IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Optical Illusion

garybear

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

jpg image.

As it is jpg it is not moving. It is your mind/brain trying to reconcile the images and complete the pattern (spaces and indeces, the small difference in the shape of the marks is the befuddler)... this happens sometimes in life too when you shake your head and wonder momentarily... then it aligns correctly (wall papers can do it... diamond patterns (metal or paper) wood doesn't seem to (hard to cut with such precision, and the relief of shadows in wood-cuts removes part of the illusion).

Binocular vision... trying to reconcile two images (our eyes from the two different placements on the outside of our skull into a 3d image in our mind). Even if you close one eye your brain will try to see it three dimensionally. Patterns such as this are not naturally occurring so this proclivity would not have been excluded by natural selection. These patterns are man made and must usually be viewed in close proximity.

Hi Sunny... are you by chance left handed? I only ask because of the greater incidence of migraines being triggered by images in left handed people. Are you strong in math and logic? And are you good at drawing or sketching of things? And who is your favorite graphic/painting/visual artist?

I am curious as I have a childhood friend who has educated me a great deal about Migraines as he has suffered from them since the age of 21... he is now 46 soon to be 47.

Oops... maybe not the thing to post on a fun thread.

-Mel

-Mel

Hi Mel

It doesn't tremble for me - alas! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

As it is jpg it is not moving. It is your mind/brain trying to reconcile the images and complete the pattern (spaces and indeces, the small difference in the shape of the marks is the befuddler)... this happens sometimes in life too when you shake your head and wonder momentarily... then it aligns correctly (wall papers can do it... diamond patterns (metal or paper) wood doesn't seem to (hard to cut with such precision, and the relief of shadows in wood-cuts removes part of the illusion).

Binocular vision... trying to reconcile two images (our eyes from the two different placements on the outside of our skull into a 3d image in our mind). Even if you close one eye your brain will try to see it three dimensionally. Patterns such as this are not naturally occurring so this proclivity would not have been excluded by natural selection. These patterns are man made and must usually be viewed in close proximity.

Hi Sunny... are you by chance left handed? I only ask because of the greater incidence of migraines being triggered by images in left handed people. Are you strong in math and logic? And are you good at drawing or sketching of things? And who is your favorite graphic/painting/visual artist?

I am curious as I have a childhood friend who has educated me a great deal about Migraines as he has suffered from them since the age of 21... he is now 46 soon to be 47.

Oops... maybe not the thing to post on a fun thread.

-Mel

-Mel

Well then... whats wrong with you???

Perhaps tremble is not the best adjective. Perception of movement within either the external or internal borders of the two images. Do they not shift at all? What do you see?

Argh!! Aww!!

Or perhaps both sides of your brain made friends along time ago!

:grin:

What do you see, please describe... when you look at that image!!

-Mel

Hi Mel

I see a grey plate with rows of "stars" convex and concave that slant in one direction, in the middle of this surrounded by a "frame" I see a square with the "stars" that slant in the opposite direction.

If that is an affliction - I hope to keep it :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Perhaps tremble is not the best adjective. Perception of movement within either the external or internal borders of the two images. Do they not shift at all? What do you see?

Argh!! Aww!!

Or perhaps both sides of your brain made friends along time ago!

:grin:

What do you see, please describe... when you look at that image!!

-Mel

Yes!

That is what I see too. Two frames set along different axes. One X Y axis, the other X Z axis. Three dimensional not intersecting with each other. Knowing that it is a fixed image... we are seeing the three dimensions in our head. Do you still not see the illusory movement?

-Mel

P.S. This should be on Titou's curious thread! ?

Hi Mel

If I just look at the picture I see no movement, if I scroll the window with the picture I get a sensation like seeing the spokes in a wheel in a motion picture where the spokes seem to go backwards on account of the frame rate and our speed of perception which is at least double the framerate (at least in old films).

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. not much illusion or curiousness about it for me :-)

p.p.s. well not quite true - now I saw it if I half closed my eyes and didn't focus too much.

Which would suggest that my powers of concentration keeps it still. :-)

That is what I see too. Two frames set along different axes. One X Y axis, the other X Z axis. Three dimensional not intersecting with each other. Knowing that it is a fixed image... we are seeing the three dimensions in our head. Do you still not see the illusory movement?

-Mel

P.S. This should be on Titou's curious thread! ?

Wish I had such powers of concentration!!!:mrgreen:

I did repost to the Curious thread and link here to see what posts (if any) are to be made!

Maybe we are both afflicted in some different way!! (I think I would prefer the power of concentration affliction though!):grin:

Peace be to you Solbjerg!!

-Mel

The Mons Pubis! The ultimately unobtainable peak! I see by your picture you were almost there!

(not gonna settle for a lamp though... painful!!!! not into that)

Good one!!!

Did you make it?

-Mel:lol:

Nope. It just caught my eye for some reason.

:-)

Archived