IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

slow & incomplete defrags with ALL defraggers

Hello everybody.

This is my first visit here; I hope it's okay to ask a question about defragging in general, not just SD. SD works like a champ on MY computer, it's fast and takes it down to 0% every time. I love it!

My mother-in-law's computer, however, is a totally different story! She's running XP Pro with 512 MB memory. I've used AdAware and SpyBot to make sure she's not clogged up with malware and she's using Avast AV, as I am. She's got about 30% free space on a 30GB partition (her C:); there's basically nothing on the partition except OS, program files, and mail; all her documents and downloads are stored somewhere else. We've tried 4 defraggers on her system, and SD is the worst, but none of them do a good job. Analysis is extremely slow, and defragging is always incomplete, leaving anywhere from 5% to 15% fragmented afterwards. I've run CHKDSK, no problems, and tried in Safe Mode, it doesn't get any better. I've run SD in defrag only, fast optimize, and deep optimize. The result is always the same: slow and incomplete. I've also tried it with AV disabled.

All other functions on the computer work just fine. Apps open up fast enough, everything works at a reasonable speed except defragging.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing her defragging problems?

Thanks a lot

Hi John

Sounds like a failing hard drive based on a similar experience with an old HP.All defraggers would run slow,or just quit in the middle of the task.Strangely enough,no bad sectors were reported via Checkdisk,but the drive failed within a couple months.I,however, did experience performance issues in respect to program launches, unlike your situation.I believe there are some freeware programs available that will perform a more in depth analysis of the drive as opposed to the "surface scan" performed by Checkdisk..Ashampoo software comes to mind,though this is not a plug for their products,I have used a few with adequate satisfaction. On the other hand,it could be something all together different that I'm not aware of,and the drive will last for years!! Sorry for the lack of a definitive answer :oops: Welcome to the forum,by the way :-P

Are there any programs you know will never be used that you could uninstall? Trial versions of software (Microsoft Office, etc.), old antivirus programs you never use, games and other space hogs. That may not help, but if it's stuff she's never gonna use anyway it won't hurt anything to try. :smile:

Hi John

Hard to say - what version? Same settings as your own version?

Many background programs running while defragging?

Any large video or picture files?

Could you please write what settings are used!!

Most complete and fastest defrag with no other application running while defrag is going on.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello everybody.

This is my first visit here; I hope it's okay to ask a question about defragging in general, not just SD. SD works like a champ on MY computer, it's fast and takes it down to 0% every time. I love it!

My mother-in-law's computer, however, is a totally different story! She's running XP Pro with 512 MB memory. I've used AdAware and SpyBot to make sure she's not clogged up with malware and she's using Avast AV, as I am. She's got about 30% free space on a 30GB partition (her C:); there's basically nothing on the partition except OS, program files, and mail; all her documents and downloads are stored somewhere else. We've tried 4 defraggers on her system, and SD is the worst, but none of them do a good job. Analysis is extremely slow, and defragging is always incomplete, leaving anywhere from 5% to 15% fragmented afterwards. I've run CHKDSK, no problems, and tried in Safe Mode, it doesn't get any better. I've run SD in defrag only, fast optimize, and deep optimize. The result is always the same: slow and incomplete. I've also tried it with AV disabled.

All other functions on the computer work just fine. Apps open up fast enough, everything works at a reasonable speed except defragging.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing her defragging problems?

Thanks a lot

Thanks everybody.

By the way, I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but I didn't get an email notification of the responses. Anyone know how to fix that?

Hi John

Hard to say - what version? Same settings as your own version? I'll have to get back to you on the version, I'm not sure whether or not it's the same as mine.

Many background programs running while defragging? None except Avast, same as my computer.

Any large video or picture files? I'll check.

Could you please write what settings are used!! Default, same as mine.

Most complete and fastest defrag with no other application running while defrag is going on.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi John

Under User cp and edit options you will find this:

Default Thread Subscription Mode

Just choose the type of subscription you want.

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread. Do not subscribe - No email notification -Instant email notification - Daily email notification - Weekly email notification - Default Thread Subscription Mode:

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks everybody.

By the way, I thought I was subscribed to this thread, but I didn't get an email notification of the responses. Anyone know how to fix that?

Hi John

Under User cp and edit options you will find this:

Default Thread Subscription Mode

Just choose the type of subscription you want.

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread. Do not subscribe - No email notification -Instant email notification - Daily email notification - Weekly email notification - Default Thread Subscription Mode:

Cheers

solbjerg

Yep, that's what I did. I chose instant email notification. And I got an email about this message from you, so it seems to be working now, but I didn't get notified about the other previous replies. Oh, well, looks like it's working now.

thanks

Hi John

Well, thanks for feedback!

You yourself are the one closest to the process and the sequence it was performed in - if you find an explanation please post it. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Yep, that's what I did. I chose instant email notification. And I got an email about this message from you, so it seems to be working now, but I didn't get notified about the other previous replies. Oh, well, looks like it's working now.

thanks

Archived