IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Toolbar?

JeffK

Seriously? I've been somewhat patiently awaiting the newest version of Security 360, as my test machine had seen issues not unlike those repeatedly mentioned in the forums here. We're talking hundreds to thousands of opened and terminated io360.exe processes that remained hooked open by io360tray. I'm in the middle of putting together a compilation of freeware system administration, authoring, configuration, and other tools to distribute from central IT at a major (40k+ students) University, and I had hopes for Security 360 being one of the malware detection offerings. The ease of use covers up for some rather notable missing options and features.

So imagine my delight when I get a notice that v1.1 is available for download. And imagine my absolute disgust when, during the installation procedure, a TOOLBAR is proffered and selected by default. This is beyond the pale for a security vendor. I hope I don't have to explain why; you should know why, and if you don't, then all the better that Security 360 will be nowhere near my test machine, any actual production machine, or the distribution to campus. I rolled my eyes at the previous things that approached shady, this is just unconscionable.

(And just to note, the issue from prior versions is still not resolved.)

Seriously? I've been somewhat patiently awaiting the newest version of Security 360, as my test machine had seen issues not unlike those repeatedly mentioned in the forums here. We're talking hundreds to thousands of opened and terminated io360.exe processes that remained hooked open by io360tray. I'm in the middle of putting together a compilation of freeware system administration, authoring, configuration, and other tools to distribute from central IT at a major (40k+ students) University, and I had hopes for Security 360 being one of the malware detection offerings. The ease of use covers up for some rather notable missing options and features.

So imagine my delight when I get a notice that v1.1 is available for download. And imagine my absolute disgust when, during the installation procedure, a TOOLBAR is proffered and selected by default. This is beyond the pale for a security vendor. I hope I don't have to explain why; you should know why, and if you don't, then all the better that Security 360 will be nowhere near my test machine, any actual production machine, or the distribution to campus. I rolled my eyes at the previous things that approached shady, this is just unconscionable.

(And just to note, the issue from prior versions is still not resolved.)

Yes, as soon as I saw that a toolbar had been included in the download I realised that Iobit had seriously lost the plot - It's bad enough that they force people to use the highly dubious Internet Explorer for downloads if updating from the program but now I see a toolbar set up no doubt with the sole intention of spying on it's customers.

Toolbars are notorious in being riddled with spyware and I have not reason to believe that Iobit will be any different

A Respectable company's image tarnished in one ill conceived move

I kinda like it's toolbar. At least it's not bundled with Ask or something similar. Google is the way to go :P

But I agree that by default, it is good when it is not selected.

Most of users overgrown their browsers with different toolbars and they don't really know how to remove them. Installation procedure is: next, I agree, next next. They don't read.

I kinda like it's toolbar. At least it's not bundled with Ask or something similar. Google is the way to go :P

But I agree that by default, it is good when it is not selected.

Most of users overgrown their browsers with different toolbars and they don't really know how to remove them. Installation procedure is: next, I agree, next next. They don't read.

Having indicated though that I did NOT want to change my homepage to google I find it changed to http://search.conduit.com/?ctid=CT2384137&SearchSource=13

This is totally inexcusable - Google the way to go?? What a load of bull I avoid that crap like the plague and am even avoiding their dodgy email service

IOBIT IS NOW OFFICIALLY CORRUPT

Having indicated though that I did NOT want to change my homepage to google I find it changed to http://search.conduit.com/?ctid=CT2384137&SearchSource=13

This is totally inexcusable - Google the way to go?? What a load of bull I avoid that crap like the plague and am even avoiding their dodgy email service

IOBIT IS NOW OFFICIALLY CORRUPT

hyderpete, JeffK,

FYI,

IObit made a survey and tests a while ago amongst the IObit Forum's most helpful frequent users and very high majority have decided to have that toolbar.

Does it mean most of them are corrupted too?

Why in the earth anyone, who doesn't want that toolbar, installs it then, having the option of not install?

Cheers.

Guy-guys-guys relax. This toolbar is not an adware or spyware like Comodo had with ask.com.

This toolbar is very good, Google powered search engine, good radio with good stations, e-mail notifier, weather watcher and a few geek stuff. I love it, it's very strange because i usually hate toolbars but IObit have done a great job.

hyderpete, JeffK,

FYI,

IObit made a survey and tests a while ago amongst the IObit Forum's most helpful frequent users and very high majority have decided to have that toolbar.

Does it mean most of them are corrupted too?

Why in the earth anyone, who doesn't want that toolbar, installs it then, having the option of not install?

Cheers.

Misled rather than corrupted - the fact remain that having taken the tick OUT of changing the homepage it was changed regardless - At least admit THAT is CORRUPT

re Toolbar

Everyone, just for clarification, when the prompt came up with the 3 check boxes, 1. install IS 360 tool bar and two google boxes, I was able to uncheck all 3 boxes to bypass if I wanted. I unchecked the two boxes regarding making Google my default search engine and the other google offering(I don't remember as I am not at my home computer) and checked the one to Install IS 360 toolbar. After installation and reboot, my default search engine is still

MSN.com. No Google came up. I then scanned with IS 360 and found no cookies or other spyware. Ran clean.

Lee

hyderpete,

No, I would not say it corrupted, but may be bugy, as in my two cases, on XP sp3 IE8, and Windows7 IE8, it did not change the home page and the search engine.

I believe, you have also unchecked those options when installing.

When are we going to hear something positive from you?

You may write your suggestions for IObit products, and I am sure IObit is going to take them into consideration.

Cheers.

Here is my take on the toolbar:

First, I HATE TOOLBARS! When Iobit sent the mods on the forum a prototype to test, I have to say I wasn't fired up about the idea. But as I started working with the prototype of this one, I could see how the features could be very useful. Nice to be able to access some of the features in the programs from the browser.

When it was released, I chose not to install in my main PC (you do have a choice). I did , to give it a chance, install it on my other pc. I have been playing with it a bit, and I have found that I actually like it. Nice to have the utilities there. Also, after going in to "Add Stations" on the radio, I have found some great Blues stations!

So, even if I HATE TOOLBARS!, I am finding I kind of like this one. I may go back & install in my other PC. Because I do have that choice:smile:.

samr.

The power of a click

I have a 9" NetBook and screen space is important so the last thing I want is a Toolbar. This is why I am very happy that IObit offered me the option to say "Thanks but no thanks" :smile:

I have to un-ticki several boxes every time I try new software so this was a breeze.

[OT] ???

What I would like is a single IObit icon in the SystemTray to replace the others. When I slick on the icon a pop-up lists all the IObit apps and allows me to see all the info plus launch the app or do a Security 360 scan or SmartDefrag or whatever.

[/OT]

All the best, woz of oz

Hi wozofoz

I think your suggestion for an IObit icon in the toolbar that gives you the possibility to choose which application you want is a good idea!!

Cheers

solbjerg

I have a 9" NetBook and screen space is important so the last thing I want is a Toolbar. This is why I am very happy that IObit offered me the option to say "Thanks but no thanks" :smile:

I have to un-ticki several boxes every time I try new software so this was a breeze.

[OT] ???

What I would like is a single IObit icon in the SystemTray to replace the others. When I slick on the icon a pop-up lists all the IObit apps and allows me to see all the info plus launch the app or do a Security 360 scan or SmartDefrag or whatever.

[/OT]

All the best, woz of oz

I am not happy with this toolbar:

#1. when I downloaded a new version of IObit it was added without my request.

#2. it cannot be deleted in Firefox/Tools/Add-ons/Uninstall - even though the helpdesk says it should work

#3. it is a 3rd party toolbar called "Conduit", clicking around gets you the Conduit homepage, which reveals they collect clicks and sell the results, and split the profits with IObit.

#4. I find this outrageous, especially considering I am a paying customer.

#5. I don't like toolbars, but this one is very poor, and steps all over most of my custom settings in Firefox.

#6. Customer support in the first email to me denied it was Adware/Spyware, and that it was benign and I could get uninstall whenever I wanted. So far everything I see is contrary to that claim.

I have contacted their ecommerce site to tell them what is going on. I have posted on sites such as MajorGeeks and Cnet, and viola, there are dozens of people around the web quite upset about this.

Edit/Delete Message

If you don't want a toolbar, then uncheck it during install, it's that simple. But to call 360 corrupt because of the toolbar is ludicrous. -kd5-

Are you attempting to help?

To call my problem ludicrous without my OS and browser in your hands is inept on your part. It's real, it is real for other users, merely search the web over the past 72 hours and see how real it is.

Archived