IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Cannot run Windows System Restore after using ASC

After running Disk Cleaner & Cloned Files Finder (ASC v3.5) I soon realised that all my Win Applications are not working.

Eg. When clicking on an Excel file, Office apps will try to install & prompt me for the .msi locations.

Acrobat is also asking me to reinstall & indicate the correct .msi location.

I'm also getting plenty of "blank" icons on my desktop.

To make matter worse, I had also cleared my Recycle bin:cry:

I have tried to run Windows XP's System Restore but it was unable to complete.

I tried a file recovery software named "Recover My Files" but I'm not sure what files was actually deleted from ASC that I should be restoring back to my PC.

Please advise if there's a way for me to undo/restore the changes made by ASC. ( Tried Restore Center without success:cry:)

Or is reinstalling WinXp is the only way to go?

My System Specs:

Win XP SP2

ASC V3.5

McAfee Total Protection

Regards

Leslie

Cloned Files Finder needs user warning

This is for experienced users only, I would not touch it. a bit late now for you.

have you tried going to safe mode, disable security and any other running programs and try system restore again.

did you have a image back up you can use?

Yes. I have tried to disable the Mcafee Total Protection & going into Safe Mode.

But the System Restore still can't complete succesfully. I have tried a few dates to restore to but all failed.:cry:

Unfortunately I don't have a valid image backup.

I was actually preparing to do a backup right after using the ASC but....

cloned files option does carry a warning but i feel it needs to be a bit stronger or even consideration about keeping it as it could do more harm than good if too many novices use it unaware of the risks, then tarring the rest of iobit with a false bad name as their pc's getted messed up.

cannot think of any other option other than boot into safe mode and opt for last working config/repair or possible try repair with SFC

I will try to run SFC in Safe Mode and post back my findings later.

Is there a .log(list) of files deleted by ASC that I can try to restore using

3rd Party Data Recovery Software?

Hi sunny!!

cloned files option does carry a warning but i feel it needs to be a bit stronger or even consideration about keeping it as it could do more harm than good if too many novices use it unaware of the risks, then tarring the rest of iobit with a false bad name as their pc's getted messed up.

Hi good friend!! I agree with your post 100%. I see no purpose for this tool besides causing novices to use it and wind up reformatting and starting over. I have tried my best to get people to use a good back up program. System restore is worthless when someone does a foolish thing like remove cloned files. IMHO IObit does not need to include a tool like this in ASC3. It will only cause problems for ASC3 users not experienced in PC care. That's my 2 cents!!!garybear

Hi friend!!

I will try to run SFC in Safe Mode and post back my findings later.

Is there a .log(list) of files deleted by ASC that I can try to restore using

3rd Party Data Recovery Software?

Hi friend!! There is no log created for removing cloned files. You are in deep trouble my friend. You have learned a terrible lesson. You might as well bite the bullet and reinstall your OS. You have deleted two many files and I know of no way to get them back except a reinstall of Windows and starting all over from scratch. I feel your pain. When you get every thing back, get yourself a back up program and use it.==garybear

Archived