IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Of Interest to All.

Ted

This could start something:

Who of us have been faced with a difficult computer problem that no-one else seems to know anything about and then feeling on top of the world after managing to find a simple solution?

Ted- Yes you are so right that it is very satisfying to find a 'new to you tool' that solves problems and diagnoses computer security and even more satisfying when the tool is only 175 KB and written in a very potent code which can be run as a Portable App. I carry a copy of the GRC DNS Benchmark Program with me on my A Data XPG Dual Channel 16 GB USB Flash Drive and every time I have used it on someone's computer it has dropped every jaw in the room at how incisive and excruciatingly detailed the program is.

~Maxx~

Ted- I had a simply horrible time with the annoying UAC prompts in Vista that would come up every time I started a program that is until I discovered that the Comodo Defence+ Hips not only replaces UAC, but does a much better job plus it has the ability to remember your answer so that you only have to answer a prompt once and it is then permanently recorded in the Defense+ policies.

~Maxx~

MAX - you saying that about UAC makes me glad I stopped using Vista a long time ago.... I mean, even if you turn it off... you still get the stupid messages every time you try to move an inch (metaphoric of course). makes me glad to have swiched over to 7 since the beta build 6xxxx.

MAX - you saying that about UAC makes me glad I stopped using Vista a long time ago....

unlimited- It must have been a very long time ago possibly when you were using some early Beta version of Vista because since I shut UAC down I haven't heard anything from it.

I was simply trying to point out that a strong HIPS program is a totally superior upgrade to the UAC in Vista and as IT Tech Michael A. Silver of Gartner Technology points out...

Windows 7 is basically an incremental release of Windows Vista because Windows 7 is Windows 6.1 to Vista (Windows 6.0), or a Vista Release 2 (R2) if you will.

Or as Randall C. Kennedy of InfoWorld wrote in his article "Under the Hood, Windows 7 Is Vista's Twin"...

The more I dug into Windows 7, the more I became convinced that I was dealing with an OS that was a slightly tweaked, nearly baked revision of Windows Vista.

No one can argue that Win 7 in general along with its UAC aren't an improvement on out of the box unmodified Vista, but it is evident that they both came from the same original prototype and what works as a radical improvement for the the Vista UAC will also work to not only replace, but serve as a substantial security improvement on the UAC in Win 7!!

~Maxx~

I was just saying... in vista even when turning UAC off it would still pop out...

Well I must admit that my experience with Vista began with kernel v6.0.6000.16830 so there are at least a year's worth of different iterations of RTM Vista that I am not familiar with and you could have very well has one of those many versions where UAC acted differently than it does in the version that I have.

I am sure that Win 7 will be a great success and I say that after going in and stripping Vista to the bone and as a result eliminating 100 MB of RAM use from the kernel and the new Vista UltraLite is now 40% faster and starts for 501 MB at the desktop which is 1/2 of what it did when it was new stock Vista so due to the similarities I cited I am hoping that the just released Win 7 must will have a similar type of potential for radical performance enhancements when I get my new Win 7 desktop computer which will hopefully be in the near future.

~Maxx~

unlimited24- You are right...Win 7 is much different and will run much more efficiently than any retail version of Vista just as does my Vista v6.0.6000.16830 UltraLite which I put several 100 hours into to get it to boot 45 seconds faster for 501 MB RAM at the desktop and run 40% faster than it did initially. Any MS retail release leaves room for improvement and retail Win 7 has sooooo much of an advantage over retail Vista especially the very early out of the box unmodified versions.

~Maxx~

Archived