IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Post your suggestion, bug report here

Tim Xue

Screwed Up My File Folders in Windows2000 Pro

Yesterday I installed Advanced System Care onto my computer running Windows 2000 Professional. I then rebooted my computer and was unable to access the internet and my file folder all looked like the one attached ... I have subsequently removed ASC and the file folders are still messed up - does anybody have any answers as to what ASC has over-written. Thanks for your help.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mpinkus

Did you run a full ASC repair without reading the manual?

And placing files you need in the Ignore list?

In ASC there was the possibility in the programs restore center to try to restore the changes done by your "Repair", depending upon what setting for the program you had chosen.

By now I don't know (after your uninstall) - as far as I remember Windows 2000 doesn't have the feature of Windows System Restore.

Do you have a backup of the entire computer stored anywhere else??

Cheers

solbjerg

Yesterday I installed Advanced System Care onto my computer running Windows 2000 Professional. I then rebooted my computer and was unable to access the internet and my file folder all looked like the one attached ... I have subsequently removed ASC and the file folders are still messed up - does anybody have any answers as to what ASC has over-written. Thanks for your help.

I read everything that was sent to me - I also did the repair and restore before I uninstalled the program ... as mentioned I was unable to access the internet until I uninstalled ... all I want to do now is figure out what was installed to mess up my file folders, and to go back and uninstall that too.

M

Hi mpinkus

You mean that you clicked on the User Manual link in the program and read through all the recommandations?

I suspect that you ran the System Optimize function in ASC without checking the "problems" and placing those you didn't want to optimize in the ignore list.

A list of changes would have been available if you hadn't uninstalled the program

How to find those I am not sure - I haven't any experience with Windows 2000 and none at all with your computer settings.

Please read the links in my signature.

Cheers

solbjerg

I read everything that was sent to me - I also did the repair and restore before I uninstalled the program ... as mentioned I was unable to access the internet until I uninstalled ... all I want to do now is figure out what was installed to mess up my file folders, and to go back and uninstall that too.

M

Hello again solbjerg

I went through the problem list and took out only the stuff in red (2) - the rest I kept in. What you seem to fail to grasp is that had I not uninstalled I would not be speaking to you now - I had no internet access. What I want to know is what happened to my file folders - that is the only thing not working properly.

M

Hi M

What I tried to say was that you probably allowed the function System Optimize to run a "repair" without placing any of the files (you wanted to keep) in the Ignore list.

The System Optimize focuses much on resource saving, and consequently alters some settings in the services and in the registry.

So it would have been real helpful if you had saved a list of the alterations before deleting the program.

The Security Analyze function is to be used by going to a hijack site to have the files checked for hijacked programs and functions.

I think I would check where my file folder are located in the registry and then check if the settings for them is default.

Perhaps the folder option in the control panel can yield some information too.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello again solbjerg

I went through the problem list and took out only the stuff in red (2) - the rest I kept in. What you seem to fail to grasp is that had I not uninstalled I would not be speaking to you now - I had no internet access. What I want to know is what happened to my file folders - that is the only thing not working properly.

M

Possible problems with Yahoo Messenger

Ever since I installed ASC paid version, I have been having problems with yahoo messenger and its authorized plug ins. I have lost profile information access for not only myself but all my contacts also.

I am wondering if my setting are such that it is keeping Yahoo messenger from working properly.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi afirkowski

Please read Usage of IObit Products (link in my signature)

and go through your settings with a fine tooth comb :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Ever since I installed ASC paid version, I have been having problems with yahoo messenger and its authorized plug ins. I have lost profile information access for not only myself but all my contacts also.

I am wondering if my setting are such that it is keeping Yahoo messenger from working properly.

Thanks

Andrew

ASC Broke my Link in IE8...Can no longer Send Link by Email...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just downloaded and ran the latest version of ASC.

Now the a link in IE8 is broken.

The link to send Link-by-Email no longer works.

How do I fix this and how do I prevent ASC from breaking it in the future ?

I have a History of ASC breaking links with my Outlook Email programs.

I need this function.

Thank you!

Foxfire 3.6 removed toolbar on install, CRAP!

Flawless performance until the toolbar. Love the radio and scan abilities. After install-upgrade to the new Firefox 3.6, the toolbar was taken out by the install. I'm going to reinstall the 360, but it would have been very nice to have a toolbar link at the 360 site for a patch type fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Secure File Deletion

I've just discovered that checking the box marked "Enable Secure File Deletion etc" under 'Junk Files Clean" makes no difference. The files are simply deleted, but can easily be recovered by using any free file undelete program such as Recuva. Is this a known problem with Advanced System Care, and can it be fixed? I ask, because this would be a useful feature if it actually worked.

Can anyone from IObit tech support answer this, please?

Hi Ian

Just one little question (from one user to another) :-)

Do you have both boxes ticked under Additional,

or just the "secure deletion" box?

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the response. I have only checked the "secure deletion" box. Can't find anything which says you have to check both boxes. I thought checking the "secure deletion" box meant that the junk files were securely erased, also the recycle bin (which I have also checked). I'm not really concerned about temp files more than a week old because my system is already set to delete them anyway. Are you saying that the 'secure deletion" function only relates to the temp files? If so, this is only of very limited use and perhaps the help file should make this clear.

Hi ian

Do you also have the Windows Recycle bin ticked for deletion?

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the response. I have only checked the "secure deletion" box. Can't find anything which says you have to check both boxes. I thought checking the "secure deletion" box meant that the junk files were securely erased, also the recycle bin (which I have also checked). I'm not really concerned about temp files more than a week old because my system is already set to delete them anyway. Are you saying that the 'secure deletion" function only relates to the temp files? If so, this is only of very limited use and perhaps the help file should make this clear.

Hi ian

Do you also have the Windows Recycle bin ticked for deletion?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg. Yes, recycle bin is ticked. Must say I'm surprised that no one else seems to have noticed that secure deletion doesn't work. Maybe I'm the only one who finds this feature useful. Cheers. Ian

If you truly want to insure complete obliteration of traces on your hard drive... try the freeware program Eraser. It will obliterate any left overs in the empty spaces of your hard drive.

Yes, I use Eraser. Complete erasure of free space on my hard drive takes nearly nearly three hours, though, even when set on only 1 random pass. Ian

Hi ian

What settings do you have in Privacy Sweep, Junk files Clean and Automatic care?

In Junk files Clean it does say to Scan for Windows Recycle Bin and Windows temporary files and IE Temporary files.

Two options on how to do that

Delete Windows temporary files older than 1 week and

Enable Secure File Deletion DOD 5220.22-M (Slower)

I understand that to mean that the secure file deletion should work on the recycle bin and on the temporary files.

If they don't it will be important to make IObit aware of that fact.

I do not myself feel the need to use the secure deletion function, so I have not checked it out.

Thanks for bringing up the point!

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, I use Eraser. Complete erasure of free space on my hard drive takes nearly nearly three hours, though, even when set on only 1 random pass. Ian

ASC Startup Manager Problem

Computer: Dell Precision 370, Intel P4, 2.80 Ghz, 2.5GRAM

Win XP Pro ver.2002 SP2

I have been using Advanced System Care for many months without any problems. I also use Iobit Security 360. I had some malware and virus problems that I cleaned up. Each infection started with the same type of problem. A pop up says that my computer is infected and then wants to scan and activate a program called PC Defender - another one called itself PC AntiVirus. When you try to cancel the operation or close the window, it responds by starting a scan. Then it refused to let me do anything and continuously popped up with "Your PC is infected!" I managed to boot in safe mode and launched my anti-virus program (Avast) which detected and eliminated the infection. One was listed as a trojan (picked up by IS360) and the other was ID as a virus/worm (picked up by Avast).. Several sys files and two apps were infected. I cleaned them out. When I open the start up mgr, multiple repetitive entries show up for an ATT Self Support Tool. I delete them, but upon start up they reappear. In fact they seem to grow exponetially! I uninstalled and reinstalled both the Self Support Tool and Advanced System Care. I now have \"896\" extraneous entries in my start up manager. They can only be deleted individually which would take too long. Is there a way to delete multiple entries? When I use the \"Jump to Item\" in the registry it goes to a file that does not appear to relate to the app in question (Self Support Tool). Any ideas??? I have never run into this problem before and have not been able to find this on the tech support forums on the internet.

===================

Product:Advanced SystemCare PRO 3

Version:3.4.2

ComputerType:Daily Use

NetworkType:DSL

Windows Version:Windows XP (32bit)

Service Pack: SP2

License :B337-44D3-A0FF-5E4A

HiJack Report PRYOR.txt

ASC Clean Install

I suggest when you update to v 3.5 you do a Clean Install

This will get rid of the extra items that have been 'saved' by the Startup Manager but you will have to re-configure ASC as all your Options (Preferences) will be lost.

If you are unsure how to do a Clean Install, go to Usage of IObit Products - Over the top/Clean install

Don't forget to use the BitRemover tool that is mentioned in that post.

As to the multiple entries of Self Support Tool, I found this @ http://www.techspot.com/startup/12284/

Is this the tool you have/had ?

Note the sentence I have put in Bold

SBC Self Support Tool / matcli.exe

File Name: matcli.exe

Status: Having this program run at startup is up to your discretion. If you find the program useful, you may want to leave it running at startup.

Additional Info: matcli.exe is a motive Assistant Command line interface that gathers information about your system's identity like your name email address, city, county, etc and gets written to a log file. The SBC Self Support Tool is required to run with the Help and Support program. If you uncheck SBC and and then run Help and Support it will add another SBC entry in the startup menu. If you remove this software in "add/remove programs" some help menus in help and support will not be available. You decide

All the best, woz of oz

ASC Re-install problem

When I uninstalled ASC 3.5, I deleted everything I could find. I dumped the ASC folder with my preferences and other info. I also ran a registry cleaner just to make sure there were no left-over entries (there were none). I had also deleted the problem app SST-ATT (the ATT Self Support Tool). It was recommended that I do a clean install, however the link to that thread gave me a message saying it was invalid. Interestingly when I re-installed I still had the problem of hundreds of entries in the startup referencing an app (SST-ATT) that was no longer on my computer. In fact after doing this, I am now up to about 895 entries. Before I had about 700 hundred entries. Many other startup items that used to appear, no longer show up. I don't really need the SST-ATT startup tool, but is the fact that it is missing now part of the problem. I have gone through several updates with ASC and noticed this problem did not occur until ASC version 3.4.2. But I also had two infections as stated in my original query (post #600)

I need the clean install instructions.

William Pryor