IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

for those on windows 7

sunny staines

I hear people say win7 is faster than winxp. Is this true?

As you know greatest overall determining factor when it comes to speed is the build of the computer so if someone with for example a single core, 256 MB RAM, XP computer gets a new computer with a dual core, 4 GB RAM Win 7 computer they will probably say that Win 7 is faster, but a well equipped XP computer with a smokin' fast dual core processor and 4 GB of RAM may very well feel faster than a Win 7 computer with a less sophisticated motherboard.

When different operating systems are tested by unbiased professionals on equally equipped computers with the proper sets of requisite drivers the results are more truth telling and revealing of the actual performance of each of the resent Microsoft Operating Systems...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/XPVistaWin7PMzdnet.png

After seeing these results I became curious as to what my modified Vista 6.0.6000.16830 computer would benchmark at so I downloaded the 30 day trial of the same Passmark Performance Test program that zdnet used and a few minutes later I got the BaseLine result of 1,010.9 ...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/CPUMarkWMini-1.png

vman- In conclusion I would have to say that at the most basic level the answer to your question is that the Win 7 OS is faster than the XP OS, but likewise so is Vista and the 2X larger kernel size of both Vista and Win 7 allows them for many people to come bundled with a huge set of software and associated services that XP never had to deal with making a well equipped XP computer faster in its native application because it carries such a lean load, but computers with RTM Win 7 can be trimmed back to reveal the true potential of the Operating System!

~Maxx~

for me it seems so. it seems like an optimized vista.

You are right about that and there are many improvements like IE and WMP being optional rather than having them built into the OS and are not uninstallable. They also cut back on the amount of services starting during the boot, but I think that the Black Viper Windows 7 Configurations are much more rigerous. If you make an effort to trim out the software and services that you don't need you can easily shrink the size of the kernel memory use by over 100 MB.

~Maxx~

-one thing at 340 gig of apps plus ,near 850 gig full drive,its updates,seems not to slow it.

jjj- I was curious how you adapted 340 GB of applications to work with Win 7's new API because I come across people all the time who can't get their old software to work on their new Win 7 computer and it would be nice to have something hopeful to share with them.

~Maxx~

jjj- Thanks for answering my question about all of those programs that you have access to. When I got my HP computer it came preloaded with 6 GB of programs and since most of them were completely useless to me I uninstalled all but 1.75 GB of them, added some more programs most of which I use every day and I now have 2.3 GB of programs installed. When it comes to my own personal computer I am very minimalist in that if I'm not going to use it then its just needlessly taking up real estate on my hard drive. No doubt we will also be hearing hear from a lot of new Win 7 computer owners who will have purchased them with a lot of bundled bloatware.

I went through my Dad's Win 2000 computer with him last Sunday and I used the Revo Uninstaller Portable App on my 16 GB USB flash drive to uninstall dozens of programs that he hasn't used in ages some of them from almost a decade ago, but I think that he still hangs on to his old Amiga programs on floppy and cassette tape from the Amiga 1000 that he bought in 1987 which was the first computer that I learned to run.

~Maxx~

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm you think

http://us2.ixquick.com/do/metasearch.pl? or start here---or google,yahoo ask find a heap on it--????

jjj- I did originally go to the search engines and you're right there are a heap of people who have opinions on cutting services on Windows computers and after wading trough all of the crackpots and wanabe service Gurus I found Black Viper to be the most authoritative and absolutely definitive source if information to guide those interested in greatly reducing the resource consuming Services especially in Vista and Win 7 which are bloated with unneeded Services.

The expertly researched and easy to follow guides on the Black Viper website include Complete Detailed Descriptions of each Service, Default Startup Types, Dependencies and Interdependencies, Default Path and Command Line Options, and Registry Settings of all Windows Services going all the way back to Windows 2000 SP4 and right up to the present with Win 7 which Services Page was last updated just 4 days ago on October 20, 2009.

~Maxx~

jjj- So out of the 340 GB of programs you say that you have access to the 1 and only example that you could come up with and link redundantly to 4 times in a row spread out over 2 consecutive posts and then warn against installing just because "SO and SO" posted it you had to pick on me??? Really??? "Just an example" 4 times in a row!??? Who are you trying to fool???

This is certainly no way to ingratiate yourself to me after all of the profanity you have hurled at me recently. In the last post that I responded to just before this one I encouraged everyone profusely to follow your advise and get a backup system for my computer and now I come across you using a very good program which I recommended to which even Enoskype remarked "Thanks Maxxwire, I found it very useful" as a warning against program recommendations.

I am trying very hard to put up with your continual barrage of insults, purposeful defamations and accusations, but it seems as though you will go to any extreme no matter how thinly veiled to insult me for no valid reason here on the Forum. I've been posting at IObit almost daily now for nearly a year and I have never come across anyone here who is as deliberately belligerent as you are. I've learned a few thingd during my last 10 years on the internet and if I were to have needed an example for a post I would never have used anything that had a connection to you because I am trying very hard not to offend you in any way and risk a flare up of previous hostilities.

~Maxx~

PS- If you really think that there is anything wrong with the DNS Benchark program I suggest that you take it up with Steve Gibson who is a real software engineer.

jjj- All I am hoping is that we will be able to get along and post in peace. We each have a lot to share here on the IObit Forum and under the current conditions I don't mind going out of my way to acknowledge your contribution here and neither do I mind refraining from making comments that I know will upset you.

I really meant what I said when mentioned that you saved me from having to do the HP System Recovery and loose almost a year's worth of work. I am hoping that you will be able resist provoking me as I have been making a great effort not to provoke you by doing as you asked and avoiding commenting on your posts.

We can make this turn out any way we want it to turn out. Personally I like it when at the end of the evening the IObit Lounge page is filled with itsmejjj and Maxxwire posts all down the page and I am hoping that we can find it within ourselves to keep that tradition alive and do so in peace...

~Maxx~

now to get away from washing in public.

my windows 7 arived today at last, had a scare it had widows simplyfied on the front thought my voucher had got me a starter edition but on opening the case there was the 32 bit ultimate upgrade disc smilling at me. Will install next week or so[running beta of norton 360v4 this week]

had a look at windows 7 in a computer store on a display machine, shocked to see how little difference from vista other than those mac style icons at the front.

any vista upgraders got an opinion.

Archived