IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Attn: vman- About Shadow Defender

Maxxwire

vman- I downloaded and installed the 1.3 MB Shadow Defender Virtualization Program and you were certainly right about its effectiveness at virtualizing any and all drives on a computer. At first I thought what great security Shadow Defender offers because it doesn't allow anything to be written to the computer without permission from the operator, but I soon realized that when you come out of Shadow Mode and reboot the computer it is as sparkling clean as before the computer went into Shadow Mode thus eliminating the need for cleaning up the computer because it returns to the original state it was in before virtualization.

I do have some questions regarding exclusions for browsers when running Shadow Defender if you find the time to respond to this post.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/ShadowDefender.png

~Maxx~

I'm not sure what your asking, but shadow defender has an exclusions list, you can put the program as excluded, and, create a new folder and set that to be excluded as well. That way, when you download something, you can save it to your folder, and it'll still be there.

vman- What happened is that I got my Opera Browser all set up in Sandboxie so that I can run bookmarks, passwords and changes in speed dial, but even after excluding not just these file paths, but their entire App Data folders in Shadow Defender I would still loose the entire database of bookmarks after I came out of Shadow Defender and rebooted.

I suspect that this is no fault of either Shadow Defender or Sandboxie but rather a question of being able to synchronize the exemptions used in both programs. What are your thoughts.

~Maxx~

A quick, lame fix is to unsandbox, add your bookmarks, and reapply the settings.

I dont use opera, haven't for a while, but will look into it once i find some time (aside from being attacked by people) to tame this forum.

vman- No rush at all. I've been reading about your efforts to keep things civil here on the Forum and we all owe you a debt of thanks!

I already have the file paths for Opera set to perfection in Sandboxie so there is no issue with Opera. The problem I am now having is how to get Sandboxie to work with Shadow Defender and still maintain the browser's file paths to the computer.

~Maxx~

vman- I appreciate this special consideration, but in light of the current situation and your official position as an administrator we should put this conversation about Virtual Browsing on hold. At least Tzuk made it easier run Opera in Sandboxie by putting the default settings for Opera 10 in Sandxboxie v3.40 after I made my inquiry about how to do so manually in v3.38.

~Maxx~

hello everybody

this program -Shadow Defender- looks like DEEP FREEZE

Deep Freeze is used in many School IT-Labs.

All changes made on hard-disks (downloads etc) are cancelled after Shut-Down.

They create a partition called Thaw-disk where u can save anything u want on a permanent basis.

cheers

demitris- Exactly! I am still trying to find a way to effectively allow those permanent changes to the disc with Shadow Defender by using exceptions either on a file level or a much broader folder level, but I haven't found just the right combination yet.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxxwire,

vman was using Returnil Pro, which is similar to what demitris mentions.

I used it for a while , but was forgetting that virtualization when I really needed someting in my PC it was too late as it was gone.

Sometimers, what else would you expect? :lol:

Cheers.

enoskype- That's why I have stuck with using Sandboxie because if there is something left in the Virtual Sandbox that the browser was running it will first offer quick recovery of anything left in the Sandbox before it is deleted. I also suffer from sometimers and the fact that Sandboxie will not allow the Virtual space to be deleted before the user is offered a chance to transfer any contents to the computer comes in handy from time to time.

Probably the biggest drawbacks for me concerning using Shadow Defender are that in order to come out of Virtualization Mode the computer must be restarted and it uses 8X as much RAM as the 5 MB of RAM that Sandboxie requires.

~Maxx~

Archived