IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

So advice on LINUX for this old fella

itsmejjj

ok any users please post ,a few things i need to know

1 do i need a fire wall?

virus app?

ip blocker?

What ever else----

where can i get them ..

thank you

Hi itsmejjj:

Debian Linux is probably the best Linux to use. Ubuntu is a distribution built from or derived from Debian.

Firewall: Every Linux distribution has it's own firewall structure built from something called iptables. This topic is quite advanced, however on most Linux distributions someone who is a beginning and doesn't know how to set or build iptables directly can use the standard, medium or high settings for the Linux firewall provided within a particular Linux distribution interface controlling the iptables.

Antivirus app: Every Linux distribution has access to all open source (free) projects available for Linux. One of the best is Clamav. They are so far ahead of every commercial vendor that it is pretty amazing. In any case, setting up Clamav (or any similar project) is not easy even if you follow directions. Make sure that you become a member of their user's mailing list so that you learn and get help from people experienced in using that program.

IPblocker: This is another function of iptables. Again this is a very advanced topic.

I recommend going to Debian Linux, Red Hat and other Linux distribution's websites and just read what you can regarding those distributions. More useful details are here: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4972

thank you for your reply and this is helping

just installed my fire wall .now i downloaded fire starter--its on the drive

how to install it from the file--please--thanks

please bear with me thank you---till i get the idea how --to do tasks

this is very new to me-its not win that is for sure---

itsmejjj

thank you for your reply and this is helping

just installed my fire wall .now i downloaded fire starter--its on the drive

how to install it from the file--please--thanks

please bear with me thank you---till i get the idea how --to do tasks

this is very new to me-its not win that is for sure---

itsmejjj

Hi itsmejjj:

Simply stated iptables are part of every Linux distribution and don't need to be "installed". I have no idea what "fire starter" you are referring to; I've heard the term referred to as destructive programs however. Why you would want them as a beginner in Linux is beyond my understanding as you should be learning how to implement iptables against fire starters.

There are many texts, manuals and web references for beginners in Linux. I provided one link which is a useful starting point. However, feel free to refer to your local library and/or university reference. Your local library branch may have a college text which you can borrow for a time and begin your learning in some depth.

Debian Linux includes over 20,000 applications free; other Linux distributions provide less applications. You the user determine which one to use; the manual and information regarding their use is embedded within the Linux operating system. Just open a terminal window and execute a command to learn. Let's say I want to learn about an application called parted. Then within the terminal do:

$man parted

or

$info parted

Respectfully, please understand that there is no way to explain or guide you through so complex a system via this Forum -- not by me anyway -- as it is not a Linux dedicated or specific Forum covering cross references pertaining to Linux.

The best place to begin your learning is at the site I referred you to previously. It is not the only place to begin, but it is a good one.

Respectfully, please understand that there is no way to explain or guide you through so complex a system via this Forum -

sure ,as i wanted a bit of a pointer to links was more my point.

not start a long session on how ta use it ;this is my toy ,nor really will it replace my ,systems

i now have a new OS that i am testing .looking good..i am MS user,but tinker ,in any thing..

"fire starter" part of the installing add on.its a fire wall ,but thank you

the forum at Linux has a lot of info ,i am for the time being only playing with it

now of net as it installed 134 extras.that i need to discover..thank you again for the reply and good advice--only wanted links to a fire wall virus that i now see and will look at..how ta work this in my spare time,

again thank you ..

the rest trial and error...

itsmejjj

... i wanted a bit of a pointer to links was more my point.

not start a long session on how ta use it ;this is my toy ,nor really will it replace my ,systems

i now have a new OS that i am testing .looking good..i am MS user,but tinker ,in any thing..

Dear itsmejjj:

You may discover a great deal of surprising strength and complexity in Linux which would be quite helpful in learning nearly any area one can imagine. MS Windows is flexible, but Linux because it is open source is something one can learn and build with in cooperation with many others likewise volunteering their time and effort which also allows you to explore and share every important area of computer related tasks. There are very many open source projects of various levels of complexity. This expanded communal process is different than what exists in standard proprietary (closed) operating systems such as Microsoft, Apple and other operating systems.

..."fire starter" part of the installing add on.its a fire wall ,but thank you

the forum at Linux has a lot of info ,i am for the time being only playing with it now of net as it installed 134 extras.that i need to discover..thank you again for the reply and good advice--only wanted links to a fire wall virus that i now see and will look at..how ta work this in my spare time,

again thank you. the rest trial and error...

As you explore various aspects of Linux visit the mailing lists which support those projects/applications. For instance there exists a rather amazing program called The Gimp which provides the same flexibility and capability of Photoshop! The Gimp however is also flexible enough to be used as a development platform for creating world/universe environments of many well known games and movies relying upon computer generated animations. I've come across specialized projects which use the Gimp to build medical applications illustrating organ and system functions operating in real time.

One application does all that because people (at various skill levels) chose to build upon the Gimp and extend it's capacity to address their own needs. Hopefully, as you continue to explore Linux and play with it and other applications you'll discover a project/application which peaks your curiosity which you may consider becoming a community member of and participating with.

Good Journey...

" you may consider becoming a community member of and participating with."

Na- thank you for the" link",not that interested ta get mixed up with the Linux crowd,our be a community member.i have read plenty on there forums,

not my type of animal.like i said just looking,shopping about.i wanted links.and no have a few ,i have it on one system .that's all i wanted.like i said now playing with a brand new OS ZX --see how we go with this...it So far it pars up with win 7.i will talk about this later..in the next year.

thanks any how.

Archived