IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer

ZoneAlarm Free 9.1.007.002

usefullll

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jjj- A score of 190/340 on the Leak Tests leaving 15 gaping holes of vulnerability is about par for Windows firewall. Have you been able to test your Zonealarm firewall with the Leak Tests yet? It will surely do much better!

~Maxx~

ok here ya go tested 2 times and the result as you see with our new installed OS

well have ta say it not a bad result?

itsmejjj

ok i was sitting thinking why not try it--

and here are the results..installed

lookNstop

zone alarm

comodo

proxomitron

best of the best ..did it work? yeas thy are alerting me to every thing..

so far so good..

now are we defended ? i think so..

the only thing i left out was there anti virus...i think that is the trick here

this is a testing pc .we just wanted to find out if it was possible to run the 4 apps..

there is no need for the 4 fire walls .but hey why not if it works!

ok do not attempt this unless you are,and know how!and what you are doing..

every thing installed has to be in order of install

as show..you must set each fire wall to allow and dismissal..

this is very touchy ,get it wrong and ya are shot...

it took us 4 times ta get it correct.

2 times a crash.1 blue screen..

but we love ta mix it up..

itsmejjj

I downloaded and ran the Comodo Leak Tests against VIPRE Premium beta. The tests were clicking along when all of a sudden the program window just disappeared. Apparently VIPRE didn't like what it was doing so it shut it down and quarantined it. Guess I'll have to explicitly allow clt.exe and then see what happens.

Comodo Leak Test

Comodo Leak Test just spoilt my day :-(

Since I am running Comodo Internet Security suite I thought I would get good results but they are horrid

Using my standard settings I got 70/340 so thinking I had done something wrong I went to the Comodo forum to look for a solution.

I found a post recommending to change to Proactive Security configuration and run the test again.

I did and I got the same pathetic result.

I have never had a virus or malware and anything other than a few mild cookies as confirmed by Comodo, A-Squared and SuperAntiSpyware.

I was very happy until I ran this depressing software.

I have deleted CLT and will never touch it again.

Sorry if I sound upset, but I am, time for a lie down

All the best, woz of oz

Hi JustDave,

Interesting! I thought I would give it a go on pctools personal firewall to compare it to ZoneAlarm ,but Microsoft Security Essentials blocks the download.

samr.

JustDave- garybear also confirmed that MSE gave a false positive on the Leak Tests. I have the Leak Tests which contain simulated firewall exploits stored on an external drive and the A-Squared Free scanner also flagged them as Malware, but I know that they are only simulations specially created to be used to test the firewall.

I know where you sre coming from as I had a tough time realizing that even though they look like real threats they are only Leak Tests. You will need to know that the Leak Test are harmless in that they just execute the exploits and don't follow through and harm your computer like the real malicious exploits that they represent would. If you want to run the 34 Leak Tests you need to override MSE and give these very realistic simulations permission to run on your computer knowing that they will do no harm to your computer.

~Maxx~

wozofoz- If you go to the CLT Threads on the Comodo Forum you will find a lot of CIS users who started out with the same kind of dismal score that you just got. The Leak Tests were created to be used as a tool to tune up computer security systems by exposing holes in security. With Comodo low a CLT score usually has to do with the Configuration Profile and Proactive Defense settings. Do you have your Configuration Profile set to Proactive and how do your Proactive Defense settings compare to the optimal settings in the attached images?

~Maxx~

Here is how the first 30 Leak Tests are defined:

1. RootkitInstallation: MissingDriverLoad

What does it do ? Tries to find a driver entry in the registry that does not have the corresponding file on the disk and puts itself as the missing file.

What is the risk ? A malicious device driver loaded can be as dangerous as it can be due to the fact that it acts as a part of the operating system with the maximum privileges.

2. RootkitInstallation: LoadAndCallImage

What does it do ? Tries to use a device driver loading API, that is commonly, almost always, used by rootkit developers.

What is the risk ? A malicious device driver loaded can be as dangerous as it can be due to the fact that it acts as a part of the operating system with the maximum privileges.

3. RootkitInstallation: DriverSupersede

What does it do ? Tries to overwrite an already existing driver on the disk and load itself as a device driver.

4. RootkitInstallation: ChangeDrvPath

What does it do ? Tries to change the path of an already existing driver by using service control manager.

What is the risk ? A malicious device driver loaded can be as dangerous as it can be due to the fact that it acts as a part of the operating system with the maximum privileges

5. Invasion: Runner

What does it do ? Tries to modify the default browser on the disk and connect to the internet.

What is the risk ? This is a common infection method that can evade firewalls that do not check the integrity of the applications.

6. Invasion: RawDisk

What does it do ? Tries to access the disk directly and modify its contents.

What is the risk ? This is a common infection method that could open many holes including boot sector infection and device driver loading.

7. Invasion: PhysicalMemory

What does it do ? Tries to access the physical memory directly and modify its contents.

What is the risk ? Accessing the physical memory directly creates many security holes by bypassing standard protection enforced by the operating system.

8. Invasion: FileDrop

What does it do ? Tries to drop itself to system32 directory.

What is the risk ? If the virus can drop itself into the system32 folder, it can easily infect one of the critical files in it too.

9. Invasion: DebugControl

What does it do ? Tries to access the physical memory directly and modify its contents.

What is the risk ? Accessing the physical memory directly creates many security holes by bypassing standard protection enforced by the operating system.

10. Injection: SetWinEventHook

What does it do ? Tries to inject the malicious DLL using a windows accessibility API, SetWineventHook.

What is the risk ? A DLL/Code injected into another process acts as the part of the process it is loaded and has the same privileges. Malware commonly exploit this method to present itself as a trusted process.

11. Injection: SetWindowsHookEx

What does it do ? Tries to inject the malicious DLL using a common windows API, SetWindowsHookEx.

What is the risk ? A DLL/Code injected into another process acts as the part of the process it is loaded and has the same privileges. Malware commonly exploit this method to present itself as a trusted process.

12. Injection: SetThreadContext

What does it do ? Tries to inject the malicious DLL by using a slightly different method from ProcessInject.

13. Injection: Services

What does it do ? Tries to modify “Services” key in registry in order to have itself launched as a service.

What is the risk ? The malware is going to have itself automatically started with windows. The key can be used to install a rootkit or boot driver that can be used to takeover the operating system.

14. Injection: ProcessInject

What does it do ? Tries to inject the malicious DLL using one of the most common methods malware writers use.

15. Injection: KnownDlls

What does it do ? Being one of the most difficult to detect infection technique, it tries to modify an operating system object in memory to make itself loaded into the trusted processes.

16. Injection: DupHandles

What does it do ? Tries to access the memory of another process by stealing the handles from a trusted process which already has it.

17. Injection: CreateRemoteThread

What does it do ? Tries to inject the malicious DLL by using a slightly different method from ProcessInject.

18. Injection: APC dll injection

What is the risk ? A DLL/Code injected into another process acts as the part of the process it is loaded and has the same privileges. Malware commonly exploit this method to present itself as a trusted process

19. Injection: AdvancedProcessTermination

What does it do ? Tries to terminate a process by using debugging APIs.

What is the risk ? A process can be terminated in an unexpected manner.

20. InfoSend: ICMP Test

What does it do ? Tries send the information to the Internet by ICMP protocol.

What is the risk ? If a firewall does not filter ICMP protocol, it can miss the Trojans that transmit data using ICMP protocol.

21. InfoSend: DNS Test

What does it do ? Tries send the information to the Internet by using Windows DNS APIs.

What is the risk ? Windows DNS APIs use trusted processes to make DNS queries causing firewalls to miss the actual process behind these requests.

22. Impersonation: OLE automation

What does it do ? Tries to start MS Internet Explorer then attempts to control this instance using OLE automation to transfer information to the Internet server.

What is the risk ? Firewalls can be bypassed and malicious files can be downloaded

23. Impersonation: ExplorerAsParent

What does it do ? Tries use explorer.exe to connect to the Internet.

What is the risk ? Firewalls may miss the real applications behind the internet connection requests.

24. Impersonation: DDE

What does it do ? Tries to use Direct Data Exchange (DDE) to control IE's behavior and transfer data to the Internet server

What is the risk ? Firewalls can be bypassed and malicious files can be downloaded from the trusted browser process.

25. Impersonation: Coat

What does it do ? Tries use rename itself as the default browser in memory and connect to the Internet.

What is the risk ? Firewalls may think the actual process behind the Internet connection request is the trusted browser.

26. Impersonation: BITS

What does it do ? Tries use Windows Background Intelligent Transfer(BITS) service to connect to the Internet.

What is the risk ? Firewalls can be bypassed and malicious files can be downloaded by using the trusted windows services.

27. Hijacking: WinlogonNotify

What does it do ? Tries to modify “WinlogonNotify” key in registry in order to have itself launched with the logon process.

What is the risk ? The malware is going to have itself automatically started every time Windows starts. The fact that this key is not a common startup key that an average diagnostics utility would look for increases the chance of malware survival. This key is also used to inject a DLL into the trusted operating system processes.

28. Hijacking: Userinit

What does it do ? Tries to modify “Userinit” key in registry in order to take the place of userinit.exe, the process responsible for initialization of the user data after the logon.

What is the risk ? The malware is going to have itself automatically started every time Windows starts. The fact that this key is not a common startup key that an average diagnostics utility would look for, increases the chance of malware survival.

29. Hijacking: UIHost

What does it do ? Tries to modify “UIHost” key in registry in order to take the place of logonui.exe, the process executed before the logon.

What is the risk ? The malware is going to have itself automatically started every time Windows starts. The fact that this key is not a common startup key that an average diagnostics utility would look for, increases the chance of malware survival.

30. Hijacking: SupersedeServiceDll

What does it do ? Tries to modify “ServiceDll” key in registry in order to have itself launched with the trusted operating system process svchost.exe.

What is the risk ? The malware is going to have itself automatically started every time Windows starts. The fact that this key is not a common startup key that an average diagnostics utility would look for increases the chance of malware survival. This key is also used to inject a DLL into the trusted operating system processes.

Leak Tests 31 - 34 defined in the following post due to 10k character limitation...

31. Hijacking: StartupPrograms

What does it do ? Tries to modify “StartupPrograms” key in registry in order to have itself launched when the windows starts.

What is the risk ? The malware is going to have itself automatically started every time Windows starts. The fact that this key is not a common startup key that an average diagnostics utility would look for increases the chance of malware survival.

32. Hijacking: ChangeDebuggerPath

What does it do ? Tries to modify “Debugger” key in registry in order to have itself launched when a program crashes.

What is the risk ? The malware is going to have itself automatically started every time a program crashes. The fact that this key is not a common startup key that an average diagnostics utility would look for increases the chance of malware survival. This key is also used to inject a DLL into the trusted processes.

33. Hijacking: AppinitDlls

What does it do ? Tries to modify “AppInitDlls” key in registry in order to have itself injected into every process.

What is the risk ? The malware is going to have itself automatically started every time a program starts. The fact that this key is not a common startup key that an average diagnostics utility would look for increases the chance of malware survival. This key is also used to inject a DLL into the trusted processes

34. Hijacking: ActiveDesktop

What does it do ? Tries to change the windows active desktop wallpaper.

What is the risk ? An embedded HTML file can allow transmitting the data by using the trusted process explorer.exe and can be used to steal confidential information.

Comodo Leak Test just spoilt my day :-(

Since I am running Comodo Internet Security suite I thought I would get good results but they are horrid

Using my standard settings I got 70/340 so thinking I had done something wrong I went to the Comodo forum to look for a solution.

I found a post recommending to change to Proactive Security configuration and run the test again.

I did and I got the same pathetic result.

I have never had a virus or malware and anything other than a few mild cookies as confirmed by Comodo, A-Squared and SuperAntiSpyware.

I was very happy until I ran this depressing software.

I have deleted CLT and will never touch it again.

Sorry if I sound upset, but I am, time for a lie down

All the best, woz of oz

ok let me say something here --this tester is in the main crap--it was designed ta compare.and it will do just that ..compare..in faver of comodo..??

look at my caps in the different tests..

some are very ordinary.then we get a top result.5 times it failed,i keep saying thy are just made testers ta scare the pants of fire wall lookers..

i even run lowly win defender and it went silly!! saying warning........

look at the very first one made..pcflank where this all started.

if you have a defender saying sorry its a virus! then one would accept this,

if a defender ,blocks the download ,one should be gratefuller it did.

i ran it ta amuse the supporters of this tester..that all

now is it safe? yes...why? its bull dust..ok

now my score went to 100% when i installed it(comodo) sure it did..

now running zone alarm i get 99% score..

then i ran it without fire walls .and score 190/300 sure its right.

than ran it with my filters it went dead,,,

so again .whats my verdict?

IT is A nice fun thing ta play with ..

what is the idea behind it .to see if your fire wall picks up the pretended hits..

of the test..and it should in 80% of the testing....

now if thins test fails to finish.as your defending ,program spots its mischive..

behavior you are fine!

if your fire wall score less than 60% then ya may want ta update it.

remember ta run it correctly .every time your fire wall,or a defending programs asks

do you allow,you say NO..that it..if you say yes .the tester wins!

very simple.. the con is thy say you must allow it ! right..whats is the point if a defender asks you .and you say yes!!

itsmejjj

Comodo Internet Security well i say this again ,i do not like it

that's it never have... ..but not ta say one should not use it..

i got rid of it after i saw the con..and what is that?

it got the perfect score .100%-5 times with comodo&zone alarm combination? -right ,''''''''''''bull dust....and nether fire wall said a bo and let it run!!!

my defender went crazy! my filters went bananas,tree times my system went stupit..blue freezing..now ok ya got it installed ok .lets see ya get it of tha system? its links every time.so how did i kill it .yes a restore ta get it of..

well i stay with the plane defense thank you .and forget this fire wall..and its gimmicky tester well after 34 runs and different results ,every test. its in the bin!

and no comments made as ohhh jjj that a terrific result.or not bad,hey how did you get ta run 4 fire walls?

never mind .i am done with this thing!!

what the heck was i supposed ta prove ? to be convincing readers use comodo?

sorry .you decide on it...http://www.filehippo.com/download_zonealarm_free/

or pc tools there are plenty out there you pic what you the reader thinks is best .and then decide ta keep it...

MY dear friend WOSAFOZ i to am one angry old puppy..and upset..why

i allowed my self ta fall into a hole ,that took mr 2 days ta get out of.the more i tested this thing the more it upset me..it a very clever piece of gimmickry...and a very nice way ta scare the pants of people!

yes thy programmers are getting cleaver!

take hart from this .do not let it get ya down..

get it of ya system try a other type..or sit calmly and work it out..

sorry i cannot be sitting next to ya .i would help ya gladly..

itsmejjj

wozofoz- Unlike jjj who contrary to some of the most reputable computer security experts in the world hates Comodo with a passion I have had a great deal of experience working with Comodo and tuning up its settings using the Leak Tests just as many others have on the Comodo forum. If you use the right settings you can bring Comodo around to a 340/340 score and know that you are protected according to the 34 definitions I listed earlier in the thread. I just ran the Leak Tests again on my new Comodo configuration which is now without the Antivirus to confirm that all 34 exploits that were simulated in the test are protected against. One firewall is plenty when it is the Matousec Proactive Security Challenge #1 rated firewall.

~Maxx~

Comodo Internet Security well i say this again ,i do not like it

that's it never have... ..but not ta say one should not use it..

i got rid of it after i saw the con..and what is that?

it got the perfect score .

Many people who know little of Comodo say exactly the same thing because they do not know about the many Comodo users like wozofooz who score very poorly on the Leak Tests due to the fact that they have not done the proper set up in the right security Configuration.

jjj I would really enjoy watching as you defended your position that Comodo is Bull Dust with internationally respected computer security expert Dave Matousec who tops his http://www.matousec.com webpage with this declaration...

Comodo scored perfectly! (2009/10/10 14:50)

Per its vendor's request, we have tested the latest version of Comodo Internet Security in Proactive Security Challenge. As the first product, Comodo Internet Security reached the perfect score against all 84 tests in the testing suite. Congratulations!

~Maxx~

who needs to use 4 firewalls

not correct my friend

its a testing ,set up playing around.see how thy compare running as one..this is my play pc .

i showed you running zone alarm by it self .and then windows.then 2 combo,than 3 ,than 4 ..and now back ta my normal deference..

you asked i provided..

as you went on the hunt for the test app.and asked me to try it

i did this favor.. look at the picks provided..as for i hate it .that has nothing ta do with the tester..what i think.

and lets face it who cares what this old idiot thinks.any how...not stopping people using it ..after all itsmejj who know nothing about deference.

and setting up different ways to try out apps..

any how lets leave it there .

like i say i am done with it..

for what my time spent was worth..its silly ta let this blow into a debate..

and as normal you win --comodo rules tha internet!

itsmejjj

jjj- Other than several hours of my life that I wasted trying to find a suitable download of the Leak Teats for you that I will never get back it is sad to find out that these kinds of wholly unscientific shenanigans that you rendered as an opinion which are diametrically opposed to all professional opinions on the subject represent your acumen as our self appointed "Unofficial Forum Tester" thus providing a source of shame for us all.

In that you champion a firewall rated by Dave Matousec at 18th place because it only completed level 2 of his comprehensive 84 part test test and revile the firewall that tested best of all for Dave Matousec in his Proactive Security Challenge with 10+ levels passed which you call "Bull Dust" showing us all that your 'testing acumen' accounts for no more than your own personal opinion which is in actuality not a test result at all.

~Maxx~

jjj- Other than several hours of my life that I wasted trying to find a suitable download of the Leak Teats for you that I will never get back it is sad to find out that these kinds of wholly unscientific shenanigans that you rendered as an opinion which are diametrically opposed to all professional opinions on the subject represent your acumen as our self appointed "Unofficial Forum Tester" thus providing a source of shame for us all.

~Maxx~

"Unofficial Forum Tester" thus providing a source of shame for us all.

sorry ya feel this way...and if Kai,is a.and , "am shameful,human" being as you state. well then i will not be asked ta try apps out for members..its a pity

when i get called a ass hole in my understanding as being a shameful human

i was thinking we were pass name calling..

never mind we just steppe one 2 3 backwards....in what i hoped was understanding ,and ok ta post .a opinion with out this sort of answer.

now i should; retaliate? no sir .i let it pass .

jjj

jjj- All I am saying is when you set yourself up as the 'Unofficial Forum Tester' then how you proceed with your testing reflects upon us all. In the world of computer security names like the brilliant Dave Matousec stand out as trusted for their long history of reliable and accurate work which is completely detached from their own personal opinion because they are true professionals.

Now long comes jjj and trashes the firewall that Dave Matousec rates as #1 having passed 10+ levels and calls it 'Bull Dust' in favor of some 2nd level 18th rated firewall simply because its his long time favorite. You are entitled to any opinion you like, but as our new self appointed 'Unofficial Forum Tester' I would hope that you learn to keep your emotions to yourself and apply some valid and widely accepted scientific procedures to your testing instead of a wild outburst of pure emotion when you evaluate programs like the very well designed and expertly thought out 34 level Leak Tests that you railed against without any scientifically derived evidence whatsoever.

~Maxx~

then how you proceed with your testing reflects upon us all

ya mean you ! take it personally.. nothing ta do with any one else ok..

what stopping you from doing tha same? we have many that report on apps.

i just did this ,perhaps the wrong heading..as we monkey about with any thing..

and i be leave no harm done .and members could ask me iffa i already tried it or try one thy may want ta use,so where is the harm?

just because i dislike you comodo ,stiff .and as it turns out you love it .

and been trying to convince me ta use it! i have,ok and posted it crap as far as i am concerned.now i am the only robin in the world that dislikes it?

sure i am .every one uses it uh..and no other fire wall? ok open your eyes ,

take a look around the net .that why there are so many ta choose from..

but hy thy only use your fire wall.the rest must be scraped?

any ways

not a worry take it as ya like..ya get the last say.as we stated before you are you i am me, but no need for name calling.is all i ask the rest is with salt ..ok

and ya gonna push me into saying something silly? or drop it .now we are 6 -7 steps backwards!!!and not a happy chappy at tha moment!

this is not the same thread . look at my other one it calm and i think fair ok

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TA CALL ME A SHAMEFUL HUMAN OK!

i looked up tha meaning,disgraceful,dishonourble..and mor the same.

no need for this talk ..

so you and i go at it again and we get ticked of again .

no thanks let it go just drop it ...

jjj- Here is where the language barrier rears its ugly head. Making up words and alleging that I used them to describe you will not fool anyone because every mouse has a scroll wheel and anyone can check the true discourse. I never called you a shameful human all I meant was that if you are going to call yourself the 'Unofficial Forum Tester' then you represent just that the Forum and by definition all of us who participate in the Forum. If you called yourself simply the 'Unofficial Tester' then that would be very different then you are only responsible to yourself to do a professional job of testing as the other testers like Dave Matousec who has gained a sterling reputation worldwide for his concise and accurate technical analysis.

Even at that reputable testers offer results based on scientific procedure for example if as a tester you want to credibly refute the 34 part Leak Tests then you would need to start with Test 1 and refute it on technical terms showing exactly why the code used for this test is bogus and then proceed to do the same for the other 33 Leak Tests just like all true professional testers do and not fly off into a tizzy calling things 'Bull Dust' without any credible evidence to back you up.

~Maxx~

Making up words ok iffa ya say so ..i really care less what ya say ,i read it as it look ta me .shameful

sterling reputation worldwide your kidding right ..ya think i want this?

i care less about this or want it. i am a hobby man.take it as i like.read it as any one wants.and hope it can help a tiny bit .i do not have ta prove any thing to you.or any one.its my self testing..be it wrong or right..

'Unofficial Forum Tester' this bother you? perhaps i should change the heading to let me test for you? but we can go on iffa ya want?

Tests then you would need to start with Test 1 and refute it on technical terms

your kidding me ..

i tested this thing 34 times or more with different settings now ya want a bible on every test written by me ,ya right..that be something uh..yeh i can see me do that .

me finger be down to a stubby by the time i got ta page 3 ..sure thing

THE PROGRAMMER WRITE IT,WE TRY TA USE IT .if it fails we bitch,if it works we sing yes its good.

if it kills a system ,we scream Hy fix it. i no tech or programmer.

but am allowed to say to the next guy use it at a risk.or its relay fine,

without the tech whatever..if i was that smart ,i be making them .instead of arguing with you...

and the fancy English words,i cant compete with ya here nor want ta,and then explane it as ya to clever for me it that..but as always ya got a come back..so ok i see what it is,,

gee take it easy ,GET SOME SLEEP .. drop it

jjj- All I'm saying is that you will be taken as seriously as the level of your testing is professional and using synonyms as substitutes for profanity to evaluate software like your verdict on the highly respected and widely used Leak Tests is far from professional. You might read some professional testing reviews and see how the pros do it without using any ugly profanity at all.

~Maxx~

All I'm saying professional ,ya got this wrong ,dead wrong

i am not ,no better than any one here if anything thing less ....even bordering on insane -...carazy, so who cares...ugly profanity ? uhhh ya got it wrong again ,its my way of stating,not meant ta be any thing els...

--you will be taken as seriously as the level of your testing is professional and using synonyms as substitutes ,and ya think i care?

na ya ca take it as ya want.thing is a do get asked..so cant ba ta bad can it..

All I'm saying ------ya, ya,ya you do.. ok all im am saying is let it go .ok

dan worry about me ta much ok .well any thing els?

ok all im am saying is let it go .ok

dan worry about me ta much ok .well any thing els?

Here's to hoping that you take your own advise. It would help the recently tarnished image of IObit immensely if you would quit soiling the site with profanity and thinly veiled pseudo-profanity as the world is watching us now as we recover.

~Maxx~

thinly veiled pseudo uhh ?

profanity ok if ya say so ..i cant for ta life of me see where but as ya say it is whatever ..i agree with yas ...and

very professional. of you ..many thanks for tha advice..its been fun!

just think ya wasted 2 hours of ya life with me haaaaa and i enjoyed it...sort of fun feeling mixed emotions and then try ta put it in print....ya are something els

and i kinda love ta post ta ya...i just had a nice cuppa tea.and some buckets,,

and the folks here are all having a good time looking at the to and fro...

ok .finished ? we done ?haaaaaa

Archived