IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry Defrag - how is it supposed to work?

SpodoC

So I run the Registry Defrag utility and click on Next; up pops the window telling me to close programs and disable the antivirus program, which I do, and then I click on Yes (to continue).

The screen dims and the status window shows that it is Analyzing The Registry, and the percentage eventually reaches 100%. But then the display clears, leaving the utility window exactly the same as before (Next, Cancel and Help buttons) but it takes some time before it allows you to do anything. When it does become ready for input, clicking on Next just does another registry analysis (and the other 2 buttons have the expected result).

Has it done anything other than analyzing the registry? Should clicking on Next after the analysis do something different, such as actually doing the defrag?

The online help just says follow the on-screen instructions when running the utility, so I am not clear as to whether the utility has worked or not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I find the registry defrag option in ASC fails to run and use another free software for this. I would only run the registry defrag about every 3 months or so, it does not need regular attention like the hard drive defrag.

to download the free WinASO Registry optimizer [the reg defrag option is very good]

http://www.winaso.com/registry_optimizer/

This program also has other options, the registry checker is very good [if you have an hp printer check it does not delete these in error] [also do not use the system optimizer function as it reverses the better iobit optimization]

[the free version cleans only 10 items at once, paid for version does it all in one go.opt for free]

Thanks for replying sunny staines ; I have other programs which do registry defragging but was hoping that activities like that could now all be initiated from just the single suite of software that is ASC.

I will, however, have a look at WinASO Registry optimizer for which you have kindly provided a link because I can't resist trying different utilities, so thanks for that.

Hi SpodoC,

Although the treshold is a bit higher in ASC's Registry Defrag utility, it works for my XP sp3 and Win 7.

After the analysis is finished, try clicking "Next" button and follow the instructions on the GUI.

Cheers.

Please

Tried it again...

... and for the first 2 times the behaviour was as I described originally BUT at the 3rd time of asking a window popped-up very briefly (less than a second) to tell me that the registry had been defragmented!

These last few times I have moved the windows away from the default of being centre screen but the fact that a status message has appeared makes me wonder whether this had previously been hidden behind the other windows.

Oh well, I don't intend to defrag the registry again for a few months and so I've left myself a stickie to remind me to move the utility window away from the default position next time.

Thanks all. 8:)

Archived