IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Can't open notepad.

blacksea

Hi So_sad and enoskype,

I'm really sorry for the late respons but I had big problems with my computer. Unfortunately I downloaded a security program what was meant to protect me from keyloggers. After downloading it asked me to reboot and that is what I did. After that my PC was continuously rebooting it self. So the last thing I could do was boot up from CD and install a new OS again.

I'm really really sorry for wasting both of your time with the effort of trying to help me. All the hunting were no good :(. But still my big thanks for you BOTH!

Blacksea.

Thank you enoskype. If blacksea wishes to pursue the malware possibility, then I'm willing to go that route and hopefully we'll find the cause of all this.

blacksea : I don't suggest a System Restore at this stage because it would go back too far (early December) and I don't wish to cause more problems on your system ; restoring to an earlier date is less of a concern when the date chosen is very recent (a day or two, for example).

Ok, a few more questions before we run any new tools :

- Have you had any signs/symptoms of malware or infection since December ? Redirects, popups, very slow machine, etc...

- Have you scanned your machine with updated IS360 and MBAM recently ? If so, have they found anything ?

- Has Avast! 5 given you any alerts ?

- Has Comodo firewall blocked anything lately ?

Thanks.

====

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello blacksea :smile:

Not a problem at all. Those are the joys of computing life.

Your machine was already unstable, so to speak, from a suspected infection that hit sometime in early December most likely. Doing things on your own probably didn't help (that keylogger thing for example), but the best learning comes from experimenting, doesn't it ?

Reinstalling the OS is, ultimately, the best way to recover a fully functionnal machine, but it's a pain in the a$$... and there are other ways to overcome infections.

Now, can you tell us which anti-keylogger program you tried to install ? It could help others avoid it altogether... and I could research a bit to see if I could find more info on it.

Also, can you tell us what protections you have installed on the fresh machine ? Perhaps we can guide you with that as well.

===

Hi So_sad,

Yes I learned allot from computing by experiencing. I like to do things with anti malware -virus programs. I'm also interested in speeding up computers and disinfect them. I try allot of new programs for those things.

But unfortunately, I don't know what the program that was. I came up via via trough other sites. I searched back for it, but no result.

At this moment I'm using Avast free, Comodo firewall, IS360 and ASC. Do I need anything more for vurnabilities?

Blacksea.

Hi there backsea :smile:

Thanks for the info. One thing is for sure : if you like to play with fire, you know what can happen :wink:

Kidding aside : malware removal has become serious business these past few years. Infections are highly complex and some are destructive ; you can't just remove many of them on your own anymore. Antivirus programs and "general"antimalware tools do well with some infections but are powerless against the nasty ones. Trying things can be Ok as long as you know what you're doing.

I don't like Avast! personnaly, because they are usually late adding new threats to their database. I much prefer Avira or even MSSE (Microsoft's antivirus). Comodo is Ok but they ship it with toolbars now, which is something I can't stand. I prefer Online Armor, Outpost or Sunbelt's firewalls.

Safe surfing is the #1 prevention tip, always :mrgreen:

===

Thank you for all the advise you gave me. And your right, fire is not something just to play with. My parents are using this computer also using this computer. But by me Avast! is updating 2 or 3 times a day sometimes.

But i'm okay with Comodo. And what is your security setup?

Blacksea.

Hi there backsea :smile:

Thanks for the info. One thing is for sure : if you like to play with fire, you know what can happen :wink:

Kidding aside : malware removal has become serious business these past few years. Infections are highly complex and some are destructive ; you can't just remove many of them on your own anymore. Antivirus programs and "general"antimalware tools do well with some infections but are powerless against the nasty ones. Trying things can be Ok as long as you know what you're doing.

I don't like Avast! personnaly, because they are usually late adding new threats to their database. I much prefer Avira or even MSSE (Microsoft's antivirus). Comodo is Ok but they ship it with toolbars now, which is something I can't stand. I prefer Online Armor, Outpost or Sunbelt's firewalls.

Safe surfing is the #1 prevention tip, always :mrgreen:

===

Hi blacksea,

You have to realize one important thing about Avast! : frequent updates are no proof of efficiency. Some antivirus programs can update every 3 minutes (approximately) if you set them that way. Avast! updates a lot, but rarely for the new and present dangers ; we've seen it over and over again on the forums. Avast! even offers all those "shields" that make you feel safe ; the truth is, no matter how many shiny shields you put up, if your malware definitions are lacking, the shields won't see anything no matter how comfortable they make you feel. In my opinion, Avast! can work for those at low risk of infection ;)

My machine has Avira AntiVir Free, Vista firewall and some antimalware program you may have heard of but I won't mention the name - Pro version with resident shield and IP protection. I also have a Hosts file (MVPS). That's about it. I never get alerts, but the kids do sometimes :mrgreen:

All testing is done in a virtual environment, never on this machine directly. Do I get alerts while in the virtual machines ?

Oh yeah...:shock:

====

Hi Blacksea!

By posting here now... I have updated myself!

It is unwise to randomly install and run softwares based on the claims of their marketing efforts. You must do some research before install.

The fact that you can't remember, shows a little flippancy (hastiness and disregard to opening your system and the repercussions that it can have).

Simple yet powerful solutions are there already, and no need to make it more complicated!

So_sad is so correct in this!

Be careful in what you try, at least isolate your system if you're going to try it, (if its the only one you have).

And by all means create a backup image!!

That's all I got to say about all that!:mrgreen:

-Mel

Peace, Prosperity, and Longevity to All!

Hi So_sad & Melvin_deal,

Ty both for the good advices you 2 gave. Your right, I have to settle down a bit. It's not good that I like to play with fire to much. This is my only computer. And of course, a backup image is ready, I learned from the experience of my brother and myself !

Peace,

Blacksea.

Archived