IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Post your suggestion, bug report here

Tim Xue

Mysterious dialog during scan

I have just installed the latest AWC.

During the scan the scan paused and a simple dialog appeared with one number (starting at 1) and an OK button.

I clicked the close (X) on the box and a second box appeared with the figure 2 and I closed again.

This continued to about 10 or 11 and then the scan continued.

Any idea what this was about?

Nigel

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWC (german) Sicherheitscenter indicates problems

Although running AntiVir (incl. guard) and spybot (incl. teatimer) and having no problems at all, AWC sometimes indicates 2929 problems, exactly this number.

Should I worry :?:

Greetinx from the land between the two seas

"No problems." solution

oompoop,

You don't have to worry, but it means that AWC can immunize your PC against 2929 more Infection Defense, Website Defense or Cookie Defense, depending on which checkboxes are not checked in your Security Defence section.

The immunization is similar to "Spybot-SD" and "SpaywareBlaster" you are using.

You can click "Show Details" of "Security Defense" after Scan and select each of the above mentioned defenses at the left pane in "Spyware Defense Analysis" window one by one and click "Select All" button and click "OK" button to have no problems after your Security Defense Repair.

Cheers.

I have recently purchased a copy of AWC pro.I have had several problems with it.

1.System restoure points dont work.The computer shuts down but on restart it says that the restoration has failed.

2.The Microsoft website is unable to detect my upgrades it keeps telling me to make upgrades I've already made and naturaly if it try to install them it fails.

3.Website issues.Even after disableing the security defence I'm haveing problems getting pages to load.And now explorer is freezing up

4.I have had several program freezes which were only fixed by a reboot.

Now I'm by no means a computer wiz but I'm no dummy.All of these issues have just arised after installing this software.I can understand that there might be some issues with software of this nature.The thing I'm dissapionted with is my e-mails to both technical support and customer service have been ignored.So now my only resolve is to scan through the forum to find answers.If any.

Do you have an anti-virus program?

Did you configure AWC correctly before running it? Check under all details?

Did you install it correctly? Did you have the personal version beforehand?

Sometimes updates will not install, because of a too security minded setting in Administration Services, it might be mentioned in the log in Administration.

With the multiple problems you are having, I doubt that it all is due to Advanced windowsCare.

Good luck

Yes I have Norton antivirus running.No I did not have AWC installed before I installed the profesional version.As to weather I instaled it properly let me say that I followed the instructions.Yes I have checked my security settings wich seem ok.As to your doubts on weather this software has caused all these issues,well my computer was not showing any of these symptoms before I instaled AWC so its not rocket science.You cant honestly tell me after looking through this forum and seeing some of the issues raised that this software doesn't have the potentual to cause these issues.In the only responce I have had from technical support they did the same thing and said they doubt AWC caused these problems.You wont convince me that it hasn't.

Tros - Regarding the system restore failure...did you check to see if the system restore service is still running? Click Start, then Run. Enter "services.msc" (without the "") and click OK. Scroll down until you see System Restore Service. Its Status should be "Started" and its Startup Type should be "Automatic." What does yours show?

It is just that I am wondering why all these problems occur.

I haven't had any, and that suggests that it must be different configurations on either the machine or the program details - or different install proceedings that are the culprit in these instances.

As I mentioned it might be some administration/service settings, but it will take a long time to go through them one by one.

Recommandations for configuring them (and explanations) can be found on the Internet in several places.

If you should find where your problem lies - please then post your findings - it might help others.

Cheers

Yes I have Norton antivirus running.No I did not have AWC installed before I installed the profesional version.As to weather I instaled it properly let me say that I followed the instructions.Yes I have checked my security settings wich seem ok.As to your doubts on weather this software has caused all these issues,well my computer was not showing any of these symptoms before I instaled AWC so its not rocket science.You cant honestly tell me after looking through this forum and seeing some of the issues raised that this software doesn't have the potentual to cause these issues.In the only responce I have had from technical support they did the same thing and said they doubt AWC caused these problems.You wont convince me that it hasn't.

Tros - You might want to check the dependencies for the system restore service as well to be sure something else isn't turned off. Have you tried restore in safe mode? Press F8 during the boot process, select safe mode, then select restore when given the option.

Windows update relies on the background intelligent transfer service...see if that's on.

Also...have a look at your event viewer. Start->Run->"eventvwr.msc"->OK. Look for red or yellow splats in the System Tools/Event Viewer/System log.

For what it's worth, I'm with solbjerg in that I don't think AWC actually caused all your problems. I personally have AWC Pro running on three machines, and I've recommended it to ten or twelve people and they installed with with nary a hiccup. AWC did appear to cause some problems on my son's machine, but when I dug into the problem I found he'd made some questionable registry tweaks from one of of those "1337" game tweaking support sites. Once I got the registry back to a known good state I had no more problems. I always suspected that one or more of the funky tweaks he had made probably conflicted one of the tweaks AWC made...sort of tipped the boat don't you know. Mind you, I don't know that for sure, and I'm not saying you've done the same thing, or that it's all your fault, just that AWC may be tripping on up already existing, just-below-the-surface type problems.

Hi Dave thanks for your suggestions.The background intelligent transfer servise is running.I can restore my sytem in safe mode but still not in the normal way.I have checked my event log and found SNMP service seems to be an issue.I am still looking in to this.Thanks again.Tros

Hi enoskype.I have checked the site and the software and I've got to be honest I dont think its for me.I can see the benefits if the software works but there is a bucket load of disclaimers to their product.All of this does not fill me with confidence.The site on which we are now had claims to the contrary,that I would be given support and that the software was easy to use.Yet look where I am.The site your suggesting offers nothing and guarantee's nothing.So as far as I'm concerned its once bitten twice shy.But I do thank you for your suggestion.Tros

If you don't find a an obvious culprit in your troubleshooting take enoskype's advice; Dial-a-fix is a pretty nifty little tool. It solved a Windows update problem for me a couple of months ago, and I fixed a friend's machine with it last week. Basically it re-installs standard Windows apps, re-registers dlls, flushes caches, etc. I was wary about it at first, but I've come to trust it.

Hi solbjerg.Well I'm a bit dumbfounded...I did exactly what you said and let windows decide but then ran AWC scan,tried a system restore and it worked?The scan made some changes to what windows thought was best but I cant fault the resalt.But I still have some issues with internet browsing which I havn't been able to solve.I'll get back to you on this one.Thanks heaps Tros.

Glad to hear it. The one click approch is not quite true, at least one has to go into each "details" and choose what to let AWC handle and what you want to keep by adding it to the ignore list. Something like that is probably what is giving you problems with internet connection too.

Then after one has configured the program the one click approch is much closer to the truth. :-)

Cheers

Problem with Menu Highlight Color After Running AWC2

Hello. I’ve just installed AWC2 (version 2.5.7.833) on three of my computers, scanned them, and made the changes suggested by the program. This has gone pretty well except that on two of my computers, the highlight color which highlights the selection in my Start menu and in some other menus (e.g., those that pop up when I right click on items in my system tray and my quick start tray) has changed from blue with white lettering to black with white lettering. Unfortunately, I cannot set it back to blue with white lettering using Display Properties: Appearance: Advanced: Selected Items: Color, which is the setting that is meant to control this highlight color; no matter what I set this color to, the highlight remains black with white lettering. It may be helpful to know that when I set it to a really bright color like red or yellow, I can see a very faint red or yellow border around the black highlighting, so it would appear that whatever the Windows setting for this highlight color is is being overridden by some other setting telling the highlight to be black.

Can you please let me know what I can do to correct this problem? I suspect it has to do with one of the Registry Fixes or System Optimizations I chose and, if I know which one it is, I can simply go back to the restore point I created before running AWC2 and not select whatever Fix or Optimization caused this to occur.

Hope to hear from someone soon and many thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer here…

cwb1014@gmail.com (feel free to reply directly if you'd like)

My guess is that the optimization has been allowed to take things a bit to far, to optimize fully will mean that the computer doesn't use so many resources, and one of the things it can cut back on is the number of coulours for example.

Try the same thing I proposed to Tros, and let Windows choose the best settings for your computer.

My guess is that the optimization has been allowed to take things a bit to far, to optimize fully will mean that the computer doesn't use so many resources, and one of the things it can cut back on is the number of coulours for example.

Try the same thing I proposed to Tros, and let Windows choose the best settings for your computer.

I think your guess is correct! I went to My Computer:Properties:Advanced:Performance:Settings and chose "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer" and everything appears to be back to normal with my highlight color.

Allow me to suggest giving users the option of retaining Windows selections of "what's best for my computer" when running AWC2 with some explanatory material as to whether to choose this option, such as problems that can arise when Windows selections are not retained.

Thank you for your help with this.

Regards,

cwb1014

Good to hear!

The important thing is to go into "details" before cleaning and choose what to keep and then add it to the ignore list. This goes especially for the system settings.

It looks as if too many rely solely on the program to do things, but the program can not differentiate like you can yourself, so always check the first few times you run the program, afterwards you can almost leave it solely to the program to fix things.

Cheers