IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

There is no excuse my new friends!!!

garybear

Hi new members. There is no excuse not to have your OS backed up. This is a free program and very user friendly. If you learn how to use this program, you will never have to worry about reformatting and starting from scratch ever again. If your to lazy to learn how to use this free program, then I have no sympathy when you see see the BSOD, or have problems with your Operating System. There are other good programs out there ,but this is the bear's favorite. When you have your OS backed up; you are fearless my friend, so do it today. That's an order from the bear!!!! PS Here are utobe videos that explain every thing. You have no excuse!!!

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=macrium+reflect+utube&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=macrium+reflect+utube&gs_rfai=&fp=a2bb30ecf4f91972

Hi new friends!!!

5 clicks and you have an exact image of your Operating System. If you can find an easier way, please post on this forum for our members. PS H drive is my external USB. If you have any questions, please ask and I'll try to answer them.===garybear

Hi new friends!!!

Hi new friends!! 5 clicks and you are restored to the image you created. You only do this when your Operating System has failed to perform the way it did the day you created this back up image. Another reason would be if your hard drive died. You just buy a new HD, remove the dead drive, put in the new drive, restore your image and your back up and running just like it was the day you created your image. I can't make it any easier my friends. If you choose to be lazy and just sit on your hands, then I can not feel very sorry for you when your OS is corrupt, or your HD dies.===garybear PS When you see the last screen shot, you will need to put your recue CD in your CD tray and restart your PC. This will restart your PC in the rescue mode. Just follow the wizzard and your back up image will be restored to your HD and you will be back just like the day you created that image. You are fearless my friend and nothing scares you any more because you can recover from any thing!!

nice Gary and its always good to remind any new member..and even older members.

this is the easiest back up program i be leave there is.

make a boot disk .if using XP.PE if using vista or win7 use the LINUX tag.

that it a bit of time well spend..

please note:

it will not matter if you lose the booting c:\drive

monkeying about with whatever.lose it.pop in the rescue disk mailcuim.

point to the file where the image is and hit go.

the door of the cd will open ,take it out.when done reboot.you are back.

fully working.

itsmejjj

The only problem with imaging programs like Macrium Reflect is that most people create a new image every week, or every couple of days.

And, unless you keep a slew of images on external harddrives and document their [images] contents/dates taken/etc. they are just about useless to restore your system to a near 100% troublefree state.

The problem is that you still keep all registry errors that may be undetected by programs, all malware that has not been detected yet and may be nestled and hidden deep within your system - yet to be discovered by your AV.

Also, you keep a slew of installed/uninstalled program leftovers and errors in the registry.

Remember, all those little things do add up over time. And all the while you think you're good to go since you use an imaging program and can just restore your entire system within 15 or so minutes back to "normal" does not mean it is 100%, like it was when you first set it up.

Here's the trick to a good image: Format your harddrive, reinstall Windows and your favorite and most used applications (do you really need that aquarium screensaver?), update EVERYTHING that there is to update and run your favorite registry repair tools. Then, make an image and keep it on an external harddrive, USB stick, DVD, tapes, whatever. You will have an image free of clutter and most likely without viruses/malware (a scan before taking the image is just good practice).

And then, if you keep installation files of your programs, possibly saved settings of your favorite programs, backups from your emails, etc. and have to restore your system one day, you will find that in addition to the 15-30 minutes it takes to reload the image, it takes maybe 30 more minutes to get the newest updates and program versions onto your system.

--

Just my 2 cents.

Hi Dan!!

Hi Dan!!! Thanks for your comments!! Here are mine. Windows updates the second Tuesday of the month. If you create an image once a month, you will spend very little time up dating windows. If you keep your PC tuned up and cleaned up with programs like Ccleaner , ASC3, RegSeeker, and any other programs you trust, you will not be backing up a bunch of clutter when you create a image with Macrium. If you use good AV programs and good anti- malware programs like Avira and IObit 360 and run them before creating an image, you are very unlikely to transfer viruses and malware. If you have any of this on your PC, you can always fight it and get rid of it. Will I have a virgin OS?? No I won't ,but to me it's better than starting over from scratch. I have a slip stream CD of windows XP3 and I have used it, but it's really a pain in the behind to up date all the updates for windows and your apps. When I create an image of my OS with Macrium, I know what I have and I never keep any thing on my C drive that's important for very long. If it's real important , it goes on CD's or a external USB. I use Macrium to restore my OS when I feel that there is no other option for me to use. I have used it in the past and for me that's the only way to go. Is my PC clean as a whistle?? NO it isn't, but you won't find very much trash on my PC and I know I can restore it just like it was the day I created that image, and that is a great relief for me to know that. I would challenge you to find a better maintained PC than the one I have. The greatest thing about all this is that I learned every thing I know on this forum from friends like you and many others. Thanks for your post my friend.===garybear

Hi Dan and friends!!

Hi friends!! You can see that my ship is run very tight and maintained as well as I know how. If anyone has any ideas to help me do a better job, I would be open to any suggestions my friends!! Believe me when it comes to uninstalling programs, there is very little left when I get done with it. The registry does not scare me one little bit, but I do respect it and use caution when I use reg-edit, but it does not scare me . I know that Macrium will save me just like it always has in the past. I fear very little when it comes to maintaining and cleaning my PC. I have recovered from a lot od disasters in the past and I'm sure the future holds many more, but I do not fear the unknown as long as my friend Macrium is by my side.===garybear

Gary,

my post was not specifically addressed to you personally.

It was a generalization of the common user, who - sad but true - does not keep their computer up-to-date, cleans their junk files, etc. like you and many others on this board do almost every day.

As a computer tech in the private sector, I see many, many computers on my desk that lack even the simplest form of protection - a free AV program.

Hi Dan!! I did not take your post personally!!

Gary,

my post was not specifically addressed to you personally.

It was a generalization of the common user, who - sad but true - does not keep their computer up-to-date, cleans their junk files, etc. like you and many others on this board do almost every day.

As a computer tech in the private sector, I see many, many computers on my desk that lack even the simplest form of protection - a free AV program.

Hi my friend!! I did not take your post personally. You are so right my friend about the common user. I try my best to educate them on this forum, just like a lot of our members do also. Just about every thing I know about my PC, I learned from members on this forum and I'm very grateful to everyone of them that have put up with me. Thank you for your post my friend.===garybear

let me again put in my 1 cent here...

up till about 2 years back one could of placed me in that category.when it came to backing up a drive..

call it luck or what ever.when i used XP. plus the duel booting systems.

now involved with the school children. i was made to start back ups.(image)

every pc..as you can understand..plus now the drive are very big.all of a sudden

1000+ gigabytes...that hold a heck of a lot of data.and thy are getting larger..

one one thinks about it 3000 gigabytes just around the corner! and i bet by the year2015 thy be around the 100000 mark..

so its so important to get into a habit of a full image back up..

and this may happen any second.that the booting drive will fail..

and one is faced with a reformat..now even if you could access the drive.

think of this where will you place your files?

and i bet most do not have a external drive of 15000 gigs..

some of us may but most do not..

ok i am one of the ones that have 3 total 3.5000 gig. in the pc.2 outside it.USB and 30000 outside.

with a mile of data..backed up..

here is a other point.

with malcium back up files. you can access them.and open them .copy what

is there manually..now how about that..all your files in a compressed state

and accessible .

say you had a program file went corrupted. a dd l file .you have it..

all you need to do find the directory.

then the file copy past it to the corrupted boot one..

close every thing reboot and most cases your good..

ether way its a top application...

ok just encase you did not know..members..look into this program..

jjj

let me again put in my 1 cent here...

up till about 2 years back one could of placed me in that category.when it came to backing up a drive..

call it luck or what ever.when i used XP. plus the duel booting systems.

now involved with the school children. i was made to start back ups.(image)

every pc..as you can understand..plus now the drive are very big.all of a sudden

1000+ gigabytes...that hold a heck of a lot of data.and thy are getting larger..

one one thinks about it 3000 gigabytes just around the corner! and i bet by the year2015 thy be around the 100000 mark..

so its so important to get into a habit of a full image back up..

and this may happen any second.that the booting drive will fail..

and one is faced with a reformat..now even if you could access the drive.

think of this where will you place your files?

and i bet most do not have a external drive of 15000 gigs..

some of us may but most do not..

ok i am one of the ones that have 3 total 3.5000 gig. in the pc.2 outside it.USB and 30000 outside.

with a mile of data..backed up..

here is a other point.

with malcium back up files. you can access them.and open them .copy what

is there manually..now how about that..all your files in a compressed state

and accessible .

say you had a program file went corrupted. a dd l file .you have it..

all you need to do find the directory.

then the file copy past it to the corrupted boot one..

close every thing reboot and most cases your good..

ether way its a top application...

ok just encase you did not know..members..look into this program..

jjj

Hi jjj!! Thanks my friend!! This is how you mount an image in Windows Explorer. Now just like you say in your post, you can find and copy and paste any thing in this back up image. It's all there and all you have to do is find it and copy and paste it to your active OS. Thanks my friend for your post.==garybear PS I love my Macrium!! I have been wondering about your wife. I hope she is doing well and you also my friend!!

And, unless you keep a slew of images on external hard drives and document their [images] contents/dates taken/etc. they are just about useless to restore your system to a near 100% trouble free state.

yes and no .i read your post several times over .ok you are right in what you say.

but i disagree on restore it to 100%....

i do not back up every week.or day..

i use 2 only.the very first one is when installed with all the basic applications.

this is my last resort ..if any fail. format the drive then use this backup.

why? takes 3 min nits .done. and know what will or can be installed,

ok 2nd one has all running.clean,to the date of the image made.

so i made come up short a few installed apps after that date..

saves a lot of hard work .

as for updating the OS ,sorry never do .or want to.or ever will...

not advised to the new user.

.this os and my other ones has never been to ms bar the first time to ,verify it.1 time.no update,but make it genuine..

there after i need never to do this again. my back up is already that..

and that is the way i do it..but you are correct and your post.its a wise statement..danburrito,

Gary ..the dear one is steady.Freddy at the moment..as for myself .fine.

bar the odd days of pain..

and ,by the way has anyone heard .or know of titou56???

is he ok?

itsmejjj

Archived