IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

USB Hard Drive question.

Ted

Hi, All,

I backup a Macrium Image regularly to my Seagate 160 gb FreeAgent USB HDD. and also to my 40gb internal HDD (which only just holds the Image).

At the moment a local store is offering a special price on Seagate Expansion 500gb USB Desktop Hard Drives and I am seriously thinking of buying one. This HDD has its own power supply, apparently, so only one USB cable would be needed. My Seagate FreeAgent HDD uses two USB cables.

My question: As this HDD has its own power supply, I guess it would be okay to leave it always connected, or is this not a good idea?

I have a seagate freeagent desktop 1tb. I have this connected to a surge protector with my other computer power supplies, so when i turn my computer off and turn off the socket at the wall then the HDD turns off, and visa versa. Also because it is on all the time when my computer is, every sunday at lunch time it automaticly backs up, i just let it run while i eat, come back and it's done. simple.

Ive had this set-up for quite a while now and no problems here.

wrexe

Hi, All,

I backup a Macrium Image regularly to my Seagate 160 gb FreeAgent USB HDD. and also to my 40gb internal HDD (which only just holds the Image).

At the moment a local store is offering a special price on Seagate Expansion 500gb USB Desktop Hard Drives and I am seriously thinking of buying one. This HDD has its own power supply, apparently, so only one USB cable would be needed. My Seagate FreeAgent HDD uses two USB cables.

My question: As this HDD has its own power supply, I guess it would be okay to leave it always connected, or is this not a good idea?

"I guess it would be okay to leave it always connected"

look its fine when using the pc..but when turning of the system

turn this of as well...only when win -is of(pc)

turn it on before you boot up..and if you do not need it leave it of..

as advised.in my case its on when i start the system..my main back up USB

"to minimize the harm that may be implied by physical shocks."

something to think about.i have special power board .that takes care of this

you may want to get one as well? if you do not already have one

a 6 pin power board. i think are around $40 or so and well worth the cost .

i use the same type of store drives.

as advised only use this when need to back up.

here is a big tip.

when you want it of.make sure you do this at reboot only

as soon as win is completely closed. why.sometimes switching off can, and you may lose the drive at the next session .

let me ex plane this.

when closing the drive(USB) by not properly doing so by win its can lose a few bytes.then when it turned on ,win want to correct this.

and that is where the problem starts

you can lose the drive as win complains it cant recover the bytes..

next thing half is lost..

i hope you understand what i am trying to say

just be sure to let win close it first.

unmount it.

by the way thy are very good ,its and i advice get it ,you will be most happy you did..perhaps look at a terry byte ,i know thy are a bit more in cost

but you have a heap on storage..

and be most happy you went for this wise?

itsmejjj

Thanks, fellas, for all the good advice. Much appreciated.

If I leave the HDD permanently connected to its USB socket, then after use I'll unmount it and switch its power off. Sound okay?

yes .

if i may repeat . you switch it on" first"

then start your PC. do not switch it on after wards ,or the pc is booting.and half way into a boot switch it on.

2nd you can switch it on if the system is running.not a problem

but leave it on.till you shut down your system.when done then switch it of.

NOTE :leave it on. always when you have the system running..

when done,transferring data.or you feel you do not need the drive,(this is important) turn of the system.let the system shut it down..

switch it of. trust this. what i say .its a sure method ,and safe way .of keeping all place.

at no time turn it " of " when running your OS.. but its safe to turn it on

running your OS..and leave it on..

itsmejjj

Hi there, itsmejjj,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Your second option sounds the one for me: Switch on the power to the Desktop HDD when the computer is up and running, then disconnect after the computer. has switched off.

It's okay to leave the USB plug connected all the time, isn't it?

Hi Ted!!!

Hi again, itsmejjj,

With my Seagate FreeAgent HDD I always use the Windows "Safe To Remove Hardware" tool. Is disconnecting after switching off the computer a safer method?

Hi friend.IMHO you are using the best way. I never leave my seagate powered on unless I'm going to use it. As soon as I'm done making my back up with macrium, I disconnect my seagate and lay it on top of my tower. My Macrium back up images are the most important thing I have and I don't want them corrupted. I have had corrupted images before. and blamed it on leaving my USB plugged in all the time. All I know for sure is the way your doing it is the suggested way. I don't use both cords on my seagate. I just use one and it works just fine. If Windows won't let you disconnect your USB, use unlocker to help you disconnect it. Just unlock it and then Windows will let you disconnect it the way your doing it. That's the way I do it my friend. Just passing through my friend.PS If you are scheduling back ups, I guess you would just leave your USB on all the time. I just use the free version of Macrium, so I don't leave my USB on. http://ask-leo.com/safely_remove_hardware_where_did_the_icon_go_how_do_i_safely_remove_hardware_without_it.html

Hi there, itsmejjj,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Your second option sounds the one for me: Switch on the power to the Desktop HDD when the computer is up and running, then disconnect after the computer. has switched off.

It's okay to leave the USB plug connected all the time, isn't it?

yes --my ones are always in the system..( USB pluged)

the new switch one .self powered.added in the out side (self power cabled its own power plug) type box..

"when the computer is up and running" no ,before its booting.

in other words ,this is switched on 1 st .then the system..

this must never be turned on during a boot (but before a boot)-also never pull out the usb cable

while its running (OS) never switch it of the OS running.

i did this 1 time , and lost the whole drive..

its to do with the size of them.or the fact it had no time to lock itself..

when i do not use the usb drive ,its simply cold"off" .switch on the back of the box,when i use it .most of the time its always on..usb never unplugged.

and the power on .its always available .win safely closes it when debooting.

power the system of.then only then switch of the box..

let me ex plane something here ,with the old IE drives this was not a problem.

i have 2 that are 200 gig .and many from 40 ,80 100-gig IE drives.

the sata drive behave different.and are faster.(very) plus we talk terry byte

or 300, 400, 500,700,gig that i have.now own a 1,4 terry byte.

be leave it or not its the 700 that gave me problems.

so its in the system)pc) now.and perfect...i use on this one my net pc

" 1 USB,400gig ,drive.BACK up and very good..

and 2 terry byte drives total 3.1 terry bytes..all up "

my personal system..

OUR . bank has now 7 drives .in a old tower case converted.

all different in size.from 200,to 1 terry byte. this is or main store dive

every thing is on this .copied from our downloads.app .and so on..

all linked to the systems ,by usb cables..

any how i hope its not confusing?

sata drives

The purpose of the removing a device , Windows will finish whatever it needs to do with it. In the case of USB disks, flushes all disk buffers,and close it. avoiding things like potential corruption.

if you remove a USB cable , it's possible to corrupt the contents of the drive. it's possible.to happen

and has happened to me.

The problem is that occasionally, for reasons unknown, the Hardrive can disappear. it's nowhere to be found.by your next boot..

i am not talking a flash drive type

this is a external drive..in a power box.that i think you want to get hold of..

with a usb cable .now as for safely remove apps ,you decide,but i do not trust them on terry bite drives..thy have falled also the odd time..

look its very simple relay .only have them on.when before booting.and of after shutting the system down. booting has finished..safe .

i am talking power.zips..not usb cable..forget this ..its in all the time..thy are self protecting..my one on this is a shintaro external box..can hold any hard drive .inserted.

not made for IE .drives.but sata drives only..my ie have the older type external boxes..we own 5 of them .

my bank is different.it was made by jon..that have IE and SATA drives..

combiner..

we are talking external boxes.power cable,1 usb cable..

and one would not want to have to stand up and reach be hide the box

all the time.

so my one is on 90% of the time.i just leave it running .power on..

ok here is a other thing if the usb cable is in the front of the pc.my one is in the back of the pc.its in all the time.one would not pull the unit forwards just to remove the usb cable..and then fiddle to try to pug it back in..

but when the system is down.cold of i can reach the power switch comfortable .

ok that plenty to confuse you ..haaaa

itsmejjj

Hi, Gary,

Thank you for your advice. I always operate My Seagate FreeAgent drive in this fashion, but wasn't sure about the new Expansion drive. Yes, mine will work on one USB plug too, but I always use both, just to be sure. Have you ever tried running it on a USB hub? mine won't work, for some reason.

Hi Ted

Hi, Gary,

Thank you for your advice. I always operate My Seagate FreeAgent drive in this fashion, but wasn't sure about the new Expansion drive. Yes, mine will work on one USB plug too, but I always use both, just to be sure. Have you ever tried running it on a USB hub? mine won't work, for some reason.

Never tried a USB hub Ted. I'm just a simple man with a simple computer. I saw an old friend that introduced me to Seagate with a question and thought I would respond with the little bit of knowledge I have.

Hi there, enoskype,

try a self powered fast USB hub, and see if the external drive works then
No big deal, really. The FreeAgent drive works perfectly when plugged into my lower front USB ports. It's just laziness on my part wanting an extension at my fingertips and not having to wrestle wih my USB plugs as I try to manoeuver them into their sockets at the bottom of my tower.

• 2 weeks later...

problems with Harddrive bootups?

I have a Verbatim 1TB and an Iomega 1.5TB. They both do a good job, but I like the Iomega best.

If I turn on the Verbatim & then boot up, Windows Explorer usually doesn't even see the drive,so I'd have to then turn it off and back on at which time Windows Explorer will finally see it.

It's better to just turn it on after boot up... EXCEPT when I use the Macrium Reflect Linux Rescue CD and do a Restore.

I use the drives mostly for Macrium Reflect backups of my various computers, but to restore or rescue a hard drive, the Macrium Reflect Rescue won't see the drive, unless I start the harddrive as soon as the computer gets past the Bios boot up, and the Rescue disk starts to boot up.

I wait for the Rescue disk to first start to boot, and I then quickly switch on the Hard drive.

Macrium Rescue will see it then and the MR rescue works just fine.

I read where some PC's won't even startup with the large capacity removable drives on. I don't have this problem, but the Iomega manual mentions this and says some computers' BIOS has a conflict with large capacity USB drives, so the USB drive must be turned on after the computer gets past the BIOS bootup.

Archived