IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

emttaff's QUESTIONS!!!

emttaff

deleting restore points

Hi emttaff,

Make sure that you have a problemless PC, before trying to delete the Restore Points.

I would advise you to use CCleaner, as it has a function to delelete all Store Points except the last one on all recent Widows OSs.

After making sure that you have a PC working OK, and you don't have any virus/malware, create a Restore Point and then use the function of CCleaner.

I am sure, a lot of users are going to respond to your questions, but it is better to keep them in minimum number of threads please.

PS. I have changed the name of the title of the thread to" emttaff's QUESTIONS!!!".

Cheers.

deleting restore points

Hi emttaff

One easy way to create some free space is to reduce the amount of space used by Windows System Restore.

As far as I remember it is set by default to 12% of the harddisk capacity.

You can easily cut that down to 5% if you have many GB capacity in your harddisk, those 7% could be a sizeable freed amount e.g. 7 GB in a 100 GB harddisk.

It can be done by right clicking My Computer and Properties, then the tab System Restore then mark for example C: and hit the button details (or whatever they say in the English OS)

Then you will see a slide that lets you choose how many percentages you want to reserve for this System Restore function.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. If you want to the Windows system Restore function to work you have to leave it enough space for at least some restore points. :-)

hi, im actually starting to make a little sense of what you guys are talking about. Im interested to know how to delete system resore points and backups on my pc when theres more than one. anyone able to help please

regards

emttaff

emttaff- First- Follow enoskype's advise.

Second- As a supplement to Solbjerg's advice Vista's Volume Shadow Copy Service creates over 1.5 GB of Shadow Copies each day and will store an amount of these between 20% and 30% of the total amount of space of the hard disc which is determined by the maker of your computer which can build up to a total 40 GB of 60 GB of space on a 200 GB drive.

If you are sure that your Vista computer is clean and to want to delete most of these Shadow Copies down to the last restore point and reclaim space on your computer's hard disc drive simply go to Start>Computer and do a properties check on the main drive click on Disc Cleanup>More Options>System restore and Shadow Copies and it will eliminate all of the many GB's of Shadow Copies that VSCS has made down to the last restore point.

Before I knew this my Vista computer used to use over 60 GB of hard drive space when I only had Vista and a few programs totaling about 22 GB on it and it was a relief to find out how to reclaim the space on the hard disc drive that the old Shadow Copies were using.

~Maxx~

Please keep in mind that emttaff is running Vista and it is a lot different than XP from what I have seen in the directions and attachments which have been posted. There are a lot of things that Microsoft put out of reach in Vista that were fully accessible in XP and apparently the user setting of the Volume Shadow Copy size was one of them because they are set by the computer maker in Vista.

~Maxx~

Hi

Please keep in mind that emttaff is running Vista and it is a lot different than XP from what I have seen in the directions and attachments which have been posted. There are a lot of things that Microsoft put out of reach in Vista that were fully accessible in XP and apparently the user setting of the Volume Shadow Copy size was one of them because they are set by the computer maker in Vista.

~Maxx~

Sorry I'll not respond again . I guess xp3 is back in the dark ages but please remember there are other users on the forum besides you and emttaff. LIve long and well my friend.

Hi Mongoose

@ garybear,

I was wondering why you have your restore piont set on 12%, isnt that alittle to much.

Hi friend . I was just showing the default settings. Thank you for your post and your concerns. It is much appreciated by this old man. I'm never to proud to listen to my fellow members. I have a very simple PC and lots of free space. I don't do movies , pictures, games or music. I do on occasions clear my restore points with Ccleaner. Thank you for your post friend.---garybear

garybear- I apologize for offending you, but we have a newbee here asking questions about his Vista computer and getting responses that have functions that can not be found in Vista. I was only trying to help emttaff from going through the same kind of frustration that I went through years ago and that was trying to understand Vista with directions from XP and I certainly did not mean to offend anyone.

garybear- All of my friends have XP and almost every time they would try to help me with my Vista computer I would discover that it worked differently than they had described! These experiences led me to make the comments that I did about the differences in VSCS between XP and Vista because when I asked my friends about it back then they simply replies "Just shut VSCS off!" so I went home and tried to, but that feature was discontinued in Vista they will let you delete Shadow Copies, but in Vista they no longer let you scale them back or turn them off.

I hope that the differences in our Operating Systems won't breach the friendship that we have developed because besides these minor OS differences I still feel that we have much more in common.

~Maxx~

PS- I own Vista, but I have also have run and very much admire the XP3 Operating System and all I have ever done with Vista is to try to make it run as fast and efficiently as XP3. I know that its the impossible dream for Vista to ever be as marvelously efficient as XP3, but just trying to accomplish it has taken me a long ways in the right direction!

Hi Maxx

and all others.

I apologize - in my post I should have emphasized that I was talking about Windows XP.

Sorry about that, - but still - some XP users might benefit from it I hope :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

garybear- I apologize for offending you, but we have a newbee here asking questions about his Vista computer and getting responses that have functions that can not be found in Vista. I was only trying to help emttaff from going through the same kind of frustration that I went through years ago and that was trying to understand Vista with directions from XP and I certainly did not mean to offend anyone.

garybear- All of my friends have XP and almost every time they would try to help me with my Vista computer I would discover that it worked differently than they had described! These experiences led me to make the comments that I did about the differences in VSCS between XP and Vista because when I asked my friends about it back then they simply replies "Just shut VSCS off!" so I went home and tried to, but that feature was discontinued in Vista they will let you delete Shadow Copies, but in Vista they no longer let you scale them back or turn them off.

I hope that the differences in our Operating Systems won't breach the friendship that we have developed because besides these minor OS differences I still feel that we have much more in common.

~Maxx~

PS- I own Vista, but I have also have run and very much admire the XP3 Operating System and all I have ever done with Vista is to try to make it run as fast and efficiently as XP3. I know that its the impossible dream, but just trying to accomplish it has taken me a long ways in the right direction!

NP

Sorry friend. NP. solbjerg and I will stay off this thread. We will always be friends Maxx. We were just trying to help our new member and didn't realize we were talking different OS .Your post was a little catty, but I have NP with your comments, how ever I can see why jjj loses it some times. Live well and long my friend. Did you see my videos on sansboxie??

Hi emttaff

By the way allow me to suggest that you read all of Usage of IObit Products - there is a lot of information in that thread with links to interesting and/or informative posts in the forum and elsewhere.

Also HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Maxx

and all others.

I apologize - in my post I should have emphasized that I was talking about Windows XP.

Sorry about that, - but still - some XP users might benefit from it I hope :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I have to add my 2 cents. Never be afraid to ask a question on this forum, because there are probably others that want to know but afraid to ask. There are no dumb questions on this forum my friend.

XP users might benefit from it I hope yes i did !

ehhhh

yas, here ya go now that's handy i forgot ! very simple is it not..

well i just been gifted 3 PC more junk,and 1 was a Packard Bell --now here is a nice little pretty desk top unit! and i rebuild it -adding extra mem-it only had 256

MB DDR,266MHz chip any how now has 1 gig ,till i find 2 gig chips,poppin in a nv 64mg video card-replaced the dvd.and it run very fast..

i installed VISTA..OK so far so good,have a 40 gig drive,1 4 gig,--and its so very still when running--so there ya go ! ok i will install macrum reflect -to learn it use.

ps guess what? ran ok till i hit the net-the first basic mistake i made?

try a update,as my fire wall was blocking the download attempt-i disengaged -it -still blocking update -shut down the filters--yep the download started

so did virtual girl ,graph -3 icons on the screen -next a link,and asking to install what ever.i tried to halt this .but a download entered my new system -Packard--pc.well guess what yep new format as now i got this stripper on my screen!

to say the wife unpressed-telling me

you dirty old man! make ya ow tea-----and here is i trying to tell her -she bluntly interrupted,saying .yes dear with your blocking?

so now having ta make my cup of tea myself-reinstall the system --

see it happens

itsmejjj

Hi maxx

garybear- It could have been that I was the only one to have missed or misunderstood your initial reference. Could you provide a link so that I can see the videos also?

~Maxx~

HI maxx. Here you go. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&oi=video_result&ct=res&cd=4&ved=0CBsQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGueXMq-Vyi8&rct=j&q=Sandboxie&ei=slD-SouaL9K0tgej_7iTDg&usg=AFQjCNHGBAMkPCl2cOps723utS3hAbtatw

garybear- Yes I've seen that video by Matt aka VetteTech of Remove-Malware.com! You know my people! :grin: Matt does some of the most detailed, rigerous and yet easy to understand security software demonstration reviews that I've ever seen on the internet. I'd say something here about how ultra simple and totally effective Sandboxie browser virtualization is at eliminating even the possibility of Malware infection, but Matt's live recoded 'in the wild' demonstrations are a very tough and comprehensive act to follow!

Can I assume that you have seen

where he purposely loads piece after piece of the nastiest kinds of Malware into Sandboxie and then watches as it tries to infect and steal information from what they think is the computer without any success?
of the Sandboxie Series series on Recovery is interesting also.

~Maxx~

Hi Maxx

garybear- Yes I've seen that video by Matt aka VetteTech of Malware-Removal.com! You know my people! :grin: Matt does some of the most detailed, exaustive and yet easy to understand security software reviews that I've ever seen on the internet. I'd say something here about how ultra simple and totally effective Sandboxie browser virtualization is at eliminating even the possibility of Malware infection, but Matt is a very tough and comprehensive act to follow!

~Maxx~

Hi maxx. OK we have all this ironed out and I'm going to bed. You and jjj are wearing me out.:-D Can you help me out with JJJ and MSE?? I can' seem to get through to him and he thinks I'm wobbling---gary

Hi guys, I much appreciate everyones imput, at the end of the day everyone is trying to help and that is fantastic. Garrybear ive yet to do this process with 2 XP OS so if you have the time i would be interested in tapping into your experience after ive completed the current vista project. maybe you could write some notes on the XP OS for me to save time later. Its funny really in my family if you know a little about something you become the resident expert. I have my daughters, sister-in-laws and the inlaws XP desktops to sort out so belive me the XP information will come in extremly handy in the not so distant future I hope. Once the word gets out ive looked at theres the list will proberly become larger.

kind regards

emttaff

British by birth (Welsh by the grace of god)

Hi guys, I much appreciate everyones imput, at the end of the day everyone is trying to help and that is fantastic. Garrybear ive yet to do this process with 2 XP OS so if you have the time i would be interested in tapping into your experience after ive completed the current vista project. maybe you could write some notes on the XP OS for me to save time later. Its funny really in my family if you know a little about something you become the resident expert. I have my daughters, sister-in-laws and the inlaws XP desktops to sort out so belive me the XP information will come in extremly handy in the not so distant future I hope. Once the word gets out ive looked at theres the list will proberly become larger.

kind regards

emttaff

British by birth (Welsh by the grace of god)

Hi emttaff.I think you have your hands full with Maxx right now but I would answer any questions you have. There are many members much more qualified them I on this forum, but would be proud to help any way I can.---gary

Archived