IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Can Smart Defrag damage my HD?

Hi,

Can someone tell me about his experiences with Smart Defrag? I found it a very interesting tool, but due to its always working process, on background, always prompt to defragment automatically, I am afraid it can cause some damage or data loss on my system.

Is there it risk?

And, leaving it working in background, in real time, consumes it very resources of the system?

Thanks! :)

The debate goes on

It seems the debate about Defragging (and Registry cleaning) good or bad, often or seldom etc, has been going on since the beginning of (binary) time and will probably outlast the computers themselves :grin:

I started reading up on it, got confused and ran away, so I have no positive answer or opinion.

I do a manual defrag once a week but I don't seem to get a lot of defragmentation anyway, so that's not meant to be a suggestion for anyone else.

Since you are asking, you might find this an interesting read:

Think about Defragmentation!!! :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi ewsg

Usually a defragmentation will not damage your computer or be responsible for data loss.

It can happen if power is lost during a defrag, or if somebody for some reason cuts the power to the computer during an auto defrag or a scheduled defrag or even if it is started by hand and the user is extremely impatient and closes it down by cutting the power. :-(

Please go through your settings and then read suggested threads and go through your settings again.

I am one of those that doesn't use auto defrag, and one of those that believe that defragging too much will make your harddisk wear out faster for a very small increase in speed.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

Can someone tell me about his experiences with Smart Defrag? I found it a very interesting tool, but due to its always working process, on background, always prompt to defragment automatically, I am afraid it can cause some damage or data loss on my system.

Is there it risk?

And, leaving it working in background, in real time, consumes it very resources of the system?

Thanks! :)

ha-ha enoskype

You are right :-)

Do you have a preferred level of fragmentation where you will start defragmentation?

I have set it to 5% but usually do it by hand before it reaches 2% ;-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg, perhaps, defragging too many times instead of too much could be a better terminology for the harddisk wear.:wink::grin:

Cheers.

Hello enoskype and solbjerg,

Thanks for your help.

Do you use IOBit Smart Defrag, but don't leaves it running in the background. Is this correct?

Do you use only "on demand" defragmentation?

Thanks again!

P.S.: solbjerg, sorry, but I don't understood this: "Please go through your settings and then read suggested threads and go through your settings again." :)

Hi solbjerg,

I set the adjustments to max %, as I do it manually when I feel to defrag.:-P

Hi ewsg,

Yes, the above definition is an indication that I do it manually, and don't run it in the background. But, it doesn't mean that everybody should do like that, it is a personal preference and also depends to the specific usage variety of the PC.

Cheers.

Hi solbjerg,

I set the adjustments to max %, as I do it manually when I feel to defrag.:-P

Hi ewsg,

Yes, the above definition is an indication that I do it manually, and don't run it in the background. But, it doesn't mean that everybody should do like that, it is a personal preference and also depends to the specific usage variety of the PC.

Cheers.

I understood.

I really don't know why I don't started to use Smart Defrag yet...hehehehe :)

Archived