IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows Firewall Lacking/s...x

Stevenvee

Hi Stevenvee,

You have to inform us about your OS and capabilities of your hardware, as some of the firewalls are resource hoggers.(Uses too much CPU and too much RAM.)

There are very good free firewalls on the market for XP, Vista, and Windows7, but I can only say that I am using ZoneAlarm for a very long time , and happy with it on my XP and Vista, and only MS's own firewall for Windows7.

Quite a lot of different firewalls are used by many users in the forum, and some of them may make good suggestions also.

Cheers.

Steve

I'm not a fan of "soft" firewalls.The only firewall I run is the one in my Linksys router.You don't need more than one PC to use a router.The folks at Linksys will help you set it up if you wish.I advise the set-up to NOT respond to "pings".No matter which way you decide to go,check your "stealth" over at GRC after you're set up.With only the hardwall in my router,my PC is not "visible" on the net,and will "talk to no one" after running every test available from that site.You can also just Google up "best free firewall"-most all will have associated forums where you can read and get feed back from real users.Anything near the top of the list over at Matousec will give excellent protection.The forums will help you determine the best suited to your needs in respect to ease of use,and as Enoskype points out,memory usage.

Thanks for your responses. I do have a linksys router but do not know how to manipulate any associated software. In fact, I don't know where to look for any software that is installed on my computer.

As to the other point, my system is old and I do occasionally get messages indicating low ram. I have 64 mb ram. I have been looking for a new system as well. Just waiting on $$$'s.

I want to do the hardware firewall so any help you could pass on would be appreciated.

steve

Router's a Good Start

Well Steve,there's sixty bucks you don't have to spend,so you're off to a good start! Can you identify your OS (operating system) please? Are you certain of your total memory(ram)at 64Mb? That would be only one eighth of one Gigabyte,where one Gig is barely a minimum for today's computing.I can steer you toward additional Ram if need be-the where,what type,and how much to spend.But first,have a look at this short tutorial..Many more are available by Googling "configure Linksys router"-add model # if you know it.I suggest you spend some time reading this and other articles of it's kind to familiarize yourself with your router and it's workings.If you are uncomfortable changing any configuration settings,simply contact Linksys Support, and have your model and serial numbers at the ready.Knowing a bit of what you are talking about is always useful when dealing with support staff.Many configurations for your router are "pre-packed" and ready for download,or a tech can walk you through a set up that is right for you.If you are not comfortable with the tech you get the first time,excuse yourself from the call,and call back.Please post back with your OS and confirmation of your total Ram.

Whoops 256MB. When I built the system that was a lot :) I am not going to add $$'s in RAM to a relic. The computer is over 8 years old and on an old AMD 1.47 Ghz Athlon processor. When I custom designed it back in the day it was the hottest thing available. Had a GeForce 400 which back then cost $250. It still preforms, streams and games pretty well.

The os is XP home addition which I added after I built the system.

Archived