IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Actually I'm a good Bear!!

garybear

My friend brought her laptop out to my house. It would hardly run, but it runs like a jack rabbit now. I would like to share with our members what we did. She bought the PC on sale ,as it was a demonstrator. It had slowed down to a crawl. We first made a back up image of her OS (C drive) with Macrium Reflect. We put the back up on my seagate external USB. Then we used a flash drive to run IObit 360, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware.. I was amazed that more viruses weren't found(5 or 6). Next we ran Ccleaner, and it found a bunch. Also used Cclearner registry and it found a lot also. Next we ran RegSeeker.(1600 intries). Next we used ASC3 and it found some more. Next we installed and run Revo uninstaller. I lost count of the programs that we uninstalled with Revo. Once I showed my friend how Revo works, I turned her loose, and let her decide what to uninstall. She got rid of a ton of programs. We nether one knew what some of them were. We helped her put I386 files on her C drive, and then we did a SFC /scannow. Then we did a dskchk. Next we ran RegSeeker and ASC3 again, and found a lot more stuff left from removing all those programs. She said her PC hadn't run that fast in a long time. It was pretty fast. Actually it was real fast and she was pleased. She said she would buy an external USB the next day and back up her C drive with Macrium. I'm keeping her image on my USB until she gets every thing like she wants it and then I'll delete her image. As you can see, I'm not real good at typing all this. I'm hoping if anyone likes this post, they will make it more presentable for me, and even add their 2 cents. I try hard, but I'm limited in what I know and flunked typing 101:-D PS My good friend and neighbor Wild Willie was a big help and actually did most of the work. I should have had him make this thread, because he pased typing 101:-D, maybe he will fix it.

Well done

Well done garybear :smile:

Your friend must have been feeling so happy, it's like you gave her a new computer as a present but better because she also had a hand in cleaning and tuning it and learnt some new tricks :grin:

Many months ago a guy with an Acer NetBook like mine asked if I was happy with it, I said yes, very happy.

He told me his was still under warranty and he was thinking of sending it back because it was so slow and kept needing to be restarted.

I installed Revo and had a look at the programs, there were so many and I counted 5 DVD burner programs plus a lot of other stuff like file management, partition management etc.

"What is all this for ?" I asked, he replied that he had discovered Give Away Of The Day and could not resist a bargain, even if he didn't need it :roll:

Task Manager processes looked like a Tom Clancy novel so I installed Advanced System Care and had a look at the Startup Manager, sure enough, everything was loading at startup.

Like you I showed him how to use Revo and he uninstalled most of the software.

We did a complete cleanup and he could not believe the difference, he could now use Skype again.

There was no major malware/virus on his NetBook so this was a good reminder that just a build up of un-necessary stuff can eventually drag down the computer.

Lean and clean, that's my goal :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

My friend brought her laptop out to my house. It would hardly run, but it runs like a jack rabbit now. I would like to share with our members what we did. She bought the PC on sale ,as it was a demonstrator. It had slowed down to a crawl. We first made a back up image of her OS (C drive) with Macrium Reflect. We put the back up on my seagate external USB. Then we used a flash drive to run IObit 360, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware.. I was amazed that more viruses weren't found(5 or 6). Next we ran Ccleaner, and it found a bunch. Also used Cclearner registry and it found a lot also. Next we ran RegSeeker.(1600 intries). Next we used ASC3 and it found some more. Next we installed and run Revo uninstaller. I lost count of the programs that we uninstalled with Revo. Once I showed my friend how Revo works, I turned her loose, and let her decide what to uninstall. She got rid of a ton of programs. We nether one knew what some of them were. We helped her put I386 files on her C drive, and then we did a SFC /scannow. Then we did a dskchk. Next we ran RegSeeker and ASC3 again, and found a lot more stuff left from removing all those programs. She said her PC hadn't run that fast in a long time. It was pretty fast. Actually it was real fast and she was pleased. She said she would buy an external USB the next day and back up her C drive with Macrium. I'm keeping her image on my USB until she gets every thing like she wants it and then I'll delete her image. As you can see, I'm not real good at typing all this. I'm hoping if anyone likes this post, they will make it more presentable for me, and even add their 2 cents. I try hard, but I'm limited in what I know and flunked typing 101:-D PS My good friend and neighbor Wild Willie was a big help and actually did most of the work. I should have had him make this thread, because he pased typing 101:-D, maybe he will fix it.

very nice to read well done Gary.and its a nice feeling when helping someone..

itsmejjj

Aye GB!!

Knowledge of all things is relevant!!

Through the time you have spent here and in the other places you visit... you have learned much!!

(As have I:mrgreen:)

The most wonderful gift, (and it seems magical), is when you share your knowledge with another on such a personal level!!!

I had a big lesson in humility today.

My friend/neighbor contracted us to do a job that first involved pressure cleaning two cabins, (with a low pressure electric, 1400 psi cleaner, that the owner was to provide as we did not want to blow the chinking from between the logs). We showed up, I hooked all the power up(plugged in the cord)... and discovered the pressure washer did not work.

We went and purchased a new one. Plugged it in... it ran for two minutes... then started smoking... then stopped. We thought it defective...

We drove 30 mins once again and exchanged it for a new one.

We drove back, plugged it in and it too almost caught on fire in a few minutes.

We drove once again to return it... Me claiming the whole lot must be bad...!

Purchased a different brand(of course).

Because it was so late in the day, the last time we had left the job... we had put away all the tools and cords. (not knowing if we would return). We did, and proceeded to set up again.

When I went to plug the extension cord in (150 feet long), I noticed that the words "Pump" and "240" were crudely written on the receptacle box (magic marker, Sharpie ink). It was a 240 volt line that lead directly to the well! We had been burning 120 volt machines up by plugging them into 240 volts!!

I immediately felt stupid... ignorant... and embarrassed!!!:oops:

By the electrical code here, my extension cord should not have been able to plug into a 240 volt outlet. (its like putting a square peg into a round hole).

But I saw the familiar outlet on the porch and just plugged the cord in! I saw the scrawl on the box at the time (sloppily written, poorly lit, behind a shelf) and didn't bother to slow down and read it.

[[whoever wired the pump had installed the wrong receptacle on the line... that would accept a 120V plug... but had scrawled a warning that I didn't slow down enough to read]]

Not only that but my friend asked after the first machine burned up... "That's not plugged up to a 240 is it???" I said no! The plug fit, it can't be 240!!

I share this now, with all here, as a pledge to make sure I'm not trusting the "electricians" before me to install the right plug. I must double check!!! Carry a voltmeter and test if necessary! What was 120 yesterday, may be 240 today!!!

Peace, Prosperity, and Longevity to all!!

-Mel

Hi sunny!!

on completion of that excellent work did you defrag the registry? as it will need a defrag with so many changes, i would also defrag the MFT for good measure too.

Hi sunny!! Good advice! I left that out of my post. I did tell my friend that she should defrag. She said she would do that when she got home. The coolest thing about all that was; she could hardly wait to try all these things on her kids PC's. It's a great felling to help someone and know they will pass it on, just like our members on the forum do every day. I want to thank everyone for all their kind words on this thread. I'll just do that on this post. Thanks all my friends for your kind words and all you do on the forum.==garybear PS I'm not sure how you defraf the MFT??

gary

use the free defrag program i post a few weeks ago called puran just use it for the MFT defrag

http://majorgeeks.com/Puran_Defrag_Free_Edition_d6360.html

for defrag of registry files i prefer the free WINASO registry optimser rather than iobit asc option in the utilities tuneup

http://www.winaso.com/

[note do not use its system optimiser function as that part is not as good as iobits and undoes some of the iobit changes]

Hi sunny!!

use the free defrag program i post a few weeks ago called puran just use it for the MFT defrag

http://majorgeeks.com/Puran_Defrag_Free_Edition_d6360.html

for defrag of registry files i prefer the free WINASO registry optimser rather than iobit asc option in the utilities tuneup

http://www.winaso.com/

[note do not use its system optimiser function as that part is not as good as iobits and undoes some of the iobit changes]

Hi sunny!! I have this defrag. What does it do??

Hi

Hi!! This is what Microsoft Security Essentials AV uses in RAM. Is any one else seeing this and does anyone think its high?? I know this is a little off the subject, but didn't want to start a new thread. I still have 62% free RAM. I guess that's good?

Peak Memory Usage

Hi garybear,

• Launch Task Manager

• Select View (in the Menu)

• Select Select Columns

• Tick Peak Memory Usage

This column will show you the figure for the most Memory usage which, in this case, would probably be when scanning.

It's a handy figure to know :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived