IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

26 Gb hard-disk space freed by mistake!!!!!

hi all

i use smart-defrag and defraggler for defragging.

during last defrag i lost 6 Gb mysteriously and the space was half full of immovable clusters (this after using optimize-defrag)

It was very strange that so many system files were on the disk immovable.

Since yesterday i upgraded from AVG 8.5 to AVG 9.5 and AVG disables WINDOWS-DEFENDER after start-up and due to the loss of 6GB i tried running chkdsk /r but it was very slow and i pressed the power-switch , shutting down and login again.

After logging- in at the notification area started appearing messages for corrupted files.

I shut down and boot again.

The pc gives message that cannot boot and i follow a proceedure for fixing system files.

When booting at last , I checked the free space of hard-disk and it was increased by 26Gb !!!

In smart defrag the black immovable clusters almost disappeared and Defraggler reported 0% fragmentation (40% before)

I donot remember the free space a year ago but what it happened is unbelievable since all my programs (system and applications are OK)

PC is faster now

cheers

Hi demitris,

You were very lucky to recover from a non- bootable PC after closing down the PC by power-off switch when chkdsk /R was in progress.:shock:

It could have corrupted the MBR.

Which method did you use for the recovery? Changing the main config files in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config ?

Most of the recovered space probably appeared because of the Restore Points.

Cheers.

hi enoskype

i switch the power off since i tried CTRL+C , CTRL+break and esc i remember we used to use from DOS age and it didn´t respond and the whole process seemed to take ages to complete.

For recovery i simply followed the instructions. It seems that it is difficult to loose OS in VISTA. I didn´t use recovery disks although there was an option

I chose the option that noted no personal files would be affected.

The recovered space i believe it is not from restore points since there is a chosen number-limit and they are autodeleted after expire.

The PC notified it was trying to repair the disk-errors

cheers

hi all

well enoskype i found out that the problem was due to defraggler(by PiriForm) operation .

I dont now if the program was corrupted due to Power Shut-down during CHKDSK /R or it is simply due to co-incidence since a few hours before i updated the defraggler and i used it and i remember it was delaying at 1% and showed activity at %MFT (i stoped it normally)

the whole scenario was repeated after a second defragmentation by defraggler and at the end i uninstalled it.

cheers

Archived