IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Cpu

tuktuki

How much ESD does it take to kill a CPU? If I walked around on carpet and sat down for 5 minutes on a couch and walked back to my computer with a CPU in my hand, what would happen to my CPU? Would it just die and never ever work again and the computer won't turn on because the CPU would be broken (by ESD) or would it just not work properly from ESD. Explain how it would work if not properly. Or could there be nothing wrong with the CPU and it's fine?

Electro_Static Discharge

Hi tuktuki,

Here is some information on ESD:

The average person can carry up to 25,000 volts of static energy at any given time. This sounds like a lot, but because the current level is low, you usually won't notice it.

If the equipment is cold, wait until it has reached room temperature. ESD builds up much faster when it's cold and dry (low humidity).

If you don't take steps to prevent ESD, you may regret it. Your computer can sustain serious damage without you knowing it. CPUs and memory chips of any kind are highly vulnerable to ESD. If you fry your PC with static electricity, you may soon start to notice random memory errors, blue screens, and lock-ups. Normally, you can't see or even feel ESD, but it is almost always there, so be sure to do the right thing.

Cheers.

Archived