IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Orbit removed services.exe now xp wont start

theght

Hi All

New to the forum

I have been using 360 and advanced system care with out any problems

However on sunday we ran a scan on my sons pc and it found a "virus" named services.exe which we know can be a backdoor trojan had it removed and bang pc closed down and we cannot restart

In normal and last good get the windows logo then it just hangs no bleeps from the hard drive

Tried safe mode but end up with screen of death Stop:0x0000007B

Checked bios all in order connections ect ok

Like all newer pc,s did not come with xp disk

Can any one please help

Hi thgeht,

services.exe is at : "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" folder.

There is also a copy of it at : "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dllcache

if you are using XP Service Pack 3,

another copy is at : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB956572\SP3QFE

For XP sp3,

The most recent version is:5.1.2600.5755

The size is:108 KB

If you can use a Windows XP install CD, or if you can start the PC in Command prompt, you can check those two folders, and if it exists in dllcache folder, you can copy it to SYSTEM32 folder. If it does not exist (in non of the above folders), then try to copy it from another PC with the same Service Pack.

If non of the above is possible for you, your hard drive should be connected to an other PC as a slave and, you can copy the services. exe file to where it belongs.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advise

I will try to bootup using an XP disk

I might fit a new Hard drive and install XP and use the "dead" drive as a 2nd HD to enable me to recover my progs can you see any problems

Spoke to the local PC shop they wanted £50 to recover only 10-15gb of data as well as sell me a new XP home edition for £70 seems a bit harsh to me or am I a bit mean

Regards

I don't think your drive is a dead one.

When you have the XP CD, use the Recovery Console in it. You can start seeing the content of your PC in command prompt mode.

Just learn, how to use the the "Copy" command, and how to go to a specific file in that mode, from internet. And that's it.

If you find the CD, please post back and we can guide you how to.

You don't need a recovery tool, specially at £50 to recover your disk.

Tell them to show you how you connect a slave hard drive to a PC.

Also £70 for XP home addition seems to me a bit high.

What was your XP's version?

Cheers.

Cheers for the info and I will give that a try

I was running XP home but it was on a hard drive that used to be on my Dell

But when the motherboard died I (with help from a friend) replaced the Motherboard and case but used the old Hard drive ect I had to contact microsoft for the very very long code to accept the new bios but have since sold the old dell case. Looks like a new xp disk for me but the intergloble softwear xp at £35.00 with 2 licences dont look bad value

Regards

Geoff

Archived