IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Where to find pc's BANDWIDTH (???)

firefly

I was trying to optimize my internet connection with my 'Advanced System Care'. It asks for my 'BANDWIDTH' but I am not sure what my bandwidth is. Does anybody know where to look on the computer/control panel/??? to find this info? I have a Windows Vista Acer laptop btw. My email is > e-mail deleted< if you know and can offer some help here. Thank you. Thank you.

Fire Fly:smile:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi firefly

You ought to know what kind of connection you have, - the higher bandwidth the more it usually costs. (What you pay your internet provider for)

Try writing bandwidth in Search and read the relevant posts, quite a lot has been written about it.

The actual bandwidth (speed) can vary for a number of reason, - how much traffic at the moment, how close you are to the server, the quality of your connection (copper line) etc.

But you can get an idea about your current speed by using some free product that measure it, - for example http://www.speedtest.net/

Or go to your Internet provider's site and log in with your username and password and you will then probably be able to see the information there.

Cheers

solbjerg

I was trying to optimize my internet connection with my 'Advanced System Care'. It asks for my 'BANDWIDTH' but I am not sure what my bandwidth is. Does anybody know where to look on the computer/control panel/??? to find this info? I have a Windows Vista Acer laptop btw. My email is > e-mail deleted< if you know and can offer some help here. Thank you. Thank you.

Fire Fly:smile:

It asks for my 'BANDWIDTH' but I am not sure what my bandwidth is.
Good question, firefly, and one that many would like the answer to. Many of us use the term without really knowing its exact meaning. A popular belief is that you can liken bandwidth to the diameter of a pipe or to the number of lanes on a highway. Can anyone give a simple definition to this much used term?

Hi Ted

You are right

Broadband could be likened to a multilane highway where the direction you drive could be the upstream lanes (upload) and the other direction (that usually has more lanes) could be the downstream lanes (download).

The bandwidth in this context would then be the number of lines measured in both directions (usually with download width first and then / the upload width)

It can be seen as a measurement of the speed with which the data transmission takes place.

The bandwidth is really the range of frequencies utilized in the transmission of data.

There have been very many definitions of this over the years ranging from as low as 64 kbit/s to 2 mbit/s, currently I think that the official "speed" is around 750 kbit/s to merit the designation broadband.

Cheers

solbjerg

Good question, firefly, and one that many would like the answer to. Many of us use the term without really knowing its exact meaning. A popular belief is that you can liken bandwidth to the diameter of a pipe or to the number of lanes on a highway. Can anyone give a simple definition to this much used term?

Hi, solbjerg,

Thank you for clarifying that. I did learn all about bandwidth in my early days as a TV technician, but someone told me recently that one of the side-effects of the cholesterol-lowering drug Lipex, which I take daily, is memory loss. So that's my excuse.

Hi Ted

Well, at least we are using the computer and in this way lubricating our brains a bit, but age will slow us down some they say, - and the age induced forgetfullness is something we all experience. I am with you there :-)

A lot of technical information about broadband and bandwidth can be found on the internet, but I thought that a short layman description was what you were advertising for :-)

So I staggered through it :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, solbjerg,

Thank you for clarifying that. I did learn all about bandwidth in my early days as a TV technician, but someone told me recently that one of the side-effects of the cholesterol-lowering drug Lipex, which I take daily, is memory loss. So that's my excuse.

Hi firefly.I'll leave the technical stuff to the old guys. I'm a young 71 years old. Don't know all that technical stuff but if we're talking speed, I right click on my DSL icon in the system tray where the clock is and then click status. I suspect all servers are different but that' how mine works.You can also click start, connect to, server name DSL,status and find your speed. Not real good explaining things but I have an excellent screen printing program.{garybear}

Hi gary

You are right, that way you should be able to see your connecting speed (bandwidth), but you should not have used the Local Area Network (LAN) to depict it, the status of the Internet gateway would have shown the connecting speed.

Beautiful pictures - so try with one more where you show the status of the Internet gateway connection. :-)

LAN just shows you the maximum connection speed of your ethernet card - not the actual connecting speed to the Internet.

Sorry I didn't mention this method - put it down to age :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi firefly.I'll leave the technical stuff to the old guys. I'm a young 71 years old. Don't know all that technical stuff but if we're talking speed, I right click on my DSL icon in the system tray where the clock is and then click status. I suspect all servers are different but that' how mine works.You can also click start, connect to, server name DSL,status and find your speed. Not real good explaining things but I have an excellent screen printing program.{garybear}

Ok gary

I'll submit a screenshot too, hope it will be decipherable in Danish :-)

Network Connections

Start/Control Panel/Network Connections - right click your Internet gateway and choose Status.

Cheers

solbjerg

P.s. by the way gary what does this say in relation to your internet connection speed?

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2014&d=1255265612

Ok solbjerg. Mine both show the same speed but LAN has limited or no connectivity, what ever that means. To me it means I can't access the internet. Here are screen prints of both. Live well my friend.{garybear}

Hi friend

Hi solbjerg. Nice screen print. I couldn't read but it looked good to me. WOT tells me your web page has a bad reputation, so I didn't take the test. I will wait until you confirm it is safe to use. Live well my friend. {garybear} Sorry friend I must have clicked the wrong place the first time.

Hi gary

You must have clicked "Free scan" - shouldn't do that just "Begin test"

That doesn't generate a warning - by me at least.

Cheers

solbjerg

And enoskype - thanks for the readable screenshot :-)

Hi enoskype. Yes I can read yours.What about the speed test. Wot is giving me warnings. Can you advise me on that?

Just to show you that it is not Max. allowable download speed, I have taken another snapshot now, same conditions same notebook,same connection, etc., but different value!!!

First one was 3.2 Mbps, and this time 2.8 Mbps. 8)

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2020&d=1255282227

garybear, if I remember correctly, we have optimized your connection a while ago!!!:roll:

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

Yes you are right, but mine shows precisely the same right now as my first one except for how long I have been on the net :-)

Speedtest tells me that I have 4.85Mbit/s download and 0.85Mbit/s upload at the moment. My own server says pretty much the same in their speedtest.

During some downloads in the middle of the night I have seen speed bursts that was a bit over 6mbps.

Cheers

solbjerg

Just to show you that it is not Max. allowable download speed, I have taken another snopshot now, same conditions same notebook,same connection, etc., but different value!!!

First one was 3.2 Mbps, and this time 2.8 Mbps. 8)

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2020&d=1255282227

garybear, if I remember correctly, we have optimized your connection a while ago!!!:roll:

Cheers.

Hi solbjerg,

The speed tests never (almost) give the correct value, and you will get different values in different times.

Can you communicate with your ADSL (Router), you can see there the real allowable max. download and upload speeds.

The default to enter @ 192.168.1.1 usually is:

User Name: admin

Password: admin

Cheers.

Hi enoskype

I have a connection to TDC that is called 10mbps/1mbps but due to the distance and the quality of the copper lines I cannot expect more than 5.5mbps/0.85mbps, they adviced me about that when I signed up for the increase in speed some months ago, - it was an offer that gave me a bit higher speed (from 4mbps/256kbps to nominally 10mbps/1mbps) for less money - I saved the amount I payed for the subscription to the telephone.

Now I only pay for the internet and the actual use of the phone. saving about 150 kr. per month (almost 30$)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

The speed tests never (almost) give the correct value, and you will get different values in different times.

Can you communicate with your ADSL (Router), you can see there the real allowable max. download and upload speeds.

The default to enter @ 192.168.1.1 usually is:

User Name: admin

Password: admin

Cheers.

Your dealing with a dummy

Hi friends. Please know that your dealing with a dummy. Yes we have done this before and I didn't know what I was doing then nor do I know what I'm doing now. Any way I'm sending screen shots after using tool in ASC3. I do not know what the hell I'm doing .

Hi garybear,

Sorry, but you have to change in Firefox TCP Optimizer=>TCP Optimize=>General Settings tab:

"TCP Receive Window" value (RWIN) from 1022208 to 1013760

and

"Time to live" (TTL) value from 64 to 139

Keep the others same and then Apply.

After those changes, restart the PC and post here the images from Speedguide.net again as you did previously.

Cheers.

Hi there, enoskype and solbjerg,

I have a 256/128 Broadband plan and I've tried my server's free "Electrify" which is supposed to speed up downloads, but does nothing for me. I have no complaints at all with my Internet service, but as a matter of interest I followed the instructions in this thread and found that I can't access the Internet Connection Status page that you two have shown. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Ted,

Please write Internet Gateway to your Help and Support Search box and click Start searching arrow, and read on the right pane, clicking on the below subjects on the left pane:

. Discovering and controlling a shared Internet connection

. Network configurations overview

. Using Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control

After that, I believe you can create the Internet Gateway there.

Cheers.

Archived