IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Phantom exe in startup

randomfreaky

Hi! Just ran AWC for the first time, looks great!

Startup Manager did find something which I find very puzzling though maybe you can help me.

Proc112

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\EPOUEW.EXE

looks pretty nefarious to me, I've googled it to death and found nothing.

The strange thing is, it doesn't show up in my processes in the Task Manager and when I did a search in the SYSTEM32 directory I found nothing.

Could this be an extremely stealthy custom made trojan? I should probably just kill it but I REALLY like to find out what it is. I recently let a friend use my pc and he is a very talented programmer who I know has created very good keyloggers , I *can't possibly* imagine him doing such a thing to me but have just a WEE bit of paranoia.

Any advice?

Thanks

Hi randomfreaky,

I can't find anything on it either. You could try doing a scan at File Research Center to see what all is running.

http://www.fileresearchcenter.com/

At top right hand in red it says HELP and asks if you would like to scan now.

If you click it will ask to install an active x-it is safe. After scan it will show everything running with a description.

You might also run Trend Micro online virus scan- very good at finding things but will take a long time to run.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Hope this helps.

samr.

Hi! Just ran AWC for the first time, looks great!

Startup Manager did find something which I find very puzzling though maybe you can help me.

Proc112

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\EPOUEW.EXE

looks pretty nefarious to me, I've googled it to death and found nothing.

The strange thing is, it doesn't show up in my processes in the Task Manager and when I did a search in the SYSTEM32 directory I found nothing.

Could this be an extremely stealthy custom made trojan? I should probably just kill it but I REALLY like to find out what it is. I recently let a friend use my pc and he is a very talented programmer who I know has created very good keyloggers , I *can't possibly* imagine him doing such a thing to me but have just a WEE bit of paranoia.

Any advice?

Thanks

safest bet is download comodo's boclean and superantispyware. if its something suspicious one of them will usually detect it

Archived