IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Anti virus & registry cleaner am I right?

emttaff

emttaff- How are you coming along with the much simpler and more essential job of trimming down your Startup Programs which we have barely scratched the surface of doing before we get into other matters? I can see a number of things in the Hijack This log that could be removed, but the secret of success here is taking care of cleaning up your Startup Programs first and by doing so many Programs on the Hijack This log will have already been eliminated by the time we get to it.

~Maxx~

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

emttaff- You've made a lot of progress by eliminating 7 items from the Startup! Does this mean that you intend to keep Google Updater and the two Adobe programs to start each day? Also, if you are not using the real time scanning feature in IS360 you could leave it for on demand use. Windows Media Player will also work on demand without having to start and run all day which can use large amounts of both CPU and RAM. Did you look the Toshiba programs including TOSCDSPD.exe up on a search engine to see if they need to start and also the NDSTray.exe, RtHDVCpl.exe and any others you don't recognize?

You only have to look these up this once and then you will know if they have Starting Status or not. You will very likely to be able to shrink the core programs that Start to less than 10 unless you need to have more its all up to you.

~Maxx~

Ccleaner by default, is set to delete only the newest Temp files/logs/history. I think its within the 24 (one day) hour mark.

To allow ccleaner to delete EVERYTHING do the following:

Launch ccleaner

Options -> Advance -> uncheck the "only delete in the windows temp folder within 24 hours"

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2701&stc=1&d=1258716090

ok ive ajusted the remainer hope you approve

emttaff

WoW- You've cut the number of Startup Programs in 1/2! Who would not approve of the job that you have done! This will economize on the amount of CPU and RAM that is being used by your Vista Computer every minute that it is running and will allow the programs that are being used access to more transparently access system resources resulting in greater responsiveness.

As far as how the CCleaner Advanced Options work with respect to the deletion of files created over the most recent 24 hour period please see the attachment.

~Maxx~

emttaff- The first thing that jumped out at me when I read your Hijack This log was that you are running 5 toolbars in your IE Browser. I can not say what is bad anymore than the log itself can, but you may want to reconsider having all of them running. Also, have you ever considered running a more secure browser like Firefox or Opera that does not use Active X?

~Maxx~

ive looked at the HijackThis file and I must admit im uneasy about what to do with regards to the programs displayed. unfortunately my knowledge is still limited and am unsure what to remove and what to leave. I would appreciate some help with this please Max.

regards

emttaff

You got that right

emttaff- This is a common situation as many computers that I have worked on had toolbaes installed that the owner was not aware of because so many program downloads sneak them in on an automatic opt-in basis.

~Maxx~

Hi friend. You got that right. You have to be very careful when you down load programs. They all want to stick a tool bar on you and that includes IObit:lol::lol: But how is the best way to get rid of the ones you don't want??

They all want to stick a tool bar on you. But how is the best way to get rid of the ones you don't want??

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/RevoImg.jpg

The Revo Ininstaller will list each toolbar by name, do a restore point and then remove them along with all of their leftover Registry values.

~Maxx~

ive looked at the HijackThis file and I must admit im uneasy about what to do with regards to the programs displayed. unfortunately my knowledge is still limited and am unsure what to remove and what to leave. I would appreciate some help with this please Max.

regards

emttaff

Hijack This was designed to expose Malware at the program code level. If there aren't any Malware programs detectable then everything is fine in the log. I didn't see any indication of Malware in your Hijack This log, but if some other Member does then hopefully they will call your attention to it.

If you are unsure as to whether your Vista computer is infected run a Comodo Antivirus scan. If you still want another opinion you can download the A-Squared Free 4.5 Malware Scanner for an authoritative second opinion.

The next step is thinning out those 72 Vista Services that are run constantly so if you can go into Start> Control Pannel> Administrative Tools> Services and take a couple of screenshots showing what Services are automatic, manual and disabled and hopefully we can trim some of the major Services that are the most resource consuming many of which you no longer use the other more trivial Services will have to be left up to you and the Black Viper Vista Services Description and Recommendations.

~Maxx~

garybear- Win XP is such a fast and wonderfully economic Operating System when properly cared for. When I visited my sister she asked me to take a look at her Win XP3 Dell Laptop which was not doing well at the time and took 15 minutes just to reach a destination on the internet. First I took care of the most apparent problem and cleaned out 112 Viruses, Worms and Trojans and then after cleaning out the Temp files, thinning out the Startup programs, disabling some Services she wasn't using I spent an entire 6 hours one evening using Smart Defrag to first Defrag then Fast Optimize and finally Deep Optimize the with each step taking about 2 hours each on this 60 GB hard disc drive that apparently had never even been defragged before.

Finally I used MV RegClean 5.9 and ASC 3 to clean the Registry and I set up Smart RAM to start with the computer and now her Win XP3 Dell laptop is so blistering fast that SpeedTest.net clocks it at 17.4 Mbps on her 16 Mbps maximum bandwidth Road Runner Wireless Service and it starts and runs all day on 160 MB of RAM thanks to the amazing IObit Smart RAM!

~Maxx~

Firstly I must appologise for my absence last few days some RL issues to deal with. When I get home from work I will run the uninstaller program you have kindly provided to remove the toolbars.

One thing I have noticed since starting these slimming down and speeding up essentials, is that internet explorer stops working from time to time which never happened before. Thought I would mention it as you guys no doubt have the answer.

Regards

Emttaff

British by birth (Welsh by the grace of god)

emttaff- No need to apologizing for having a life we've been there. My youngest turns 30 this next year and as you can see ol' garybear can go on and on quite naturally.

When you can please let us know how it goes uninstalling those toolbars. I would think that alone would speed up your browsing.

Most of my experience with IE was with IE6 which crashed at least twice a day and my Vista computer was as bloated as can be back then. Other than that I downloaded IE8 directly from Microsoft and it ran pretty fast at first and then froze up on me so I just continued using Firefox until I discovered the incredible programmability, usability and blazing fast 30+ Mbps speed of Opera.

~Maxx~

Archived