IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

New! - Beta testing of IObit SmartDefrag

Sorry, but this program needs more work.

I made the changes you suggested i.e. move the startup command from HKLM to HKCU, and disable "Load automatically" in ISD options. The program still crashes within 10 minutes of logon. There wasn't anyone else logged on either. I have sent several bug reports and hope that the development team will look into this problem. Thanks for your advice, but the problem is still not solved.

I also tried uninstalling , cleaning the registry and then a clean reinstall. No luck. It still crashed.

Sorry, but this program needs more work.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest walk-on

I have this program installed on two computers - one with XP-SP2 and the other with Vista Home Premium. The installation on XP works perfectly, however the program fails to startup for any account on Vista. I am able to launch the program manually with an administrator account and it works fine.

I would like to see this program be able to startup and autodefrag in any user account. I currently get the previously mentioned error when trying to run the program from a standard user account. Is it possible to get the program to startup with all users and autodefrag without errors on Vista?

I just want to add to enoskypes comment, that it is not so hard to understand that you have to have administrator rights in order to let the program change several of the settings in the computer, otherwise it would be a potential error generator.

Possibly it would be possible to let the program have the possibility to clean privacy in user accounts, but in several of the other settings it could probably create a mess if they we run differently on all user accounts and administrator accounts.

Cheers

I have this program installed on two computers - one with XP-SP2 and the other with Vista Home Premium. The installation on XP works perfectly, however the program fails to startup for any account on Vista. I am able to launch the program manually with an administrator account and it works fine.

I would like to see this program be able to startup and autodefrag in any user account. I currently get the previously mentioned error when trying to run the program from a standard user account. Is it possible to get the program to startup with all users and autodefrag without errors on Vista?

Guest walk-on
It will not run for non administrator account.

Please read the other posts in this thread.

I did read the other posts in the thread and that's how I was informed that it will not run for standard users.

I just want to add to enoskypes comment, that it is not so hard to understand that you have to have administrator rights in order to let the program change several of the settings in the computer, otherwise it would be a potential error generator.

Possibly it would be possible to let the program have the possibility to clean privacy in user accounts, but in several of the other settings it could probably create a mess if they we run differently on all user accounts and administrator accounts.

Cheers

It is clear to me that this program needs to run under an admin account. What is unclear to me is where the benefit lies in having a program that runs only on admin accounts when only standard users login to the computer. My setup includes an admin account (me) and several standard accounts (family members). If the defrag only runs when admin logs on then the defrag will rarely run on this computer because it is primarily used by standard users.

I know the workaround is to assign all users admin priveleges and be done with it. I have been using AWC and I liked it so I thought I'd try out the defrag as well. My intent was to try to help improve this product by mentioning problems that I witnessed and also to state that this program would be better if it could run all the time, not part time. My initial thought was that it would be nice if the defragger could run as a service using admin priveleges so it could run regardless of who is logged on or if nobody is logged on.

I've uninstalled SmartDefrag and I'll just use the built in defrag.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ok, I am sorry _ my comment were mostly for AWC - apparently I didn't see where I was!

Cheers

I did read the other posts in the thread and that's how I was informed that it will not run for standard users.

It is clear to me that this program needs to run under an admin account. What is unclear to me is where the benefit lies in having a program that runs only on admin accounts when only standard users login to the computer. My setup includes an admin account (me) and several standard accounts (family members). If the defrag only runs when admin logs on then the defrag will rarely run on this computer because it is primarily used by standard users.

I know the workaround is to assign all users admin priveleges and be done with it. I have been using AWC and I liked it so I thought I'd try out the defrag as well. My intent was to try to help improve this product by mentioning problems that I witnessed and also to state that this program would be better if it could run all the time, not part time. My initial thought was that it would be nice if the defragger could run as a service using admin priveleges so it could run regardless of who is logged on or if nobody is logged on.

I've uninstalled SmartDefrag and I'll just use the built in defrag.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hi walk-on,

I thought you were asking the below question for the existing version.

I did not get it as a suggestion for future releases, in which case, that should be answered by IObit.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Thanks.

Is it possible to get the program to startup with all users and autodefrag without errors on Vista?

Archived