IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Totally lost

bobbyeocean

I just went to the pro version, and I am terrified to push the registery fix button. I have 1018 problems and I don't know what half of them are for. Some I know are all right to get rid of, but the vast majority-I haven't a clue.I have "jumped to entry" and I still dont get it. Help me please.

Hi !!!!!

Hi. Don't mean to but in, but I would like this question answered. ASC3 says it creates a restore back up, when you repair the registry. So why can't I just let ASc3 repair my registry. If I find out later I have a problem, just undue the repair in the restore center. I admit it would scare me also, but can we trust ASC3 to do what it says or not ??? I can tell you one thing for sure. You can't trust windows restore to an earlier time, and I really doubt if we can trust ASC3 either. It sounds real good ,but I'm thinking it gives people a false since of security. If you want a sure thing get yourself a good backup program, like Macrium Reflect, that backs up your entire OS. Then you can do any thing you want with out fear. Windows restore to an earlier time is not all that everyone thinks it is. You will get a big surprise if you think it will restore every thing like it was. Believe me it won't. I've been there my friends!!! I would like to hear from other members, what they think about this.===garybear

Hi gary

As described in Usage of IObit Products there are two kinds of restore functions in ASC.

One is the Restore Center that keeps a record of the changes made by the program, so if you after your latest scan discover that something isn't right, you can try to utilize this function in the Restore Center by undoing the latest restore file(s) in the Restore center.

The other Restore function provides an option to create a Windows System Restore point by clicking that option in the program.

If for any reason either of these doesn't function as they should, please leave a description about it in the forum and report it to IObit.

Given all that I also think that an "image" created by Macrium or a similar program is a very good safe-guard, a restore cd or memory-stick is also an option if you want to keep your valuable information intact.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi. Don't mean to but in, but I would like this question answered. ASC3 says it creates a restore back up, when you repair the registry. So why can't I just let ASc3 repair my registry. If I find out later I have a problem, just undue the repair in the restore center. I admit it would scare me also, but can we trust ASC3 to do what it says or not ??? I can tell you one thing for sure. You can't trust windows restore to an earlier time, and I really doubt if we can trust ASC3 either. It sounds real good ,but I'm thinking it gives people a false since of security. If you want a sure thing get yourself a good backup program, like Macrium Reflect, that backs up your entire OS. Then you can do any thing you want with out fear. Windows restore to an earlier time is not all that everyone thinks it is. You will get a big surprise if you think it will restore every thing like it was. Believe me it won't. I've been there my friends!!! I would like to hear from other members, what they think about this.===garybear

Hi bobbyeocean!

So you had been using ASC free and upgraded? Or did you flat out go for the pro without "test-driving" the free?

If you have been using the free and upgraded to the pro, I can certainly see the additional problems found in the deep registry scan that pro brings... especially in a machine that may be a few years old. I have seen it when I installed ASC on a friends machine, and he immediately wanted to go pro... I think he had 1,200 additional!

As long as you have good restore points in ASC and on your Operating System, I think you will be ok.

My friend was amazed... I hope you will be too!:grin:

-Mel

Took me 2 days to push the button,

but finally did. So far so good. Computer not fried, seems to be going good!!:-D

After getting rid of all that junk, it has to be faster! I know there was alot of trash on here, but I just didn't know the difference between "trash" and what I need to keep. Thank you all for your help!8)

Hi mighty warriors of knowledge!!!

I know I'm missing some thing, but I don't understand all of this. I'm attaching screen shots to explain why I think ASC3 doesn't put back every thing it repairs after a re-due in the restore center. I have to use two different posts to get all my screen shots in. The series includes screen shots of two scans that were performed just minutes apart, and there is a huge difference in the entries found. If ASC3 restores all repaired entries they should match and they don't. I know I'm missing some thing about this, but I need to know, and I'm sure someone will have a good answer.===garybear PS please read both posts as one. I had to do this as only 5 at a time are allowed . Some one has to be brave enough to ask these dumb questions on the forum. When your dumb like myself, it doesn't bother me to ask them.:oops: PSS please see next post for continuation of this dumb question. Thanks!!!

Hi gary

What is the purpose of this "test"??????

You just told the program that the changes made in the first "test" (168 were detrimental and should be restored - and you then think that the program should find those items again and remove them in the second "test" where it "only" found 36 (opening an application can easily create an entry in the registry - and the previous removal of enties can have made some other entries obsolete) and where you were expecting above 168?? This second "test" performed very shortly after the first one without going out of the program presumably!!

I think you should stop this kind of "testing" - It defeats the purpose of cleaning the registry - and the restore center function should only be used when it is necessary and something harmful has happened to the computer on account of cleaning the registry.

That's my opinion anyway!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi. Here are the other screen shots that go with the post above.==garybear

Hi solbjerg!!

Hi gary

What is the purpose of this "test"??????

You just told the program that the changes made in the first "test" (168 were detrimental and should be restored - and you then think that the program should find those items again and remove them in the second "test" where it "only" found 36 (opening an application can easily create an entry in the registry - and the previous removal of enties can have made some other entries obsolete) and where you were expecting above 168?? This second "test" performed very shortly after the first one without going out of the program presumably!!

I think you should stop this kind of "testing" - It defeats the purpose of cleaning the registry - and the restore center function should only be used when it is necessary and something harmful has happened to the computer on account of cleaning the registry.

That's my opinion anyway!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi my friend solbjerg. I guess we can agree to disagree on this. My reason for testing in this way is to assure myself that ASC3 is going to restore the entries back that it repaired , and if the entries that need to be repaired are restored and then scanned for again, I think ASC3 should find the same entries and put them back in the restore center again after I tell it to repair those entries. You are in-tiled to your opinion my friend and it is well respected by me. If I were to have or think this caused me a problem and I restored the back up in the restore center, how would I know it put back a entry that may or may not have caused my problem. I will tell you this my very good friend. I have used the windows restore to an earlier time immediately after discovering I deleted or changed some thing I shouldn't have and windows restore sucks and does not restore the registry back like it was. You can take that to the bank and anyone on the forum thay has used that procedure and didn't get things back the way things were before will tell you the same thing. I don't wish to start an argument with my friends. Those days are gone for me. I'm only trying to warn members that these restore points that these programs have, aren't all they claim to be and cause members to act carelessly thinking, what the hell, I just use the restore feature and all is Rosie again. It don't work that way my friend, and gives people a false since of security. You want security, get a program that creates a back up image of your OS and do any thing you want and have no worries. I'm only stating my opinion my friend and do not wish to argue about this with you. There is no one on this forum that has restored their OS more than me. I'm a risk taker and I challenge the odds all the time. Not much scares me. Thank you for your post my friend, and your opinion.===garybear PS This is my opinion and my warning to all forum members. Do not think you can just turn ASC3 loose on your PC; thinking you can use the restore center to put every thing back like it was before. If you have this attitude you will get a rude awakening my friends, and you can take that to to the back.===garybear

Hi gary

Did you take a copy of your registry before running the scan-repair?

You would have to do that in order to check what is happening during a restore and a subsequent running of the the scan-repair again after your first repair and the restoration of that repair.

This is quite an amount of work, so I haven't done that myself, - I would have had to check all entries in the registry before and after my actions several times. Otherwise I would not know if I was giving a true account of what is happening.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi my friend solbjerg. I guess we can agree to disagree on this. My reason for testing in this way is to assure myself that ASC3 is going to restore the entries back that it repaired , and if the entries that need to be repaired are restored and then scanned for again, I think ASC3 should find the same entries and put them back in the restore center again after I tell it to repair those entries. You are in-tiled to your opinion my friend and it is well respected by me. If I were to have or think this caused me a problem and I restored the back up in the restore center, how would I know it put back a entry that may or may not have caused my problem. I will tell you this my very good friend. I have used the windows restore to an earlier time immediately after discovering I deleted or changed some thing I shouldn't have and windows restore sucks and does not restore the registry back like it was. You can take that to the bank and anyone on the forum thay has used that procedure and didn't get things back the way things were before will tell you the same thing. I don't wish to start an argument with my friends. Those days are gone for me. I'm only trying to warn members that these restore points that these programs have, aren't all they claim to be and cause members to act carelessly thinking, what the hell, I just use the restore feature and all is Rosie again. It don't work that way my friend, and gives people a false since of security. You want security, get a program that creates a back up image of your OS and do any thing you want and have no worries. I'm only stating my opinion my friend and do not wish to argue about this with you. There is no one on this forum that has restored their OS more than me. I'm a risk taker and I challenge the odds all the time. Not much scares me. Thank you for your post my friend, and your opinion.===garybear PS This is my opinion and my warning to all forum members. Do not think you can just turn ASC3 loose on your PC; thinking you can use the restore center to put every thing back like it was before. If you have this attitude you will get a rude awakening my friends, and you can take that to to the back.===garybear

unless you restore an image it will be impossible to get an exact match on registry entries even then there may be some differences.

the reason being registries entries are made and deleted all the time during various processes on the pc

but gary's test does show a large difference, I have never used the restore process with iobit never had too its been that good. in the passed i have used restore options in registry cleaners after errors and never found one to fix the errors it caused.

my first option is windows system restore which providing you disable security software works 99% of the time.

Hi sunny

Yes you would have to know or be able to figure out what all insertions in the registry referred to - and if you are able to do that - I think you should consider a career change.

Cheers

solbjerg

unless you restore an image it will be impossible to get an exact match on registry entries even then there may be some differences.

the reason being registries entries are made and deleted all the time during various processes on the pc

but gary's test does show a large difference, I have never used the restore process with iobit never had too its been that good. in the passed i have used restore options in registry cleaners after errors and never found one to fix the errors it caused.

my first option is windows system restore which providing you disable security software works 99% of the time.

Hi gary

Did you before restoring go into that restore point and look at what had been done?

Many of the removed entries would have related to deleted privacy items and all those MRU (most recently used) entries in the registry that referred to those items would be obsolete and of no use to anyone.

I mean if you want to test a function you should do it properly.

I think that your main concern is to advocate the use of Macrium Reflect which is commendable even though there are other alternatives too.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. good morning to you too sunny :-) good afternoon actually by now :-)

Hi gary

Did you before restoring go into that restore point and look at what had been done?

Many of the removed entries would have related to deleted privacy items and all those MRU (most recently used) entries in the registry that referred to those items would be obsolete and of no use to anyone.

I mean if you want to test a function you should do it properly.

I think that your main concern is to advocate the use of Macrium Reflect which is commendable even though there are other alternatives too.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. good morning to you too sunny :-) good afternoon actually by now :-)

Hi my friend. I do not claim to be an expert on the registry or ASC3. I love ASC3 and think it's one of the best PC cleaners out there. All I'm trying to say is this. People that use ASC3 need to know that a little bit of caution needs to be taken before pulling the trigger. I think ASC3 is a pretty aggressive registry cleaner and 95% of the people will be just fine by pulling the trigger. The other 5% will have problems and restoring with Windows or the ASC3 feature will not fix their problems.If I removed 168 problems and then restored those; and then a new scan only found 38, ASC3 didn't find 130 problems of the restored problems that it found before. I do not have an answer, nor am I claiming any thing. That is a lot of difference. I know what MRU's are and I kinow they are safe to repair. I also know that an entry will be made in the registry when you sneeze. I believe that the registry will eventual become cluttered and slow your PC down and ASC3 will help you keep your registry clean and your PC performing at the top. I have found only one program that will restore your PC back exactly like it was. That's all I'm saying. There are problems that ASC3 finds in my registry, that I do not have a clue what they are. I just pull the trigger and do not worry, because I know I can put my PC back just like it was before I pulled that trigger. I wish everyone had that kind of security and I'll get on my stump and preach to people to get a good backup program until I'm no longer physically or mentally capable to do so. If you do not have an image of your C drive backed up, you are not very far from a disaster my friend. So pull the trigger my friends, but get your OS backed up with a good program before you pull the trigger.===garybear

Hi!!!!

Hi !!! I just pulled the trigger. I know what MRU's are. I know what the deep scan's are. I do not have a clue what the N/A's are. I assume they are safe to remove. I have my OS backed up and do not worry ,so I pull the trigger!!!==garybear PS I'm only posting this because I want our members to feel a little more informed about registry problems found with ASC3.===garybear

Hi gary

None of us are experts.

For example we do not know if a restoration of the "repair" you affected will make the program ignore those entries the next time you try.

If you go into the restore point that restored the 168 items - then copy those and then go into the second restore point and copy those items, then compare them to the first that found 168 to the restore point that found 36 items.

After that see if you can find any of the items in the registry that was restored by your retoration. This will tell us if they were placed in a sort of ignore list when you performed the restoration.

Actually I am faily sure that ASC registry scan is not aggressive.

Doesn't look that way when I look the items over in my restore points.

They will of course have been very careful not to touch vital settings in the registry.

I have never had the need to use those restore points in the 3 years I have used the program.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi my friend. I do not claim to be an expert on the registry or ASC3. I love ASC3 and think it's one of the best PC cleaners out there. All I'm trying to say is this. People that use ASC3 need to know that a little bit of caution needs to be taken before pulling the trigger. I think ASC3 is a pretty aggressive registry cleaner and 95% of the people will be just fine by pulling the trigger. The other 5% will have problems and restoring with Windows or the ASC3 feature will not fix their problems.If I removed 168 problems and then restored those; and then a new scan only found 38, ASC3 didn't find 130 problems of the restored problems that it found before. I do not have an answer, nor am I claiming any thing. That is a lot of difference. I know what MRU's are and I kinow they are safe to repair. I also know that an entry will be made in the registry when you sneeze. I believe that the registry will eventual become cluttered and slow your PC down and ASC3 will help you keep your registry clean and your PC performing at the top. I have found only one program that will restore your PC back exactly like it was. That's all I'm saying. There are problems that ASC3 finds in my registry, that I do not have a clue what they are. I just pull the trigger and do not worry, because I know I can put my PC back just like it was before I pulled that trigger. I wish everyone had that kind of security and I'll get on my stump and preach to people to get a good backup program until I'm no longer physically or mentally capable to do so. If you do not have an image of your C drive backed up, you are not very far from a disaster my friend. So pull the trigger my friends, but get your OS backed up with a good program before you pull the trigger.===garybear

Hi. I only wish to help our members and I'm not bad mouthing or criticizing ASC3 in any way. The registry is a scary place for many, And should be respected and carefully cleaned. I have never had to reinstall any repairs made by ASC3 since I have been using the program either. When you first use the program and you see ASC3 has found 1200 hundred problems, you are probably a little concerned and a little leery of pulling the trigger. I don't have the answer. Just cross your fingers and pull the trigger, I guess, because there is no way to check everyone of those problems. I wish there was a way to know the safe ones from the ones not as safe. I assume the red ones are ones to be more concerned with. I guess I have about worn this subject out, but I only want to help our members on the forum. I'm not bad mouthing IObit. I love IObit and want it to be the best program in the world.===garybear

Hi gary

Now it sounds like you are talking about security analyzis.

And there it is recommended that you have the result checked before hitting the repair button.

But to get back to the registry repair - try having a look at what your Security Center Restore Points contains.

"I'm not bad mouthing or criticizing ASC3 in any way"

Well you had me fooled. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi. I only wish to help our members and I'm not bad mouthing or criticizing ASC3 in any way. The registry is a scary place for many, And should be respected and carefully cleaned. I have never had to reinstall any repairs made by ASC3 since I have been using the program either. When you first use the program and you see ASC3 has found 1200 hundred problems, you are probably a little concerned and a little leery of pulling the trigger. I don't have the answer. Just cross your fingers and pull the trigger, I guess, because there is no way to check everyone of those problems. I wish there was a way to know the safe ones from the ones not as safe. I assume the red ones are ones to be more concerned with. I guess I have about worn this subject out, but I only want to help our members on the forum. I'm not bad mouthing IObit. I love IObit and want it to be the best program in the world.===garybear

Hi!!!!

Hi !! This is one reason my friend jjj left the forum. When he tried to help members , he was accused of things that he never intended. I'm only stating my opinion and trying to help. I will criticize IObit however, if I think it will help them become a better company. I have in the past and I will in the future, but not this time my friend. { "I'm not bad mouthing or criticizing ASC3 in any way"

Well you had me fooled.

Cheers

solbjerg}

Hi

HI !!! I have asked this question before and really never was satisfied with the answers. I will ask again, hoping I'm not accused of criticizing IObit again.Nearly every time I scan the registry I get over a hundred of these, and I just repair them and it doesn't cause any problems, that I know of. They could be scary to a new member using ASC3 the first time, or am I the only one that gets these. Thanks!!!garybear PS I'm only trying to help and inform our members about ASC3!!!

Archived