IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Have a friend---Needs Help!!!

garybear

Hi I have a friend that is running Vista. She can down load any program ,but can not up date any thing. She down loaded and ran ASC3 and now she can't up date any programs. She can down load up dates, but can't install them. I Goggled and found this. I do not have a clue about her problem, but promised I would ask on our forum!! I suggested sfc /scannow now and chkdsk. She ran Malwarebytes and had a lot of malware. She is using Avira AV. I understand that the only problem that she has is that she can not up date any program. She is the administrator. I suspect an option ,but I know nothing about Vista. Any suggestions are appreciated.===garybear PS She is telling me that she can not update Avira, Malwarebytes,Microsoft, or any other program??????????

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-updates-with-fix-wu-utility

Hi Gary,

Since she had malware, it is better to guide her to the Forum and use the Spyware-Malware Removal Help! section for Malware Fighters to look to the matter and follow the procedure in Guidelines for requesting malware removal assistance thread there.

The best practice should be to deal with the matter directly, the person having problem and the Malware Fighter. It is extremely hard to solve a malware/virus problem in an oblique way.

Cheers.

Thanks friend!!

Hi Gary,

Since she had malware, it is better to guide her to the Forum and use the Spyware-Malware Removal Help! section for Malware Fighters to look to the matter and follow the procedure in Guidelines for requesting malware removal assistance thread there.

The best practice should be to deal with the matter directly, the person having problem and the Malware Fighter. It is extremely hard to solve a malware/virus problem in an oblique way.

Cheers.

Hi friend!! It is my understanding that she has gotten rid of all Malware, and is left with just the problem of not being able to up date. I agree that it sounds like she may still have Malware, and would be best to come on our forum, and let a Malware Fighter help her. Thanks for your post my friend. I will try to get her to join our forum if she continues to have this problem. Thanks for your post enoskype. I was beginning to feel unloved:roll::roll::roll:

I was beginning to feel unloved:roll::roll::roll:

:lol:...but becareful it's taken me like 6hours to clean everything (298GB Hard drive) then you still need to reformat and recreate petition with the XP disc.

''Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.'' - Apparently also remove the malwares in it

Download

http://www.dban.org/download

Known Problems

* If you have a computer with an Intel Core Duo processor, then you must use the DBAN 2.0 pre-release to get full performance.

* The keyboard may be unresponsive at the "Device Selection" dialog on some Apple MacBook Pro laptop computers. Use "autonuke" instead of interactive mode on these computers until the bug is fixed.

* If your computer usually crashes, then DBAN is likely to crash with a "kernel panic" or "sanity error" too. DBAN does not run on computers with bad hardware.

Forum

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/forums/forum/208932

Tutorial

http://www.dban.org/faq/burning

''Darik's Boot and Nuke" ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.'' - Apparently also remove the malwares in it

Hi usefullll, ;-)

What is the relevancy to the update problem that Gary mentions?:?:

Going with a tank to kill a mosquito? :razz:

Cheers.

Hi usefullll, ;-)

What is the relevancy to the update problem that Gary mentions?:?:

Going with a tank to kill a mosquito? :razz:

Cheers.

I think it's much better then scanning with Anti spyware stuffs,it's removes everything permanently. DBAN isn't the quickest method but most efficient..

Malware fighter mostly request you to Download Combofix and also run Hijackthis logs etc etc,so it's a hassle,really. You'll know if you visit A-Squared forum before.

I think it's much better then scanning with Anti spyware stuffs,it's removes everything permanently. DBAN isn't the quickest method but most efficient..

Malware fighter mostly request you to Download Combofix and also run Hijackthis logs etc etc,so it's a hassle,really.

usefullll, do I understand correctly that there is no need for malware experts, and instead of using cleaning tools, wipe the harddisk and format it, is the remedy to malware/virus infections? :!: :idea:

Cheers.

usefullll, do I understand correctly that there is no need for malware experts, and instead of using cleaning tools, wipe the harddisk and format it, is the remedy to malware/virus infections? :!: :idea:

Cheers.

Did i mention that? Malware experts possessed more knowledge than normal users,they certainly helps but in this case,

Since the computer been infected by numerous Malwares before, thus clean installation is the safest way to start new and restore stability.

And chill, just my two cents.

Hi friends!!

Hi friends!! My friend has given me this. She gets this error code when she tries to down load up dates. Error code 80070490!! I'm thinking that the computer has been neglected for a long time. I'm having to commute by email, and her responses are slow. I want her to join our forum ,but don't think that will happen, and I can only help minimal the way we are doing this. I was hoping someone using Vista would have a simple answer. I have xp3, so it's hard for me to help her. I have a feeling she has not keep up with windows up dates and support has been dropped for her version. I have researched this on Google and I'm trying to help in that way. Any suggestions would be appreciated and passed on. Thank you friends!==garybear

OK danburrito, if I were a PC/IT technician as my profession, the easiest way to do is the format and reload the OS, but as you say, it is sometimes easier (Perhaps, in the very early stages of the usage of a PC), so, most of the times, users like myself would like to solve the problem and keep the PC as it is after years of usage.

If one takes his problematic PC/laptop to the place where it is bought, the first thing often heard is "let's format it". I have seen many of them and without formatting, they are still running like clock work orange.!!!:-)

I think the best practice is keeping the PC updated, clean, protected and defragged and have a mirror image at that state to use when the need realy arises. :idea: (IMHO even that should be in extreme cases.)

It is a matter of preference anyway, but I do not agree with the idea that a PC should be formatted and reinstalled with the OS if there is a virus or a malware, etc., it should be the last option if nothing is left.

Trying to figure out the root of the problems gives the experience not to do the same faults and mistakes again.

Cheers.

Hi!!

OK danburrito, if I were a PC/IT technician as my profession, the easiest way to do is the format and reload the OS, but as you say, it is sometimes easier (Perhaps, in the very early stages of the usage of a PC), so, most of the times, users like myself would like to solve the problem and keep the PC as it is after years of usage.

If one takes his problematic PC/laptop to the place where it is bought, the first thing often heard is "let's format it". I have seen many of them and without formatting, they are still running like clock work orange.!!!:-)

I think the best practice is keeping the PC updated, clean, protected and defragged and have a mirror image at that state to use when the need realy arises. :idea: (IMHO even that should be in extreme cases.)

It is a matter of preference anyway, but I do not agree with the idea that a PC should be formatted and reinstalled with the OS if there is a virus or a malware, etc., it should be the last option if nothing is left.

Trying to figure out the root of the problems gives the experience not to do the same faults and mistakes again.

Cheers.

Hi Dan!! This is my hero speaking!!!(enoskype). Most of the things I know I have learned from this man. In my eyes, he is God of the computer world. I would give my left one to have his knowledge. enoskype is my hero and my friend and what ever he tells me, I take it to the bank. Even though I keep very little data on my PC, I hate formatting and starting over. A repair of the OS with the CD is bad enough, and I have had that fail for me. I spent a lot of$$ before I found this forum. I have not had to visit the repairman since I found this forum and Macrium Reflect. If everyone followed my friend enoskype's advice, PC repairmen would go out of business :roll::roll::roll:: PS I'm a bit of a dare devil, and not much scares me. It use to cost me alot of money, but not any more; thanks to this forum. The next $$$ I spend will be for a new PC.

ok similar discussion as or backing up one..tread,

depending how bad the drive could be infected.or even may be,

and seems to be very eratic..

why stuff around hours on end trying to clean it. yes if its not a bother and one has fun trying ok..and hope its successful.

i know of one program that beats any scan this or that program.or malaware app. and its totally free you already have it .assuming you have the cd.:idea:

f disk,or win cd boot disk..or use the install cd of the preferred os.

do a kill of the drive c:\ partition then .reformat :roll:.that's it ,install brand new .back it up .

you clean!:mrgreen:

itsmejjj

It's not worth to reformat because there's a malware detected, spending hours on wiping disk is worth only if your system heavily infected.

OK gentleman we aren't having a argument here,just merely stating our own opinions. Sorry for the confusions, Cheers guys and Good luck bear. :wink:

Hi usefull!!!

It's not worth to reformat because there's a malware detected, spending hours on wiping disk is worth only if your system heavily infected.

OK gentleman we aren't having a argument here,just merely stating our own opinions. Sorry for the confusions, Cheers guys and Good luck bear. :wink:

Hi friend!! Friends don't argue, they discuss things. I will need a lot of luck. Thanks for your post! PS When you restore an image with Macrium, It formats your drive before it restores the image. I don't see any reason that I would ever need to format a drive again, unless I wanted to use kill disk or some thing like that. My drive is not pure, but it's damn close to it. I keep it cleaned up and it'd running great.==garybear

Archived