IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

ASC & Putty - Session Details Removed

Hello all,

I have a small issue with ASC and the program Putty in that after running ASC it removed my Authenication Key settings for all my putty sessions after running Registry Fix. I was able to add these settings to the ignore list so that future runs do not impact my config however any new sessions will need to be added as well.

Ideally there can be a way to protect the following registry key entries from being touched:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\Sessions\[Name of Session]\PublicKeyFile

Is there a reason why Registy Fix removes these settings?

These seem only affected during a 'Deep Scan'.

Hi TheSnowedOne,

After being sure that this registry entry is in your registry,

Run ASC=>click Scan=> click xxproblems found on the right of Registry Fix.

Find the concerned registry entry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\Sessions)

Right click on it or/and others you want to put to Ignore List and click Ignore on the right click menu.

It is explained in detail in USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread in Usage of IObit Products sub section. Please read.

Cheers.

Hi TheSnowedOne,

After being sure that this registry entry is in your registry,

Run ASC=>click Scan=> click xxproblems found on the right of Registry Fix.

Find the concerned registry entry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SimonTatham\PuTTY\Sessi ons)

Right click on it or/and others you want to put to Ignore List and click Ignore on the right click menu.

It is explained in detail in USAGE of IOBIT PRODUCTS thread in Usage of IObit Products sub section. Please read.

Thank you enoskype - I had worked that part out and had updated my original post obviously whilst you were typing yours.

However the query remains as in why these entries are removed in a Registry Fix Deep Scan? These seems an odd place to remove an issue which I assume is a security related one (although removing putty authentication details for public key authentication seems a touch overkill).

Obviously if I was not actively using PuTTY and someone had installed a client on the machine for 'nefarious' (enabling an encrypted tunnel into the internel network from a C&C for example) purposes then this might be a valid issue; however obviously this is not the case for everyone and PuTTY is normally used by most Unix Admin/Users as a good terminal program.

Perhaps this can be added elsewhere or a list of Programs to ignore maintained for Security/Registry Fixes might be suitable. There is one already available under the Privacy Sweep Options but this is not really a privacy issue.

Archived