IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows 7 and MinWin

itsmejjj

Eric Traut talks (and demos) Windows 7 and MinWin

October 19th, 2007 AEST by Long Zheng

Jump to comments

If I told you there was a public presentation and arguably demonstration of Windows 7, you probably wouldn’t believe me. Which is why I had to share this video with you.

Thanks to DigitalDud on Channel9 for noting, on October 13 last week, Microsoft’s distinguished engineer Eric Traut gave a presentation at the University of Illinois about Microsoft’s virtualization technology and also mentioned Windows 7 – the next version of Windows after Vista. And believe it or not it was on video. Whilst the presentation is not directly about Windows 7, it does contain a demonstration of MinWin – an internal project to build the most efficient Windows kernel which will in turn be used in Windows 7.

The whole presentation (WMV) goes for approximately 1 hour and includes a very deep look into hypervisors. I’ve clipped out the 8-minute segment which Eric focuses on Windows 7 specifically to make it easier to watch. Because Eric goes into a lot of detail as well as background information about what is presented, and because it’s 2AM, I won’t regurgitate it. All I’ll say is that if you think Windows at its core is bloated, think again.

just a point of interest -i came across this http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/10/19/eric-traut-talks-and-demos-windows-7-and-minwin

itsmejjj

jjj- Thanks for posting the link to the article about the original 2007 Min Win kernel and the list of the past version of the NT kernel...

NT 3.1

NT 3.51

NT 4

Windows 2000 (NT 5)

Windows XP (NT 5.1)

Windows Vista (NT 6)

Windows Seven (NT 7)

According to zdnet.com the first Win 7 beta release was not based on the Min Win kernel, but was rather designated as Windows 7 beta 1 (build 6.1.7000.0.081212-1400).

~Maxx~

------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 Recovery Disk/Boot Disk

-------------------------------------------------------------------

With Windows 7 released and currently making its way to shelves in time for the holiday season, we've taken this opportunity to upgrade our copy of the official Windows System Recovery Discs for compatibility with Windows 7.

If you're like most PC users, you probably got Windows 7 with a new PC or laptop. And if you're like 99% of the population, you get your new machines from one of the major manufacturers.

Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo; who all have one thing in common: they don't give you a real Windows 7 installation disc with your purchase. Instead, they bundle what they call a "recovery disc" (that's if you're lucky - otherwise you'll have a recovery partition instead) with your machine and leave it at that.

It doesn't matter that you just paid a thousand dollars for a machine that comes with a valid Windows 7

icense - your computer manufacturer just don't want to spend the money (or perhaps take on the responsibility) of giving you a Windows 7

installation DVD to accompany your expensive purchase.

The problem is, with Windows 7, the installation media serves more than one purpose. It's not just a way to get Windows

installed, it's also the only way of recovering a borked installation. The Windows 7 DVD has a complete "recovery center" that provides you with the option of recovering your system via automated recovery (searches for problems and attempts to fix them automatically), rolling-back to a system restore point, recovering a full PC backup, or accessing a command-line recovery console for advanced recovery purposes.

Thankfully, Microsoft seems to have realized this problem, and have thankfully made a recovery disc for this purpose.

It contains the contents of the Windows 7 DVD's "recovery center," as we've come to refer to it. It cannot be used to install or reinstall Windows 7

and just serves as a Windows PE interface to recovering your PC. Technically, one could re-create this installation media with freely-down loadable media from Microsoft

(namely the Microsoft WAIK kit, a multi-gigabyte download); but it's -decent of Microsoft to make this available to Windows' users who might not be capable of creating such a thing on their own. You can make your own copy from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, but now you have an easier alternative.

It's a 143 MiB download, and in the standard ISO format, ready to burned directly to a CD or DVD. Don't wait until your PC crashes to download a copy! Download and burn your recovery disc today, so that when the time comes, you'll be ready!

What it does: The Windows 7 Recovery Disc can be used to access a system recovery menu, giving you options of using System Restore, Complete PC Backup, automated system repair, and a command-line prompt for manual advanced recovery.

What it doesn't do: You cannot use the Windows 7 Recovery Disc to re-install Windows -

it only fixes a corrupted drive,. (backup a image !)and restore--

Why you need it: If you bought your PC from a major retailer, you didn't get this CD with , purchase.

3. When you want to use the recovery center, put the CD in your drive and boot from it. This is usually done by pressing F8 at start up, or changing the boot drive order in the BIOS.

just to make readers aware this is available--

http://www.driver-recovery-cd.com/

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-recovery-disk-boot-disk/

perhaps of interest ? and use ms7 version recovery

iitsmejjj

The Windows 7 Recovery Disc can be used to access a system recovery menu, giving you options of using System Restore, Complete PC Backup, automated system repair, and a command-line prompt for manual advanced recovery.

just tested this out --downloaded the files made a boot disk--

i wanted to be sure !

-its made for the non ULTIMATE installs of win7

this is all you need

no need for any other back up programs---if you have the limousine of MS you do not need the download ----

as its already there

wonder why thy are not in all builds -of win 7 disks-sometimes i do not understand the motivation be hide there thinking--would of saved a lot of problems!

sure we play around with soft warez ,and love it --but that's us -

as we have the means to do so--we care less if a system breaks or is totally destroyed -you cannot risk this--as you may be limited to 1 o2 systems --

we have now *8 systems -8 spare drives-2 fully back units a ton gigs to load to --sometimes it sound like a cafe -as my friends visit us -we have a lot of fun -joke about -and enjoy the net,and the forum --discuss all sort of things--

we just spent a lot of$ redoing our PC room --now -2 pc test systems--were we care less what happens--even if thy blow up!

that is why i can add a bit of advice and know its pretty right --what we post -

even sometimes its misinterpreted -as to my spelling or the way it prsented

i do try very hard to make shure i aviod this -but not always successfully-

and thank the readers for understanding-- this --not a easy ENGLISH. is the wording-and do have problems with it-Hy, but we are getting better--

itsmejjj

Remote SMB2 Vulnerability Found in Vista, Windows 7

PC Mag on September 08, 2009

A new vulnerability has been identified that affects Windows Vista, 7, and Server 2008. The issue involves the remote network SMB2 protocol, but to be affected, the computer must have file sharing turned on.

you may want to check at MS ?

here something ya can never tell

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/01/10/BAG7SNGB5V59.DTL

(01-10) 21:49 PST -- Rex Farrance was a popular senior editor at PC World magazine in San Francisco, a physical-fitness buff and a family man known for his enthusiasm for life and his sensitivity to others, friends say.

have a read --rather sad ---makes one wonder why ?

itsmejjj

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/get-windows-7-for-free-by-hosting-a-launch-party.ars

well don't know to much about this bar you could try?

Microsoft is finally going to take advantage of the best form of advertising for the next release of Windows: word of mouth. The world's largest software maker has partnered with House Party, apparently the world's leading party organizer, to encourage technology enthusiasts to throw Windows 7 launch parties in their communities between October 22 and October 29.

Microsoft won't let just anyone host such a party though; the company is being very selective. If you're interested in becoming an official host, there's an application process you'll have to go through over at houseparty.com/windows7. Furthermore, the offer is only open to residents of 12 countries: Australia, Italy, Canada, Japan, Mexico, France, Spain, Germany, the US, Hong Kong, the UK, and India.

itsmejjj

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/

Top ↑

Disabling Features and Annoyances

* Add the Quick Launch Bar to the Taskbar in Windows 7

* Create a Shortcut to Enable/Disable Aero Transparency in 7 / Vista

* Create Administrator Mode Shortcuts Without UAC Prompts in Windows 7 or Vista

* Customize the Notification Area in Windows 7 Using Local Group Policy

* Disable Aero on Windows 7 or Vista

* Disable Aero Shake in Windows 7

* Disable Aero Snap (the Mouse Drag Window Arranging Feature in Windows 7)

* Disable Caps Lock Key in Windows 7 or Vista

* Disable Delete Confirmation Dialog in Windows 7 or Vista

* Disable Power Management on Windows 7 or Vista

* Disable Program Compatibility Assistant in Windows 7 and Vista

* Disable Shortcut Icon Arrow Overlay in Windows 7 or Vista

* Disable Sidebar / Desktop Gadgets on Windows 7

* Disable System Restore in Windows 7

* Disable System Restore in Windows 7 or Vista

* Disable the "Send To" Folder on the Windows Explorer Context Menu

* Disable the Irritating Sticky / Filter Keys Popup Dialogs

* Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 7 or Vista Explorer

* Disable User Account Control (UAC) the Easy Way on Win 7 or Vista

* Disable Win+X Shortcut Keys on Windows 7 or Vista

* Disable Windows Mobility Center in Windows 7 or Vista

* Disable/Enable Lock Workstation Functionality (Windows + L)

* Easily Disable Win 7 or Vista’s Aero Before Running an Application (Such as a Video Game)

* Enable or Disable UAC From the Windows 7 / Vista Command Line

just a few tweaks tips for you -there a to many to post here --

---go to the link --you can also down load ready made prepared files to use ---

read carefully what you do--and follow there recommendations!

easy explained site --and well pared

itsmejjj

http://www.elmajdal.net/win7/Back_Up_Windows_7_by_Creating_a_System_Image.aspx

i found this site -looking for a alternative back up program-

and posted this for WINDOWS 7 users only--as we are only discussing this OS

no other OS---

here is there comments in part

Published

:

August 16, 2009

Last Updated : August 16, 2009

Introduction

A system image is a copy of the drive required for Windows to run. It can also include additional drives. A system image can be used to restore your computer if your hard drive or computer ever stops working.

Usually, when we need to create a system image to back up our hard disk or the OS drive/partition, we used to purchase 3rd party application to accomplish this important task, two of the most well known products in the market these days are Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image. How about if you can do this for free with your OS ? With Windows 7, now we can create a system image to create a complete image of the OS drive or the entire hard disk so that it can be used whenever you want to recover your system. In this article, I will introduce to you this feature and how to use it to create a system image. later in the near future, I will publish another article on how to recover your system so that it is restored to the point when the system image was created.

Summary

Windows 7 brings to you a feature where you can create a system image as a backup for the Windows system drive. It is a very useful feature and is considered a life saver when you need it, like for example when your system completely crashes, or you have installed a software and it messed up your system, so instead of formatting your machine and loading all your software again, the easiest thing is to restore your system using a system image.

for the ones that want to use win7 back up only --read the site i will xplane this nicely---check your build -as some do not have it inbuilt but

you can now download from MS a back up ISO FILE OS to burn on a cd--- -cd--

itsmejjj

Archived