IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Microsoft Security Essentials & Unlocker

jelrikj

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all...

I can see why there is a hub-bub about this at MS. My take on all the posts here is that MSE was really designed for 7... (thus Enoskype's no prob over the top): somewhat supported by Vista... (thus I must uninstall before upgrade)... and a total pain in the A-- for XP users. And will pretty not run at all on versions of windows previous to XP. (of course):-?

-Mel

Bill knows best

I can see why there is a hub-bub about this at MS. My take on all the posts here is that MSE was really designed for 7... (thus Enoskype's no prob over the top): somewhat supported by Vista... (thus I must uninstall before upgrade)... and a total pain in the A-- for XP users. And will pretty not run at all on versions of windows previous to XP. (of course):-?

-Mel

That is my thinking too, Win 7 and it's Firewall and MSE are designed with each other in mind.

From what I have read on the forums if/when I go with Win 7, MSE will be my Security of choice. Unless there are radical changes in the future of course.

A friend of mine was planning to buy a new NoteBook with Win 7 and asked my advice on which AV and Firewall to use, she wanted low maintanence, good protection and lite on resources, so I went for a search of the NoteBook forums.

To my surprise many folks were extremely happy with MSE and the Win 7 Firewall :shock:

There were of course plenty of "my AV and Firewall is the best in the entire universe" fan boys but there were also many who had been converted.

I even found some who had paid versions of a Security package by Kapersky, McAfee, Norton, AVG etc but had tried MSE and stuck with it even though their subscription to the other Security package was still valid.

By the way, my friend installed MSE and uses the Win 7 Firewall, I asked her how it was going and she said:

I forgot it was there (low maintanence and lite on resources) I just did a scan and all is ok (good protection)

I have not found such rave reviews by XP users but if I did I would probably be using MSE now :wink:

Hi friends. Big dog says just be patient.Update will be automatic in the near future. I'll just wait for Uncle Bill to get his xxxx together.===garybear

Good idea to let them decide when it's ready :smile:

I really think MS is trying to do a good job with MSE

All the best, woz of oz

Well Mel

Apparently some have trouble installing this version on XP

I use XP sp3 and had no problems whatsoever.

Before I downloaded the new version I read about it, and it said that the previous version had to be uninstalled beforehand.

Made sense to me as I updated to get the program in the Danish version and the version I had was an English version, while Danish language hadn't been available initially.

Since it essentially were the same program with just a different language I chose to just use the standard uninstall from Add/Remove in the control panel.

All went as it should and the program ran fine - still does!

My thoughts on this is that - first that this update is mostly for language choices that wasn't in the program from the start.

Second that if an install over the top has been tried (without first uninstalling the previous version) something gets mixed up and the uninstallation requires the uninstall procedure mentioned in the previous posts.

Third - if something works - why change it?

I suppose that when Microsoft is ready they will provide an update through Windows/Microsoft Update

Cheers

solbjerg

MSE cannot be installed over the top. Microsofts install wizard is supposed to tell you this and stop the install of the new version. In your case that appears to not have happened. Why, I don't know. My install was seamless.

You must completely remove the old version, before you install the new.

The only two bits that have is to remove all traces of MSE from your system(while off line) and boot with nothing.(MSE-wise that is)... no internet connection or anything. Then re-image. Then completely un-install, then get new version.

Sounds stupid and redundant I know!

Just a guess. But then I know that this upgrade cannot be installed over the top... as its a different version, and windows will not allow you to install two versions of MSE on the same machine.

Question....? Just an idea. did you shut down the real time protection before upgrading? Make the little green tent turn red in the system tray?

-Mel

I'm starting to hate MSE too. I updated to version 1959 yesterday and the problems started then and there. It wouldn't start or update and gave the errorcode 0x8007064C. So I removed it and tried to re-install. But then it said it couldn't be installed on my computer (while it passed validation). Removing all remnants with the OneCare Cleanup Tool didn't help, removing all register leftovers with RegSeeker didn't help.

So.. Now I'm back at AVG (which I hated because it is bloated).

*sigh*

Hi fredvries!!

I'm starting to hate MSE too. I updated to version 1959 yesterday and the problems started then and there. It wouldn't start or update and gave the errorcode 0x8007064C. So I removed it and tried to re-install. But then it said it couldn't be installed on my computer (while it passed validation). Removing all remnants with the OneCare Cleanup Tool didn't help, removing all register leftovers with RegSeeker didn't help.

So.. Now I'm back at AVG (which I hated because it is bloated).

*sigh*

Hi friend, You need Macrium Reflect when you have these kind of problems. If you had made a backup image with Macrium, you could be back with the old version of MSEE and running just fine. I tried twice to upgrade MSEE, and had your same problems, but I just put my rescue CD in and reinstalled a perfect image of my OS with Macrium ( twice.) If you back up your OS, these kind of problems are just a small annoyance. I tried to warn everyone about trying this upgrade. Uncle Bill with pull his head out and fix this soon. Microsoft is getting a lot of flack about this.===garybear PS I may not be the smartest cat on the block my friends, but some times you might want to listen to old bear!!! PSS. I just counted my posts on this thread,and there were 12 warning about this update. It's hard for me to fell sorry for anyone that's having a problem. Some times I know a little some thing. If your real smart, you will forget Returnil Virtual also. I'm not one to tell you "I told you so "; I TOLD YOU SO!!!

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!

Sounds as though loads of fun is being enjoyed by all with MSE!

I am using AVAST, ASC 3, MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware plus Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, Secunia and CCleaner. I have no problems. Do I need MSE?

Hi Ted,

It is not advisable to use two A/V programs, you have to make your choice between AVAST and MSE.

The latest released MSE is | Microsoft Security Essentials 1.0.1961.0

The program is different for Windows XP and different for Windows Vista and Windows 7 with same version #.

Cheers.

Hi old friend!!

Hi, enoskype,

Not a difficult choice for me. I'll stick with my tried and trusted AVAST.

Many thanks.

------------------

Hi old friend!! You need a malware program running in real time with your AV. Just running an AV program is not good IMHO. IObit 360 would be good AntiMalware program to run with Avast!! PS I'm running MSE, which has both anti-virus, and anti-malware in real time!! ("I am using AVAST, ASC 3, MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware plus Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, Secunia and CCleaner. I have no problems. Do I need MSE?

Reply With Quote)" Ted

Hi old friend!!!

WOW!!

Sounds as though loads of fun is being enjoyed by all with MSE!

I am using AVAST, ASC 3, MalwareBytes and SUPERAntiSpyware plus Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, Secunia and CCleaner. I have no problems. Do I need MSE?

Hi friend. You need an anti-malware running in real time. Iobit 360 is a good choose to run along with Avast!!

May give it a go again. Forgot to mention that I do use PC Tools Firewall Plus. Could create conflicts?

Hi Ted,

I am not currently running that combination, but I ran it last year with no problems.

samr.

Hi friends!!

Hi Friends!! I'm out of my pay grade!! I hope I did this right. I tried to down load unlocker and put it on a friends flash drive, MSE didn't like it at all. The screen shots tell the story of what I did. I hope I did every thing right. Would like to see comments from experts!!

Hi guys,

It is not the site but the unlocker itself.

Although, 6/41 is very high figure for a false positive, but I believe unlocker uses an unwanted process (or similar) to unlock the files.

You wouldn't expect M$ to accept any software to unlock their files contrary to their will, would you?

Cheers.

Hi enoskype!!

Hi guys,

It is not the site but the unlocker itself.

Although, 6/41 is very high figure for a false positive, but I believe unlocker uses an unwanted process (or similar) to unlock the files.

You wouldn't expect M$ to accept any software to unlock their files contrary to their will, would you?

Cheers.

Hi friend!! I'm just trying to learn. MSE isn't the only AV that doesn't like the program!! There are 5 more. I do not have a clue what I'm doing. I'm just trying to report what I did, which I'm not real sure I did every thing right. That's why I'm posting all this on the forum. I'm not saying unlocker is bad. I use it all the time. I was going to put it on a flash drive for my friend and all this happened to me, and so I posted on our forum, and I'll let the experts comment on all this.

Unlocker get's flagged because it includes adware, ebay Shortcuts.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/Change Log

Unlocker 1.8.8 - 26/10/2009

- Improved behavior: Improved the way DLLs are unloaded.

- Promotional feature: Added fully optional shortcuts to eBay during the installation. Simply untick "eBay shortcuts" in the choose components page during install if you do not wish to have those.

It's still a good tool. Just don't accept the shortcuts and they will not be added.

I suggest looking at a new tool called LockHunter. It's very good and is 64 bit ready unlike Unlocker. And no adware. http://lockhunter.com/

Hi friend!!!

Unlocker get's flagged because it includes adware, ebay Shortcuts.

It's still a good tool. Just don't accept the shortcuts and they will not be added.

I suggest looking at a new tool called LockHunter. It's very good and is 64 bit ready unlike Unlocker. And no adware. http://lockhunter.com/

Hi friend!! Thanks for your post!!!

Archived