IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AWC killed my Windows XP!!

jmar595

I bought the program a last Sunday after reading many great reviews about it, couldn;t find any negative info. So, I bought the full version and ran it the first time. After that was done I restarted. when it came up I had no start bar and no icons on my desktop and can't right click on the desk top. I hit conrt/alt/del, and that is the only way I can navigate anywhere. I have to go the long way and know exactly where the program I want to run is located on my comp. I don't like having to do this, especially after paying $30. I tried to contact Iobit about this, I sent an email as this is the ONLY contact info. I have found. NO RESPONSE YET. It's been over a week. Does anyone know contact info., phone number or something? I am very aggrevatied with this program and just want a normal pc. I have went to major geeks and tried to remedy this, but no luck. PLEASE HELP:-( I have also tried the restore on AWC but nothing happens. Same thing with windows restore.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well 1st off like i told many people, stop using the defense and stop allowing it to start up or stay in the system try. the only other problem is it could conflict with another application this is why i suggested the removal of the protection and start up. i had the same problems as you until i did those steps

How do you do this? Will that give me my start and desktop icons back? I can go through task manager and bring up windows explorer and it will bring up the start bar and icons, but then it freaks out and flashes the start bar and icons on and off every 15 sec. or so, and when you are running aprogram every time it does this it messes up the program.

How do you do this? Will that give me my start and desktop icons back? I can go through task manager and bring up windows explorer and it will bring up the start bar and icons, but then it freaks out and flashes the start bar and icons on and off every 15 sec. or so, and when you are running aprogram every time it does this it messes up the program.

1st if you used the restore point like it suggested at 1st that should fix what damage it did. next go into options then settings and finally general. uncheck the 1st 2 options and then hit apply followed by ok.

for the other part after hitting start uncheck the 2nd option for the defense the run like normal. see if those steps help you out.

Ok, I got AWC to restore back to before the changes were made, now I have different problems. I can't open AWC. I was going to uncheck the top 2 options like you suggested, but can't get there. My windows exploere is not displaying all the website info. The screen I am typing on now has only text, no graphics. How can I get my comp. to let me open AWC? I have a desktop and start bar now, but my comp. is VERY SLOW. When I try to open AWC it gives me a error report, says it encountered a problem and had to close it, before it ever opens.

If you have another language clicked on, then try to go into the AWC folder and the language folder there, and click English on as the start language and report what happens.

Otherwise uninstall and make a completely new install.

That is to say uninstall AWC and then clean up AWC folder (delete) and let Ccleaner clean the registry - and then install again

Good luck

After reading the whole string I think you should uninstall AWC - clean up your computer with Ccleaner, let Windows choose the best settings for your computer, and install AWC again, - register, and when you run it the first time, go into ALL details and configure it as you think best. Then run it.

There should be no problem after that.

Greetings

Ccleaner can be found here: http://www.ccleaner.com/

it's not the only one around, but it is nice and can be downloaded for free

Here is how you can do it:

Install:

An install from a downloaded file always starts with a download.

The best way today (if not always) - given the security measures that came in with SP2 - is to download the file to a folder in (on) your computer.

Scan the folder for virus with your antivirus application.

Right click on the install file and choose (Preferences)

Remove the blocking from the file.

Then click on the .exe file and Install it.

After the install - check the configurations and settings in the programs and in the add-ins and choose those you need or want.

Then run it – AND check ALL Details under each post! Set it as you think you need or want.

Remember that you can use the Ignore list to keep items you do not want to clean out!

If you do it like that, there should be minimal chance of something going wrong.

Uninstall:

If you encounter problems you can't solve, it is often a good idea to uninstall the program and install it again.

The way to do that with the least chance of something going wrong is to – uninstall – and then remove the AWC folder (or the Iobit folder if you do not have Smart Defrag in it too - the same goes for The Beta Registry Cleaner of IObit which may also be used as it is a stand alone application, and therefore shouldn't be deleted if it is in the IObit folder.)

On second thought delete only the AWC folder!

– after that I recommend that you clean up your registry with another application (for example CCleaner) - then install the newest AWC download version from step one.

Reinstall:

If you do not have any problems with your AWC it should be sufficient to download a newer version and install it without removing the previous one.

That way all your setting will continue as before.

If you have problems follow the Uninstall procedure

• 3 months later...

Hi

I decided to join the Forum here as I found it ridiculous that there is no phone contact in regards to AWC?

How are you suppose to email or msg someone about AWC when you system is Killed by AWC??????

Live Support will only work if you can run IExplore from Task Manager also.

Before you decide to either ban me or remove this post please read it first as it has a solution.

Here's what happened to me......

I updated to WinXP SP3 RC1

Things were working great and then I ran AWC which said there is an update.

I updated

I got it to fix the problems

I rebooted and then No Icons , No Desktop :shock: well Blank wallpaper.

I done Ctrl_At_Del and ran New Task and put in Explorer which brought the desktop back for less than 5 seconds.

First thoughts, AWC didn't like SP3 so I tried restoring :shock:

It wouldn't allow me to even run the restore because of the desktop kept restarting.

I ran multiple Explorer.exe's but didn't help much.

I manually tried to look at my restore info from System Volume Information but some of the files were to small in size so I didn’t think it will work as something like the Software. file should be at least 20mb, but was less than 8mb with my large amount of software installed.

I ran a 2nd of WinXP on another partition (as I couldn't get my Boot Util disk to work) and copied the files needed but then my system was worse and it was missing too many registry entries.

The only option I had was rebuild my whole system on the 2nd copy.

I made sure I only installed Nortons after all my normal Apps like Office, and system was working perfectly.

I made sure of a few restore points and they were fine.

I then installed AWC again and it found too many errors but I trusted it again.

:shock:

Next re-boot my system was Killed again :shock:

I tried contacting AWC partner or a number in the US to get help, but told sorry we can not give you nothing.

Again the only thing you could do was run Task Manager and run the Explorer.exe. or IExplore to try searching on the NET.

Nothing helped so I decided to run my BootUp Util disk as System Restore command worked but wouldn’t allow me to Restore to a previous point.

Once my Util disc booted up, and I choose a restore point before the AWC restore point.

It worked via this method, as nothing was rebooting my Desktop.

Onething I looked at closely with all this going on, is that AWC must have corrupted what ever allows explorer.exe to work, as I ran around 5 Explorer.exe and one by one they were being closed, until the Desktop went in a loop.

Due to me doing a clean install and only having Nortons installed and no other Spyware or Adware software, the fault is with AWC and nothing todo with our systems.

Also you can run AWC from the New Task , but won't do any good as it says, it has done the restore but made no difference.

BTW - My Boot Disks are BartPE and ERD.

AWC was a brilliant bit of software until the later versions.

Thanks

Hi

I decided to join the Forum here as I found it ridiculous that there is no phone contact in regards to AWC?

How are you suppose to email or msg someone about AWC when you system is Killed by AWC??????

Live Support will only work if you can run IExplore from Task Manager also.

Before you decide to either ban me or remove this post please read it first as it has a solution.

Here's what happened to me......

I updated to WinXP SP3 RC1

Things were working great and then I ran AWC which said there is an update.

I updated

I got it to fix the problems

I rebooted and then No Icons , No Desktop :shock: well Blank wallpaper.

I done Ctrl_At_Del and ran New Task and put in Explorer which brought the desktop back for less than 5 seconds.

First thoughts, AWC didn't like SP3 so I tried restoring :shock:

It wouldn't allow me to even run the restore because of the desktop kept restarting.

I ran multiple Explorer.exe's but didn't help much.

I manually tried to look at my restore info from System Volume Information but some of the files were to small in size so I didn’t think it will work as something like the Software. file should be at least 20mb, but was less than 8mb with my large amount of software installed.

I ran a 2nd of WinXP on another partition (as I couldn't get my Boot Util disk to work) and copied the files needed but then my system was worse and it was missing too many registry entries.

The only option I had was rebuild my whole system on the 2nd copy.

I made sure I only installed Nortons after all my normal Apps like Office, and system was working perfectly.

I made sure of a few restore points and they were fine.

I then installed AWC again and it found too many errors but I trusted it again.

:shock:

Next re-boot my system was Killed again :shock:

I tried contacting AWC partner or a number in the US to get help, but told sorry we can not give you nothing.

Again the only thing you could do was run Task Manager and run the Explorer.exe. or IExplore to try searching on the NET.

Nothing helped so I decided to run my BootUp Util disk as System Restore command worked but wouldn’t allow me to Restore to a previous point.

Once my Util disc booted up, and I choose a restore point before the AWC restore point.

It worked via this method, as nothing was rebooting my Desktop.

Onething I looked at closely with all this going on, is that AWC must have corrupted what ever allows explorer.exe to work, as I ran around 5 Explorer.exe and one by one they were being closed, until the Desktop went in a loop.

Due to me doing a clean install and only having Nortons installed and no other Spyware or Adware software, the fault is with AWC and nothing todo with our systems.

Also you can run AWC from the New Task , but won't do any good as it says, it has done the restore but made no difference.

BTW - My Boot Disks are BartPE and ERD.

AWC was a brilliant bit of software until the later versions.

Thanks

How about a Hijackthis? Just to see what's going on on your computer.

you might have a virus in the MFT or boot sector. try some online scanners for infection or try gmer a small download.

i have norton and xp sp3 beta all ok.

What on two harddrives?

I done a clean install of WinXP on a 2nd harddrive?

Thanks

Can't see anything which shouldn't be there.

Thanks

Can you identify any kin of infection. Or any kind of problem...? I can...because I am from a security sub-forum.

If you take an offer of help like that, I hope that somebody else is going to help you if need be because T won't....

Can you identify any kin of infection. Or any kind of problem...? I can...because I am from a security sub-forum.

If you take an offer of help like that, I hope that somebody else is going to help you if need be because T won't....

I don't understand your question?

How would I have an infection when I ended up installing a 2nd copy of WinXp on a newly formated partition on a seperate hard disc?

Also while I last posted here, I have setup another multi-boot copy of WinXP on another Partition and ran ZoneLabs IS to check the other drive, including running Stinger AV with Boot Sector check.

I could not find any problems, but the orig WinXP install Killed as I stated.

My 2nd copy which is now my main copy to use it working because of the Boot Util I used to take me back to the point where AWC made a restore/recovery point.

Until I am happy that this issue is resolved by IOBIT I will not try another scan and repair with it.

I done alot of reading also and found something about, No Desktop and Icons which refered to motherboards with inbuilt VGA ports and a 2nd Graphics card in the PC.

Maybe the issue is that AWC is correcting something with the not used Inbuilt VGA.

Maybe nothing as the article said to disable the inbuilt VGA port, which I already have in my BIOS, so I don't think it is that.

I am gonna stick to Nortons WinDoctor (Find and Fix in SystemWorks) which I use to use as it never gave me one problem.

One otherthing I ran was gmer, but I don't get anything highlighted in Red, so does this mean I don't have any problems also?

Thanks

AWC does have the habit of finding things in the registry that should remain there untouched if you want certain software to work properly. Most have something to do with HKCR\CLSID\blah blah\inprocserver32 from what I have found and you have to put those into your ignore list.

But.. the way these Registry Scanners relay the information to the end user you'll need to be an engineer to be able to decide if these findings need to be ignored. Too many people just push the fix button without knowing what it is they are fixing. The biggest problem I have had with AWC from the beginning and the reason I haven't renewed my subscription is because of these things.

At the beginning, they had a great program.. now like everyone else...they just want to keep adding and adding to it with unnecessary things. I was going to wait until AWC 3 came out to make my final decision, but things like this just seem to crop up from their newest releases. Spend the time and resources making a good working software more user friendly instead of insisting on a Defrag and all in one software.

Also I have noticed that when anything does go wrong, software developers all try to blame it on a virus or some other problem instead of maybe perhaps its something with their software or they just could have read and understood how you had just done a fresh install with only norton (which could have contributed to some of the problem) and awc loaded.

Trusted and enough information should be posted

Hello,

I am so sorry for any possible problem. Since AWC has been downloaded over 10,000,000 times and are using by about 1 million Internet users. We get lots of feedback everyday. The serious trouble you mentioned in the post is very rare.

Kindly write back to us and provide us with the following information so that we can further investigate this concern:

- When and where did you send your non-responsive feedback?

- We need pictures of the trouble you got. Pictures of your trouble will be much helpful. If possible, please send some pictures to us for clearly investigation.

- Open program directory (Usually path: "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced WindowsCare V2\" or "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced WindowsCare V2 Pro"), and find a file named "ErrorLog.txt". Please send this file to us.

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hello,

I am so sorry for any possible problem. Since AWC has been downloaded over 10,000,000 times and are using by about 1 million Internet users. We get lots of feedback everyday. The serious trouble you mentioned in the post is very rare.

Kindly write back to us and provide us with the following information so that we can further investigate this concern:

- When and where did you send your non-responsive feedback?

- We need pictures of the trouble you got. Pictures of your trouble will be much helpful. If possible, please send some pictures to us for clearly investigation.

- Open program directory (Usually path: "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced WindowsCare V2\" or "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced WindowsCare V2 Pro"), and find a file named "ErrorLog.txt". Please send this file to us.

Thank you for your patience and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

No error log files anywhere?

Also, how is someone gonna get you what you need if the PC has been rebuilt?

Worst case would be for me to image my drive and then run AWC again, then see if it does it again.

As far as I can tell, why is the Registry directory empty?

Where does AWC keep it's backup? as I just checked both versions of WinXp I have, one now working , one with only Program Files directory and a few others left, as I needed to pull of data, before I wiped that partition.

Thanks

After reading the whole string I think you should uninstall AWC - clean up your computer with Ccleaner, let Windows choose the best settings for your computer, and install AWC again, - register, and when you run it the first time, go into ALL details and configure it as you think best. Then run it.

There should be no problem after that.

Greetings

Err... I already use CCleaner as an all round cleaner. Why do I want to use AWC 2 ? (I'm sorry for butting in, I'm just looking for a good reason why I should install AWC ?)

Hi occam,

Ccleaner is a great program I use it along w/ AWC. But it only has a fraction of the features of AWC. Click the link below , then click "Why choose it" tab. Check out the chart on PC health , also click the link to function comparisons to other products.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html#

If you try it, I think you will find that the two work very well together.

samr.

Hi occam,

Ccleaner is a great program I use it along w/ AWC. But it only has a fraction of the features of AWC.

<snip>.

Hmm... and a fraction of the problems of CCleaner, judging by this thread. Also, I do not see CCleaner in the comparison chart -- but you are correct, CCleaner does not have most of the features listed there.

Archived