IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Moved from PM to forum. LeslieRandolph

Melvin_Deal

Hi all!! Here is a PM I just received. It should be here for all to help!

Private Message: question

Today, 10:22 AM

leslierandolph

Junior Member Join Date: Jan 2010

question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning, Melvin,

I came upon one of your answers on this forum and think you can answer a question I have about Advanced SystemCare. I would post my question but I am not sure how to do so; I don't use forums so am not savvy about posting and don't see an obvious way to post on this site.

Anyway, the other day I downloaded Advanced SystemCare from the CNET site and ran it. I then ran my Windows defrag program, as a computer tech once told me to always run defrag after I do a registry clean. I now cannot open any of my programs except Explorer. I think something "small" is missing from my programs and thereby not allowing the program to show up on my desktop even though the program actually is "open" according to my computer. I know this because I went to reinstall Firefox, and the install wizard told me to close Firefox in order to install it. Well, Firefox was not showing up on my desktop, but I HAD tried to open it, so I am thinking it actually was open but I couldn't see the browser on my interface. So, I restarted my computer. When I went to reinstall Firefox, a Firefox window opened on my desktop and my problem was solved, even though I hadn't actually reinstalled the program yet.

Based on this information, can you tell me if there is anything I can do, other than reinstallling my programs, to get them back in working order? Did Advanced SystemCare get rid of something in my programs that causes them to not open on my desktop, but otherwise the programs are still there and functioning properly?

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Best regards,

Leslie Randolph

Advised how to post already!

I have already advised leslierandolph how to post here and removed his/her private email address from the post. It appears he/she has now logged off but I'm sure will be back.

I also advised NOT to uninstall or reinstall anything until issue is addressed!

I also sent him/her a direct link to this location!

Leslierandolph, Welcome here!!

This is the link to the thread Solbjerg mentions below: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=1979

Hi Leslie Randolph

Please read Usage of IObit Products located in the Lounge section!!

Alternatively the manual - link to the manual in the program - Start/Programs/Advanced SystemCare/ Manual

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. this kind of problem usually arises from not checking "Problems" during the scan/"Repair" and placing the files you do not want to "optimize" in the Ignore List before clicking Repair. Most often files from the "System Optimize" function

Hi all!! Here is a PM I just received. It should be here for all to help!

Private Message: question

Today, 10:22 AM

leslierandolph

Junior Member Join Date: Jan 2010

question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning, Melvin,

I came upon one of your answers on this forum and think you can answer a question I have about Advanced SystemCare. I would post my question but I am not sure how to do so; I don't use forums so am not savvy about posting and don't see an obvious way to post on this site.

Anyway, the other day I downloaded Advanced SystemCare from the CNET site and ran it. I then ran my Windows defrag program, as a computer tech once told me to always run defrag after I do a registry clean. I now cannot open any of my programs except Explorer. I think something "small" is missing from my programs and thereby not allowing the program to show up on my desktop even though the program actually is "open" according to my computer. I know this because I went to reinstall Firefox, and the install wizard told me to close Firefox in order to install it. Well, Firefox was not showing up on my desktop, but I HAD tried to open it, so I am thinking it actually was open but I couldn't see the browser on my interface. So, I restarted my computer. When I went to reinstall Firefox, a Firefox window opened on my desktop and my problem was solved, even though I hadn't actually reinstalled the program yet.

Based on this information, can you tell me if there is anything I can do, other than reinstallling my programs, to get them back in working order? Did Advanced SystemCare get rid of something in my programs that causes them to not open on my desktop, but otherwise the programs are still there and functioning properly?

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Best regards,

Leslie Randolph

thank you

Dear Mel and Solbjerg,

Thank you for your kind welcome and replies. Mel, you mentioned that you explained how to post and advised not to uninstall/reinstall, but I do not see where you said this so I think I may have missed an email or thread to this effect.

Your advice to read the manual and/or usage of IObit products info. is obvious and my embarrassment well deserved. I will do that!

Thanks again,

Leslie

More info!

If you ran ASC by pushing the "Care" button in the middle of the user interface... you did run ASC's system optimization. A little confused now as to what happened. Did the problem occur right after you ran ASC, or Defrag, upon restart, or after you ran Windows scan and repair? Please clarify!!

Also... what version of windows are you running?

Please let us know!

A Screen shot (picture of the problem) would be helpful. If you don't know how to do this then review this thread: Usage of IObit Products - Screenshots and Attachments in the Forum. Here is the link: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?p=12357#post12357

Okie may be onto something in the next post... a screenshot would be most helpful!!!

Hi Leslie

Did you try the ASC Restore Center?

Have you tried the following suggestion in Usage of IObit Products?

Performance

"Let Windows choose the best settings for your computer"

This window can be reached by writing sysdm.cpl in "Run" or

The Windows key + Pause/Break Opens System Settings and then you choose the tab Advanced and the button Performance - Settings

Or you can right click My Computer, choose Properties - the tab Advanced and the button "Settings" in the Performance section.

This can sometimes restore settings that the System Optimize has changed, but you will then have to place that "problem" in the Ignore List the next time you run System Optimize.

There are further possibilities in that window if you want to experiment a bit.

If it works - be sure to place the appropriate files from the "Problems" generated in the Ignore List - next time you run a scan/repair before clicking repair.

Don't use the Care button the first couple of times!!

Cheers

solbjerg

Dear Mel and Solbjerg,

Thank you for your kind welcome and replies. Mel, you mentioned that you explained how to post and advised not to uninstall/reinstall, but I do not see where you said this so I think I may have missed an email or thread to this effect.

Your advice to read the manual and/or usage of IObit products info. is obvious and my embarrassment well deserved. I will do that!

Thanks again,

Leslie

Problem solved - thank you!

Thank you ALL for your input and help!

My problem seems to be solved. I took Solbjerg's advice - "Or you can right click My Computer, choose Properties - the tab Advanced and the button "Settings" in the Performance section. This can sometimes restore settings that the System Optimize has changed" - and this did seem to reset everything such that now all of my programs are opening and working.

A little extra information that might help others... I am using Vista, and I am pretty sure I ran only the Maintain Windows portion of ASC. It ran automatically when ASC opened, and I did not run anything else.

Thank you again for your help. I am sure I will be back as I try again to use ASC, more carefully this next time!

Leslie

Hi Leslie

Glad it worked!! Thanks for your feedback!

As far as I remember the program does start on its own, unless this option has been deselected during install.

When that happens you can stop the the scan and then start it manually again, or you can click the "problems" shown as soon as they materialize and choose the desired action before moving on to the next scan section.

What probably happened was that the program ran the first run without you interrupting the scan, (also the System optimize) and consequently nothing was placed in the Ignore List.

The real crux of the matter though is that too many people do not read manuals :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you ALL for your input and help!

My problem seems to be solved. I took Solbjerg's advice - "Or you can right click My Computer, choose Properties - the tab Advanced and the button "Settings" in the Performance section. This can sometimes restore settings that the System Optimize has changed" - and this did seem to reset everything such that now all of my programs are opening and working.

A little extra information that might help others... I am using Vista, and I am pretty sure I ran only the Maintain Windows portion of ASC. It ran automatically when ASC opened, and I did not run anything else.

Thank you again for your help. I am sure I will be back as I try again to use ASC, more carefully this next time!

Leslie

Hi Okie,

I think the idea is that a user installs the program & Boom- "the computer runs great & I didn't have to do anything!!!" Great in most cases, but as we have seen, sometimes the user may be running something else that it creates a problem with, and before the have a chance to learn what the program does they are desperately trying to figure out what happened! First reaction is probably not going to be "read the manual to find out how to restore it, then figure out what to ignore". Instead, a complete clean un-install is the choice, including backups that could have fixed it right away, & without leaving the user a chance to figure out how fix it and how to benefit from the program. I personally wish they would change it back & stop the automatic scan when the program opens for the first time.

I step down from my soapbox now.:razz:

samr.

Hi Mel

That would really be good!!

In the meantime it would help I think if we all had a link in our signatures like wozofoz to the Usage of IObit Products thread.

Unfortunately IObit removed the link to it in the header some time ago to make room for advertising their product.

I used it then often because it was easy to copy and insert in an answer without leaving the post you were writing in.

Hi samr - I'll join you on the soapbox if I may :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Glad leslierandolphs issue is solved!!:smile:

Too bad the install file doesn't automatically steer to the Usage of Iobit Products thread!:shock:!!!

A few observations and questions/concerns

A few observations and questions/concerns:

Observation: I have gone through the online help, which is pretty thorough and looks more like a manual to me. The Manual provided as a link in the free version of ASC is just a quick start guide which does not seem helpful for someone like me.

Question: I still don’t think I did any scan other than Maintain Windows because when I view Statistics it shows that I have no defragmented files, and the online help says the Diagnose System does System Optimization, Security Defense, and Disk Defragment. The summary of my Last (and only) Scan is as follows:

Total scans performed: 1;

Total problems fixed: 758;

Total junk files removed: 37.83 MB;

Total fragmented files defragmented: 0.

Can you tell from this info. if I am correct in this assumption that I only did the Maintain Windows?

Concern: It concerns me that this program got rid of something as important as whatever it is that lets my programs open onto my desktop. I am not savvy enough to know what this is, so I am afraid that I would not know what to “Ignore” in the list of Problems that comes up with any of the scans.

Which brings me to my final question, for the moment at least, and that is should anyone at my level – who knows just enough about computers to be dangerous to herself – be using this program? Having to check all of the Problems and know what to and not to Ignore seems to require a bit more knowledge than I have.

Thanks again for your insights and help.

Leslie

You did run Diagnose system.

The fact that the defrag indicates 0 files defragged proves you ran it.

The default (I believe) is set to only defrag if your disk reaches the point of 10% fragmentaion. Since you have not yet reached that threshhold, it did not defrag any files. You can change this threshold to suit your wishes, you can even ask it to defrag every time if you wish! I have my threshhold set at 3%.

Leslirandolph, your case is the exception. Most people have absolutely no problems upon install of ASC!:smile:

This forum exists to help the ones that do (like you)!

If you are concerned about what to choose to ignore... you can paste the list here for guidance!!!

Thanks for your feedback!

Hi Leslie

Please read all of Usage of IObit Products!

If you do not have smartdefrag installed it won't do a smartdefrag. (in free version)

The optimizing doesn't "get rid of things" it changes the settings of some files in order to save resources.

You just got the computer and program working again, so the files that will be shown under "problems" there in the system optimize will be those you want to place in the Ignore List.

After you have configured the settings and your ignore list you will seldomly have to touch it again (it will be very close to the advertised one - click solution) :-)

IObit Help http://www.iobit.com/help/ and then for example "How to use" is a manual

Usage of IObit Products just have some more information. But under IObit help there is a link to this thread too.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Okie

I have 4 things in my Ignore list all related to visual effects, and I have never experienced trouble using the function in the more than three years I have used it after I placed those items in the Ignore List.

But what should be put there depends on ones preferences and how you want your computer to function (individual choices must be made)

As Melvin mentioned - there was a log file saying that nothing was defragged - which gives a very strong hint that Diagnose System was indeed run - and as that was the case, most probably System Optimize was run too.

But it happens fast, so I can understand why it wasn't noticed, especially as one is confident that only one click is enough.

Not so - at least not for the first couple of runs.

This is why I always recommend that one reads the manual before running any program.

I have done exactly the same years back, - but learned my lesson.

Read my Dishwashing story :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi people!! I have been watching this thread from the beginning, and the more posts I read, the more confused I get. We started out by not having icons on the desk top. The programs were still there but weren't on the desk top. Leslie said she took solbjerg's advice and that fixed the problem. I'm not sure just exactly what that was or how that could fix a problem with not having icons on the desk top. That is just one thing I don't understand. Leslie has a log of some kind showing what she scanned, and what ASC fixed; and doesn't believe she did the Diagnose System scan. I think she knows what she did or did not do. I would like to know where she found this log. I can't find any logs like that. What caused her problem, and when did it start. Leslie says she did the Maintain Windows scan and then used the defrag program that is in Windows, because a friend told her that after cleaning the registry she should always do a defrag. Soon after that,there were no icons on the desk top. I have never heard of Windows defrag causing this problem, so ASC must have caused it. What does optimizing have to do with this problem and since that is done when you do a Diagnose System scan, which Leslie is pretty sure she didn't do, and has said that several times, have to do with her original problem. I am not very PC literate my self ,but have a fair idea what is being said and I'm totally confused. I can see how Leslie could be wondering about all that has been posted on this thread. Here is my advice Leslie for what it's worth. Don't be afraid of ASC3. Do a Maintain Windows scan just like you did before. Let ASC3 repair the problems. Then use your PC a few days and see if every thing is OK. If its OK ,do your defrag and see if every thing is OK. If at any time some thing changes and doesn't work like it did, use ASC3's restore feature to to put back the changes ASC3 made. I have System Optimization un checked in the Diagnose System scan. I personally think that causes more problems than it fixes. Any one not real PC literate should stay away from that feature. I feel really bad that you have been scared and are afraid to use this wonderful program. I know you will love it as much as I do after you have made your self familiar with all it can do for you. There are some really smart people on this forum ready to help you with any PC problems you might have, so please don't be afraid to use this program. Welcome to our forum Leslie. ---Okie

Hi Okie,

I was trying to put virus in your PC. :twisted: :-P

That could be normal as it tries to put the e-bay shortcut to your PC, so take it as granted.:lol:

MSE is a good cather, and I use it too.

Microsoft doesn't see it as a virus according to VirusTotal result, but McAfee-GW-Edition does.

File Unlocker.exe received on 2010.01.18 15:37:45 (UTC)

Current status: finished

Result: 1/41 (2.44%)

Cheers.

Unlocker Portable

You can get Unlocker Portable 1.8.8 from SoftPedia if you prefer the portable version

@ [noparse]http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/File-management/Unlocker-Portable.shtml[/noparse]

Comodo and A-Squared both cleared it as OK so I scanned all parts of it at VirusTotal (just for fun :grin: ) and got the following results.

I'm going to keep it, I like to live on the edge :mrgreen:

UnlockerPortable.exe

1/41 (McAfee-GW-Edition) Heuristic.BehavesLike.Win32.Downloader.H

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/5a8b52bdcc432b4001000bc87db503d550b5407a4f4fd35b47a6bf9922734d82-1263797474

UnLockerAssistant.exe

0/41

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/02eadc637274d963bc852884d846fecef7913f5b7b6789322377e2f2b0acf1c2-1263797705

UnlockerDriver5.sys

0/41

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/8cbadc9e73a1a647fbb2fc4d603cd2a478162890da657dc039a8389214ae22d2-1263797806

UnlockerHook.dll

1/41 (McAfee-GW-Edition) Heuristic.BehavesLike.Win32.CodeInjection.P

http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/bc5966055b03f895c7d817303565a35550799c0943c00654bf9ff3454b9a2377-1263797956

All the best, woz of oz

'^%Y+&/)/

Hi Okie, my friend, don't take all of my words and posts seriously, I was razzing you too, sorry if it sounded serious.:lol:

Hi wozofoz, this unlocker thing is funny, as my AV is McAfee and doesn't see it as a virus, but McAfee-GW in VirusTotal sees it as a virus. On the other hand (I prefer one handed financial officers. :-P), MSE is Microsoft and sees it as a virus, but Microsoft in VirusTotal doesn't see it as a virus. How about that? :roll:

Cheers to you all. :wink:

HijackThis

Hi Leslie :-)

Is everything working satisfactorily? :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Okie, solbjerg says that we have hijacked Leslie's thread.:lol:

Look at the thread we had adjusted your optimization, as far as I remember it is not the same as your last one.

Anyway, although it is changed, it is one minus optimal.:razz: Keep it as it is.

I have to see the whole lines to say anything about the Ignore List items!!!

Please open another thread if you want to continue.

Cheers.

Archived