IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Will this work???

garybear

Would like some expert comments. Will this work?? I found it very interesting. Seems very simple maybe to easy. I have edited this thread because it contained some bad information. I'm waiting for some good information on the subject(how to get rid of a virus. Thank you.{garybear} I respect the advice of members on this forum and honor their wisdom. This is some thing I'm very interested in, so lets hear it from those in the know. I think there are more of us dummies out there that would appreciate some good advice on this subject. I know I would. If I ever get a virus I want to know exactly what do do. If its as simple has having a back up of my OS, then I'm home free. I have never had a virus in years but sxxx happens and I want to be ready.

Simply put...no.

First off, most infections disable task manager, and even make their application unable to be terminated.

Msconfig just changes start ups. The application will force itself to start, whether you like it or not.

Regedit "might" work...but thats assuming you know all the registry settings, which is sometimes hard since most of their crap is hidden anyway.

Regsvr32 would require you know the file name. Do keep in mind, there are many files that are hidden.

Quite honestly, its all about PREVENTION. Why not have an image ready of your pc? Not only that, instead of searching yourself for all the reg keys, and file names...why not have iobit and another scanner do it for you?

The only way his method will work...is if your dealing with some OLD, pathetic virus/malware.

Sorry garybear...

Thanks

Hi vman. Hi maxx. Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to know. Hey vman its probably posted some where on the forum, but maybe you could post again ,how to get rid of a virus. You kind of did here but maybe you could be more detailed and list what to do in steps. I think you start out in safe mode and then go from there. I was also wondering if I have an image backup of my OS and restore it, will I get rid of a virus. Should I get rid of the virus first before I restore my image. I know there are some more dummies like me out there that have never had a virus and don't have a clue how to deal with one. If you could list all the steps you go through to get rid of a virus, I know it would be appreciated by every dummy like my self. It would be nice to know before you actually get one and print it out and keep it handy. Live well my friends and thanks for your posts.{garybear}

OK

Hi friends. Ok you all have convinced me this is not the way to deal with a virus. So who is going to tell me the correct way to deal with a virus?? Like I said I have never had one but I would like to be prepared if I ever do get one. Step #1 Sept #2 ect. Thank you everyone for posting on this thread.I will edit my thread and remove the web site. Live well my friends.{garybear} PS I have searched the web but haven't found any thing I trust. That's why I'm asking my friends for advice.

I will download a VMware again, and, I have to go around looking for infections. Maybe i can ask iobit to give me some of there samples. But i do NOT boot in safe mode.

An external scanner is far safer, and helps you bring your system to boot up, making it possible to bring in the "big guns".

PS.

But deleting the registry keys...well...if you do that, you just drove into f**k ville. Ah, youth, how i miss you. xD

Hey vman,

I drove through there a couple of times when I was younger and knew everything. I didn't like it there and vowed never to go back:-P.

samr

vman, you always leave me wondering.

I will download a VMware again, and, I have to go around looking for infections. Maybe i can ask iobit to give me some of there samples. But i do NOT boot in safe mode.

An external scanner is far safer, and helps you bring your system to boot up, making it possible to bring in the "big guns".

Hi vman. My friend your post always make me say to my self(what the hell did he just tell me)?? You never boot in safe mode because an external scanner is far safer and helps bring your system to boot up, making it possible to bring in the big guns. This makes no sense to this very limited PC user. Sir you are over my head so far some times I start talking to my self.lol. Once again I'm setting here trying to figure out your advice which I admire; try to understand, and then try to follow. I know you are very smart and I always listen but some times you go right over my head. Thanks for your post, live well my friend.{garybear}

????????????????

When i was young, i downloaded a registry cleaner, and it found a bunch of errors. So, me being smart, i decided to search for my registries, and found "regedit". I thought those were all problems...so... yea. :)

Hi vman. Please don't tell me you deleted the whole registry because you thought they were all errors. That's hard for me to believe. The registry does not scare me at all but I respect it and use caution when I use regedit. I was 66 years young when I booted up my first PC. I'm not afraid to go into regedit and get rid of a program I no longer want. I have not fxxxxx up any thing yet, that I know of. The first program I got rid of on my PC was AOL. I thought I would wear out the f3 key on my key board before I deleted all the entries. A good friend helped me on that and I have used regedit ever since , but I use my head, and I always create a restore point. How old were you when you booted your first PC?? Live well my friend and thanks for your post. {garybear}

Hey vman,

I drove through there a couple of times when I was younger and knew everything. I didn't like it there and vowed never to go back:-P.

samr

Hi samr. Wouldn't it be wonderful to never screw up and never drive through that town fxxx ville. But then again that would be very boring; don't you think. I don't remember much about all my screw ups and really don't want to. I have had my share on the old PC and I'm sure there will be more of them in the future, but that's why I have you guys. I'm still waiting for some good advice on how to get rid of a virus. Live well my friend and thanks for your post. {garybear}

Hi garybear,

So true! without the srew-ups I would never learn. And I would probably not run across Iobit in my search to fix them!

This is not a very techy answer to your original question, but I try to let the anti-virus and anti-malware programs deal with them. If they don't work then I start searching each individual virus by name for alternative ways to remove it. Sometimes people have designed a removal tool, or have found other programs that do remove it. Sometimes you find instructions on how to remove them manually. Depends on the virus!

My opinion anyway.

Great to hear from you! (I PM'd you a while back asking about a lake near you. Just wondered if you got it.)

samr.

Hi garybear,

So true! without the srew-ups I would never learn. And I would probably not run across Iobit in my search to fix them!

This is not a very techy answer to your original question, but I try to let the anti-virus and anti-malware programs deal with them. If they don't work then I start searching each individual virus by name for alternative ways to remove it. Sometimes people have designed a removal tool, or have found other programs that do remove it. Sometimes you find instructions on how to remove them manually. Depends on the virus!

My opinion anyway.

Great to hear from you! (I PM'd you a while back asking about a lake near you. Just wondered if you got it.)

samr.

Hi neighbor .Yes I got your PM and answered it. I guess you didn't get my PM. We have a house in Canton. You probably played at Cookies Club. I have played there also. Getting to old to go to lake and boat. Don't play any more. To much work setting up and tearing down equipment. Thanks for your post my friend. Live well and keep trucking. {garybear}

even worse they can infect your bios too. goto to your AV read their info pages on deleting different areas of virus infections look in their support FAQ or knowledge base handy to have this knowledge in advance.

Hi sunny. The more I read the more confused I get. Is this even close to what your telling me???PS will restoring an image from Macrium get rid of a virus. If the answer is yes, I'm going to quit researching this dumb subject.

Gary

boot files infected

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Boot-Sector-Virus

BIOS infected

A virus in the bios is normaly cleared by reloading its defaults after you have allowed it to discharge by remove-ing all power even the bios battery.

memory

turn off pc leave for 3 minutes for memory to clear and pray.

you have AVG do you used the paid for version

Hi vman. My friend your post always make me say to my self(what the hell did he just tell me)?? You never boot in safe mode because an external scanner is far safer and helps bring your system to boot up, making it possible to bring in the big guns. This makes no sense to this very limited PC user. Sir you are over my head so far some times I start talking to my self.lol. Once again I'm setting here trying to figure out your advice which I admire; try to understand, and then try to follow. I know you are very smart and I always listen but some times you go right over my head. Thanks for your post, live well my friend.{garybear}

An external scanner is, or rather what i call, a scanner from a source other than the infected computer. Example being bartpe. Using that to clean a computer is much easier, and sometimes safer than using the scanner within the infected computer *(ie the file is in use, and cannot delete, and if it does, it causes the computer to crash). The big guns is in reference to "big antiviruses", which are usually disabled, or cannot install, or, in the worst case scenario, the infection allows NOTHING to execute.

Hi vman. Please don't tell me you deleted the whole registry because you thought they were all errors. That's hard for me to believe. The registry does not scare me at all but I respect it and use caution when I use regedit. I was 66 years young when I booted up my first PC. I'm not afraid to go into regedit and get rid of a program I no longer want. I have not fxxxxx up any thing yet, that I know of. The first program I got rid of on my PC was AOL. I thought I would wear out the f3 key on my key board before I deleted all the entries. A good friend helped me on that and I have used regedit ever since , but I use my head, and I always create a restore point. How old were you when you booted your first PC?? Live well my friend and thanks for your post. {garybear}

This is reference to my youth. I did not know what i was doing, nor what registries really where. I just thought, hell, THEY ARE ERRORS TOO!!...and it allll went down hill from there. I would say was about about, oh, 5?

Hi sunny. The more I read the more confused I get. Is this even close to what your telling me???PS will restoring an image from Macrium get rid of a virus. If the answer is yes, I'm going to quit researching this dumb subject.

A proper imaging software can, and WILL get rid of your virus. That is, of course, if you do a complete re imagine.

Gary

boot files infected

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Boot-Sector-Virus

BIOS infected

A virus in the bios is normaly cleared by reloading its defaults after you have allowed it to discharge by remove-ing all power even the bios battery.

memory

turn off pc leave for 3 minutes for memory to clear and pray.

you have AVG do you used the paid for version

Or...just pop out the battery, the small little circular one. I forgot what its called. But pop that out, and the bios no longer knows a password.

Archived