IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Faster Dialup Speed

samr

I ran across something interesting for anyone still running dialup. ( I have one computer that still is!) I found a video that showed this and I was amazed to find that it works!

Hold mouse over your connection icon and it will show you connection speed (mine was 46.6 kbps). Disconnect & go start-control panel-phone and modem options-modems, then select your modem. Click properties-advanced. In the box that says "Extra initialization Commands" type" AT&FX" (with no qoutes), then hit OK then OK and re-connect. Hold the mouse over the connection icons and it will tell you the new speed (mine is 115.2kbps- more than doubled!).

Pages are opening quite a bit faster now-it really seems to work!

samr.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi samr

I tried it too on a friends computer, and find that it helps a little.

Usually the top connection speed is 57600 from the provider, but setting it

to 115200 helps a bit.

It raised the download speed from 4.7 kB/sek to 5.1 kB/sek when I tried it on my friends computer (that's 37600 kbs to 40800 kbs in that instance),

so he had a rather slow connection at that time, even thought the popup insisted that it was running at 115200.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi solbjerg,

I still don't know exactly what this tweak does, but it did seem to help. I'm wondering if it may help a bottleneck between modem & pc.

I also used Cablenut and applied the patch for windows 2000 and it helped also:

http://www.cablenut.com

Between the two, speed tests have shown a definite improvement. Of course with dial up any little bit helps!

samr.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys, i hate being late on interesting posts but i would like to inform you of something a bit technical.

Holding your curser over the connection icon on the task bar doesn't give you the actual connection speed what it does give you is the speed data travels at between your modem and computer. Copper phone lines will only give you a top speed of somewhere between 19.8kb/s to 28.8kb/s. this would also depend on how far you lived from the nearest exchange and other factors which i wont go into as it takes to long. ;-)

Archived