IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Rockin' RocketDock

Maxxwire

Here is where it started for me...

Another vote for RocketDock here :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

I had tried the ObjectDock that jjj recommended, but there was a conflict with Sandboxie and it caused my Opera Browser to freeze up for the very first time and then 3 times in a row and besides that ObjectDock consumed over 60 MB of RAM.

So I took the Woz at his word and installed RocketDock which as it turned out only requires 11.2 MB of RAM to run even when loaded with high quality 32 bit .png icons in full 4 channel RGBA where the A channel denotes transluscence.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/PNGLogo1.png

I had a great time selecting the icons that I wanted to use from among the vast collection of 2,500+ pages of submissions that had been created by various artists for RocketDock! You can also load any .jpeg or .png picture into the RocketDock Icon File or even design your own icon and use it to represent any program you like. I had hours of free fun using RocketDock's highly customizable settings to get it to work exactly how I wanted it to although I still have over 1,500 pages of icons that I haven't checked out yet so the array may change in the near future...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/RocketDockArray.jpg

~Maxx~

PS- I've now added some new replacement icons in gold to the array courtesy of Han Derre...

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/RocketDockArrayv2.jpg

I had tried the ObjectDock that jjj recommended

ya are right ..did not like ,sand box..now that i am using it .if i uninstall sand box

need to reinstall object box.its ok...but the 2 do not get along!

runs fine on my other systems..no big deal i use a other one.shame as its nice..

see what els there are..now when i state will not run .this pc i am talking .

my tester ..i use near 90% of the time...

its a good old work horse..seem ta handle almost any thing a trow at it..

full in tell PC. chips, mother board .and so on .i love it ..

itsmejjj

I know it's only RocketDock but I like it

RocketDock is a gem

Very practical and as pretty as you like :smile:

If the user is not interested in making it eye-candy then just drag the icon to the dock and it's done. Put a web page on the dock as well.

If the user wants eye-candy then, as you say, there is a huge amount of icons to choose from or make your own. I like Dan2121 icons and many others.

Also change the font if you want the name :smile:

One thing I should note, you may come across two RocketDock 'extras' that add the SysTray and StarMenu to RocketDock. I'm sorry but I can't remember what they were called.

Please don't get too excited if you find these, a read of various comments will show they are a lot of trouble and I think Vista was still a rumor when these were made, oh well

All the best, woz of oz

RocketDock is a gem

Very practical and as pretty as you like :smile:

If the user is not interested in making it eye-candy then just drag the icon to the dock and it's done. Put a web page on the dock as well.

If the user wants eye-candy then, as you say, there is a huge amount of icons to choose from or make your own. I like Dan2121 icons and many others.

Also change the font if you want the name :smile:

One thing I should note, you may come across two RocketDock 'extras' that add the SysTray and StarMenu to RocketDock. I'm sorry but I can't remember what they were called.

Please don't get too excited if you find these, a read of various comments will show they are a lot of trouble and I think Vista was still a rumor when these were made, oh well

All the best, woz of oz

Iv'e been using RocketDock on my PC for a few weeks now and have found it to be a terrific aid to launching my programs. I have tried several others but this is by far the best.

I had tried the ObjectDock that jjj recommended

ya are right ..did not like ,sand box..now that i am using it .if i uninstall sand box

need to reinstall object box.its ok...but the 2 do not get along!

runs fine on my other systems..no big deal i use a other one.shame as its nice..

see what els there are..now when i state will not run .this pc i am talking .

my tester ..i use near 90% of the time...

its a good old work horse..seem ta handle almost any thing a trow at it..

full in tell PC. chips, mother board .and so on .i love it ..

itsmejjj

i take this back

here take a look works buitifully

Thanks woz!!

I only meant that the image serves no purpose.

The only useful purpose for these icons is to be placed in the RocketDock Icon Folder and selected to use to represent a link to a function within the RocketDock on the desktop, although if you go back and click on the ASC 3 icon I posted again you will get a different result. 8-)

~Maxx~

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/DesktopPD.jpg

I've made some progress this week on gathering the icons that I want to use to represent the programs that I link to with RocketDock. So far I have 169 'keepers' stored in the RocketDock icon folder out of over 10,000 that I have checked out so far, but in my opinion these selected icons are on a par with or even exceed the quality of work done on the set of icons on the Leopard desktop of my Dad's Mac Pro . I'm finding that the icons for most of the programs I use have not yet been rendered by those artists with the highest level of Photoshop skills, but as long as I know which programs are which that's all that matters, otherwise I look at it as an additional layer of Desktop security.

~Maxx~

PS- As a Metalsmith with experience casting gold alloy to a matched color I did do some slight modifications to the gold icons in the set. As an example I turned this original...http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/Opera-3.png into this http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/OperaGold.png

I felt this looked more realistic or at least closer to the dark yellow gold that I prefer rather than its original rose gold coloring. The effect of this digital process in these icons is amazingly similar to redesigning an actual gold alloy by raising the proportional silver content while maintaining the overall karat value.

It was back in October after I uninstalled my Antivirus because it was interfering with the fine job that my Browser was doing running Sandboxed in a Virtual environment my Vista computer was finally able to start and run in the 500 MB RAM range which was 1/2 of the amount of RAM that it took to start and 1/3 of what it took to run it for a day as it was usually using 1.5 GB of RAM at the end of the day back when I first got it.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr44/Maxxwire_Photos/Album%202/514MB.jpg

I am very happy to report that RocketDock uses very few system resources (8.7 MB RAM at this posting) which is considerably less than the 60+ MB of RAM that ObjectDock used when it was installed. Here we can see the system tray of the computer with RocketDock installed using only 514 MB of RAM at the end of a long day along with its new RocketDock fully loaded with originally crafted 32 bit .png format 4 channel RGBA icons from so many talented artists.

~Maxx~

I came across another Dock program called CircleDock and I decided to see what it was all about. Interestingly enough this is a Portable App that needs no installation and after activating the executable in its program file I loaded a few utilities from the Start Menu into CircleDock and I found that although it is quite a flexible program with lots of options it uses 43 M of RAM just to hold the few Icons I put into it which is more than 5 times as much Memory as it takes to run RocketDock.

I've decided just to keep the CircleDock zip file on my Utility Flash Drive in case I run into someone who is willing to pony up the RAM that it takes to run CircleDock.

~Maxx~

Archived