IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer

Microsoft Security Essentials & Unlocker

jelrikj

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi friend

Your welcome.

LockHunter is also useful for deleting large files locked or not. Windows can take a lot of time but LockHunter deleted a 6GB folder for me instantly.

Hi friend!! Have you figured out that we are both Okies?? I live 10 miles west of Enid. A small town called Lahoma.

Unlocker 1.8.9 - Update March/8/2010 is x64 compatible.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

- Fixed bug: Handles should not be missing anymore on Windows7.

- Fixed bug: Potential conflict with regular explorer use when opening multiple files or other shell extensions such as 7-zip.

- Fixed bug: UI should now appear properly when done from clean install.

- Fixed bug: No hangs due to looping junctions should happen anymore.

- Fixed bug: Deleting junctions will not erase original files anymore.

- Fixed bug: Managing your computer on Windows 7 will not crash anymore.

- Fixed bug: Bitmap handles should not leak anymore from the shell extension.

- Fixed bug: Many other potential sources of bugs and crashes.

- Improved behavior: When deleting files they will be sent first to the recycle bin if possible, only if not possible more abrasive deletion will be used.

- Improved behavior: Unlocker can be started directly from the start menu to browse to the desired file or folder.

- Promotional feature: Added fully optional shortcuts to eBay during the installation. Simply untick "eBay shortcuts" in the choose components page during install if you do not wish to have those.

Hi friends!!

This is my email to Mr. MVP at Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm not a happy camper and I've gone back to Avira. Anyone using Macrium and MSE is in for a big surprise if you restore an image, and your running MSE AV!! It's a bad deal my friends. Just thought I should warn you. I'm running XP3, and MSE will never be on my PC again!!

Fix MSE Utility

Hi garybear, did you try the Fix MSE Utility ?

Microsoft Security Essentials, is an excellent freeware antivirus offering from Microsoft. Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

However, just in case anytime, you find that you are facing any issues in running Microsoft Security Essentials due to any reasons, simply run this utility. This utility will restore all its registry values & service settings to known good defaults, without re-installing MSE. It also re-registers the concerned .dll and .exe files, required to run MSE properly. The utility may take only a moment to run, but rest assured, it does the job! It works on both 32bit and 64bit of Windows Operating Systems

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz!!

Hi garybear, did you try the Fix MSE Utility ?

All the best, woz of oz

Hi friend!! No I didn't!! Thanks for your post. Maybe I'll try it again some time, but right now I'm very upset with the program. I spent hours trying to get MSE to work. I restored 5 images that I had created that had MSE on them and it was working when I made the image . MSE pulled the same crap every time. Each time it to tried to upgrade and couldn't, and just shut down on me .I have Avira AV now and will stay with it for a while. AVG is also being a problem with the new 9 version, so it's on my xxxx list also. I like Avira for now. Sorry I was late on your post about Macrium. I hope I answered your question.

Hi gary,

The language what has been shown is Dutch. If you want I am willing to translate it for you.

Verwijderen = Remove/uninstall

Annuleren= Cancel

Cheers.

Hi friend! I tried your uninstaller for MSE. Didn't understand the language and it didn't seem to work for me. Screen shot attached!

Hi Melvin!!!

Wondering if MSE issues are persistent with XP users only? Flawless on my Vista Home Premium and my friend's 7 Professional. Only thing is... I did have to do a clean install on the upgrade.

-Mel

Hi friend!! I think you make a great point about XP3 and MSE, and I also think it's a Bill Gates plot to force Xp3 users to upgrade. I'm not buying into that little plot:-D PS There are 3 different down loads for MSE and you have to choose which one you want. That's the only damn AV program that makes you choose. Avira, Avast, Avg, don't care what your OS is?? PS I'm an expert on clean installs. That didn't work for me. I have 6 emails from the MVP at Microsoft. We have smarter people than him ,right here on our forum!!! I'm not impressed with any Microsoft people. I'll just use Avira!!!

Hi friend!!

Hi gary,

The language what has been shown is Dutch. If you want I am willing to translate it for you.

Verwijderen = Remove/uninstall

Annuleren= Cancel

Cheers.

Thanks blacksea. The program doesn't work, or at least I don't think it does , but thank you for translating.

Hi Melvin

I have used first the English version of MSE and then now the Danish version.

I think I have mentioned before that I use XP sp3 and I have had no problems whatsoever.

I like the program because it is unobtrusive and does a fine job.

It is fairly light on resources too.

When going from English to Danish version I just used the default uninstall in the control panel for the English version before installing the Danish version. Worked fine!!

It took some seaching to find the right version in Danish back when it was first released but now it is easy and offers itself up for download.

The version with the extra languages had about 3 MB more in the setup file and had another version number.

I have now had it on my machine for 4 months and have no complaints.

For those running the initial version (English ------) there was no reason to update.

The updates would have come automatically through Windows/Microsoft Update, or through the program itself when ready or needed.

Cheers

solbjerg

Wondering if MSE issues are persistent with XP users only? Flawless on my Vista Home Premium and my friend's 7 Professional. Only thing is... I did have to do a clean install on the upgrade.

-Mel

Hi solbjerg!!

Hi Melvin

I have used first the English version of MSE and then now the Danish version.

I think I have mentioned before that I use XP sp3 and I have had no problems whatsoever.

I like the program because it is unobtrusive and does a fine job.

It is fairly light on resources too.

When going from English to Danish version I just used the default uninstall in the control panel for the English version before installing the Danish version. Worked fine!!

It took some seaching to find the right version in Danish back when it was first released but now it is easy and offers itself up for download.

The version with the extra languages had about 3 MB more in the setup file and had another version number.

I have now had it on my machine for 4 months and have no complaints.

For those running the initial version (English ------) there was no reason to update.

The updates would have come automatically through Windows/Microsoft Update, or through the program itself when ready or needed.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend. Lets you and I renew an old friendship. I hope you have read my posts about all that has happened with me and MSE. I was running MSE on my PC ,and it was doing great, no problems. Someone on the forum mentioned that there was an upgrade, so I tried to install the update. The big gun on MSE; Steve Boots, said an over the top would work. He was wrong and you were right about a clean install. All hell broke lose and I was never able to install MSE . I tried every thing I knew how to do.I finally used Macrium to restore my PC to an earlier time. First I tried Windows restore to an earlier time. That didn't work. Every thing worked just fine and I decided to take your advice and wait for Microsoft to do the update. Just a few days ago, my HP printer started acting up and I decided to reinstall it. I was in the process when I was interrupted by the TV repairman. After he left, I could not find my HP software CD, so I decided to restore an image when my printer was working right. I had 5 restore images on my USB. I tried each one of them, and each time the restore went smoothly, except for MSE, which tried to upgrade on it's own. The first time I was thinking , great MSE is upgrading on it's own. Wrong, each time it failed to upgrade on it's own and suggested a new install. This went just like it did when I tried to upgrade MSE before. I finally gave up and installed Avira. I have to have an AV on my PC. I spent the entire day emailing Steve Boots about MSE, and got no results. He had more excuses then you can believe, and blamed every app. on my PC. I'm not the smartest cat on the block, but MSE has a problem; fredries had the same problem that I did. If you have a suggestion, I 'm all ears. For right now I'm staying with Avira. Why does MSE have 3 different programs ??? No other AV has that. Avira doesn't care what OS I'm using. The last suggestion from Mr. Boots was that my registry was corrupted from all the uninstalls and restorations; I don't think so. I don't know why I had so much trouble, and will listen to any suggestions. http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=40207&postcount=31

hi garybear

As to why MSE has 3 install files I think the reason lies in the wish to keep the install files as small as possible.

I mean that if you do not need or have any reason to use the 64 bit version, why then install that part for example?

If you should want to try MSE again, you have to be sure that you have uninstalled it, and that you don't install it or part of it again when using your Macrium Reflect images.

Futhermore you should uninstall other anti-virus programs you may have installed before trying to install MSE.

This has worked fine for me, and I have no problem with it - I can only talk from my experience with it in in XP sp3 OS setup on my computer.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. did the tv repairman swipe your HP cd or have you later found it? :-)

Once I missed my carving knife - couldn't find it for a month, but eventually found it behind some food packet in my freezer - how it got there is a mystery to me. :-)

Hi friend. Lets you and I renew an old friendship. I hope you have read my posts about all that has happened with me and MSE. I was running MSE on my PC ,and it was doing great, no problems. Someone on the forum mentioned that there was an upgrade, so I tried to install the update. The big gun on MSE; Steve Boots, said an over the top would work. He was wrong and you were right about a clean install. All hell broke lose and I was never able to install MSE . I tried every thing I knew how to do.I finally used Macrium to restore my PC to an earlier time. First I tried Windows restore to an earlier time. That didn't work. Every thing worked just fine and I decided to take your advice and wait for Microsoft to do the update. Just a few days ago, my HP printer started acting up and I decided to reinstall it. I was in the process when I was interrupted by the TV repairman. After he left, I could not find my HP software CD, so I decided to restore an image when my printer was working right. I had 5 restore images on my USB. I tried each one of them, and each time the restore went smoothly, except for MSE, which tried to upgrade on it's own. The first time I was thinking , great MSE is upgrading on it's own. Wrong, each time it failed to upgrade on it's own and suggested a new install. This went just like it did when I tried to upgrade MSE before. I finally gave up and installed Avira. I have to have an AV on my PC. I spent the entire day emailing Steve Boots about MSE, and got no results. He had more excuses then you can believe, and blamed every app. on my PC. I'm not the smartest cat on the block, but MSE has a problem; fredries had the same problem that I did. If you have a suggestion, I 'm all ears. For right now I'm staying with Avira. Why does MSE have 3 different programs ??? No other AV has that. Avira doesn't care what OS I'm using. The last suggestion from Mr. Boots was that my registry was corrupted from all the uninstalls and restorations; I don't think so. I don't know why I had so much trouble, and will listen to any suggestions. http://forums.iobit.com/showpost.php?p=40207&postcount=31

Hi friend!!

p.s. did the tv repairman swipe your HP cd or have you later found it?

Once I missed my carving knife - couldn't find it for a month, but eventually found it behind some food packet in my freezer - how it got there is a mystery to me.

Hi friend!! I found another copy of the HP disk and every thing is working satisfactory. The TV repairman may have picked it up by mistake or it might be behind the freezer. I think MSE has a way to go before I try it again. What your saying makes since, but there needs to be a better way to uninstall MSE. I'm usually pretty good at clean uninstalls, but couldn't get rid of MSE. I spent a whole day emailing Steve Boots(MVP) for Microsoft. That was a wasted day:roll: I have visited MSE site and there biggest problem is uninstalling and installing,and they have few answers and none worked for me. Steve is a real nice guy ,but we have some people on this forum that have more knowledge, and you are one of them. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Lets not let that happen again. Willie is my neighbor and a good friend, and I felt like I needed to stick up for him. WE are very different people. Thanks for your understanding and your post my friend.===garybear

Hi garybear

If you decide to try MSE again there are some things you will have to do before that.

First be absolutely sure that you have uninstalled all traces of its previous install on your computer.

When that is accomplished make an image in Macrium Reflect that you name image without MSE traces.

Then uninstall your other anti-virus program - make an image of that in MR and give it an appropriate name i.e. image without AV.

When this is accomplished you can install MSE (it ought to work flawlessly!)

Then when you have satisfied yourself that it works OK you should make yet another image with MR and call it image with MSE.

I think it is a good idea to name ones images, so that one knows what one is restoring if one uses one of the images.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. did the tv repairman swipe your HP cd or have you later found it?

Once I missed my carving knife - couldn't find it for a month, but eventually found it behind some food packet in my freezer - how it got there is a mystery to me.

Hi friend!! I found another copy of the HP disk and every thing is working satisfactory. The TV repairman may have picked it up by mistake or it might be behind the freezer. I think MSE has a way to go before I try it again. What your saying makes since, but there needs to be a better way to uninstall MSE. I'm usually pretty good at clean uninstalls, but couldn't get rid of MSE. I spent a whole day emailing Steve Boots(MVP) for Microsoft. That was a wasted day:roll: I have visited MSE site and there biggest problem is uninstalling and installing,and they have few answers and none worked for me. Steve is a real nice guy ,but we have some people on this forum that have more knowledge, and you are one of them. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Lets not let that happen again. Willie is my neighbor and a good friend, and I felt like I needed to stick up for him. WE are very different people. Thanks for your understanding and your post my friend.===garybear

Hi solbjerg!!

Hi garybear

If you decide to try MSE again there are some things you will have to do before that.

First be absolutely sure that you have uninstalled all traces of its previous install on your computer.

When that is accomplished make an image in Macrium Reflect that you name image without MSE traces.

Then uninstall your other anti-virus program - make an image of that in MR and give it an appropriate name i.e. image without AV.

When this is accomplished you can install MSE (it ought to work flawlessly!)

Then when you have satisfied yourself that it works OK you should make yet another image with MR and call it image with MSE.

I think it is a good idea to name ones images, so that one knows what one is restoring if one uses one of the images.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend!! MSE was working, until I restored an image of my OS. I tried 5 images and they all tried to upgrade on their own and failed. I guess I will have to get the upgrade installed first. I'll wait till MSE gets the bugs out. I Thought I had MSE uninstalled , but when I tried to install a fresh copy, it said MSE was already installed on my PC. It's a long story my friend, and I've already been though that. Here's a screen shot of Microsoft's removal tool. See it you see MSE any where!! PS Have a look here. I tried all this BS!!! http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/c86fd37f-52a4-46b1-8989-41a72eec2361

Hi garybear

Yes, but what does is find if you seach for Microsoft Security Essentials in the registry database. Or even if you use start/search on your computer with the option of no files hidden.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. the only "bug" I have seen so far is that the MSE icon by the clock sometimes is very slow in appearing (a restart usually sets this right!).

Hi friend!! MSE was working, until I restored an image of my OS. I tried 5 images and they all tried to upgrade on their own and failed. I guess I will have to get the upgrade installed first. I'll wait till MSE gets the bugs out. I Thought I had MSE uninstalled , but when I tried to install a fresh copy, it said MSE was already installed on my PC. It's a long story my friend, and I've already been though that. Here's a screen shot of Microsoft's removal tool. See it you see MSE any where!!

Hi friend!!!

Hi garybear

Yes, but what does is find if you seach for Microsoft Security Essentials in the registry database. Or even if you use start/search on your computer with the option of no files hidden.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. the only "bug" I have seen so far is that the MSE icon by the clock sometimes is very slow in appearing (a restart usually sets this right!).

Hi friend!! You find Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC and I'll buy you all the beer in Texas !!!

Hi garybear

In that case you should be able to install MSE after you have uninstalled your current anti-virus program.

If you want to try!!!

But be aware that if you use Macrium Reflect after that, you may get a restore that doesn't have MSE in it if you haven't made a new backup/image after the install of MSE.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend!! You find Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC and I'll buy you all the beer in Texas !!!

Hi solbjerg!!

Hi garybear

In that case you should be able to install MSE after you have uninstalled your current anti-virus program.

If you want to try!!!

But be aware that if you use Macrium Reflect after that, you may get a restore that doesn't have MSE in it if you haven't made a new backup/image after the install of MSE.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend!! I think I'll stay with what I got for now, which is Avira and IObit 360. I have visited MSE forum and there seems to be a lot of people having problems with the program. I'm pretty sure that I removed all of MSE from my PC. I have learned a lot about clean installs from members on our forum, and if there is any thing left of MSE on my PC, it's well hidden and will take some kind of program that I don't know about to find it. I really think that Microsoft developed the program for Windows 7 and they don't care about XP3. I think I'm well protected with what I have, and I'm going to stay with what I have for now. Thanks for your help friend!!

Hi garybear

If everything is working to your satisfaction you should not change a thing :-)

About the lot having trouble - one has in all fairness to take into account the several millions that have downloaded the program.

As I mentioned before I run XP sp3 and I have not experienced problems even though I updated to the Danish version as soon as that was available. I really doubt that I am the only one :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi friend!! I think I'll stay with what I got for now, which is Avira and IObit 360. I have visited MSE forum and there seems to be a lot of people having problems with the program. I'm pretty sure that I removed all of MSE from my PC. I have learned a lot about clean installs from members on our forum, and if there is any thing left of MSE on my PC, it's well hidden and will take some kind of program that I don't know about to find it. I really think that Microsoft developed the program for Windows 7 and they don't care about XP3. I think I'm well protected with what I have, and I'm going to stay with what I have for now. Thanks for your help friend!!

Archived