IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Game Booster

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi atridhr,

Thank you for your suggestion.

We are working on add a function which can start a game or some programs when clicked on 'Switch to Gaming Mode' at present.

We plan to release the new version at next month (September).

BTW, version 1.51 that fixed the remembrance bug will be released tomorrow or the day.

Cheers.

Command line closing?

it would be great if there was a way to tell game gamebooster to return to normal mode and close. It would really helpful to be able to run a batch file to start game booster run a game and close game booster after the game ends.

this is a standalone program that creates gamebooster shortcuts:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=7213

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to see a desktop gadget. Something with a single button that launches it into gaming mode, kind like the gadget for Tuneup Utilities:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1388/capturefs.png

The button at the bottom puts it into "turbo mode."

One thing worth mentioning is that if you have GB set up to close your gadgets upon going into gaming mode, it won't restart your gadgets when you come back out of gaming mode. It would be nice if it would.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest theman20

Re: Suggestions for Game Booster

I would really like to know if you can allow people to hide certain features such as game defrag or game tools - I don't really use them and actually the game defrag might be bad for my system since i'm using a whole different program to defrag my computer/games. Some of the game essentials like Xfire and teamspeak aren't really "essential", I prefer ventrilo and Xfire is just not necessary...so more options upon installation would be nice...such as not including game defrag or game tools. System tweaks I was a little disappointed that it simply changed my settings without even giving a kind of warning or telling what it was going to change in depth (maybe give a better description). Besides that, it's not a bad program it's still lightweight and does it's job.

Any suggestion for GB v2 (beta2-for translator's)

Hi IObit team,

Any suggestion for language translation.

See image

Damned

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5941&stc=1&d=1284581135

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5942&stc=1&d=1284581135

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5943&stc=1&d=1284581135

@enoskype

GameBoost 2 Beta should add

TCPNoDelay

TcpAckFrequency

The tweak up allows for tweaking or disabling Nagle's alogrithm.

Disabling "nagling" allows for very small packets to be transferred immediately without delay.

Note that disabling Nagle's algorithm is only recommended for games,and it may have negative impact on file transfers/throughput. .

The dafault state (Nagling enabled) improves performance by allowing several small packets to be combined together into a single,

larger packet for more efficient transmission.

While this improves overall performance and reduces TCP/IP overhead, it may briefly delay transmission of smaller packets.

Keep in mind that disabling Nagle's algorithm may have some negative effect on file transfers, and can only help reduce delay in games.

But we are talking about GameBoost rite?! ^_^

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}
TcpAckFrequenc=1 DWORD value
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters 
TCPNoDelay=1 DWORD value

Yes 7even, IObit might think about it.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=2574

Gaming Tweak - Disable Nagle's algorithm

The tweak below allows for tweaking or disabling Nagle's alogrithm. Disabling "nagling" allows for very small packets to be transferred immediately without delay. Note that disabling Nagle's algorithm is only recommended for some games, and it may have negative impact on file transfers/throughput. The dafault state (Nagling enabled) improves performance by allowing several small packets to be combined together into a single, larger packet for more efficient transmission. While this improves overall performance and reduces TCP/IP overhead, it may briefly delay transmission of smaller packets. Keep in mind that disabling Nagle's algorithm may have some negative effect on file transfers, and can only help reduce delay in some games. To implement this tweak, in the registry editor (Start>Run>regedit) find:

This setting configures the maximum number of outstanding ACKs in Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}

There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed there, for example: {1660430C-B14A-4AC2-8F83-B653E83E8297}. Find the correct one with your IP address listed. Under this {NIC-id} key, create a new DWORD value:

TcpAckFrequency=1 (DWORD value, 1=disable, 2=default, 2-n=send ACKs if outstanding ACKs before timed interval. Setting not present by default).

For gaming performance, recommended is 1 (disable). For pure throughput and data streaming, you can experiment with values over 2. If you try larger values, just make sure TcpAckFrequency*MTU is less than RWIN, since the sender may stop sending data if RWIN fills witout acknowledgement.

Also, find the following key (if present):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters

Add a new DWORD value:

TCPNoDelay=1 (DWORD value, 0 to enable Nagle's algorithm, 1 to disable, not present by default)

To configure the ACK interval timeout (only has effect if nagling is enabled), find the following key:

TcpDelAckTicks=0 (DWORD value, default=2, 0=disable nagling, 1-6=100-600 ms). Note you can also set this to 1 to reduce the nagle effect from the default of 200ms without disabling it.

Notes:

Reportedly, the above gaming tweak (disabling nagle's algorithm) can reduce WoW (World of Warcraft) latency by almost half!

XP/2003 needs hotfix or SP2 for it to work (MS KB 815230)

Vista needs hotfix or SP1 for it to work (MS KB 935458)

Cheers.

Game Booster 2 has worked wonders for me so far, thank you IObit!

Before GB2 came out, I almost gave up on playing CounterStrike. Ive been playing it for years and just for some reason the passed few weeks and months my game has been acting up and my game has been really sluggish. I think I take very good care of my computer and even with the first Game Booster, it didnt help.

Although I'm pretttty sure that GB1 and 2 stop the same services and/or processes (please tell me if I'm wrong) I was surprised that GB2 was able to stop my lag ingame. Whatever it was that did it, thank you!

As for my suggestions, others have already pointed it out

- An option to hide Game Essentials that I did not choose install

- An update button

- Other color schemes

I know that most people that have been using Game Booster know exactly what it does, I would like it if it had somewhere when you open the program, a short detalied explanation of how it can help boost your game, similar to what the first Game Booster had, although a different variation of the text might be nice; maybe stating things the first Game Booster didn't do/have. I like it because when I give the program to any friends or people that say their computer can't run a game, I think it gives them some feeling of ease knowing what it does when they first start it.

Lastly, although there are a lot of them, I think it would be nice to have maybe a list of suggestions of common processes/services across all operating software that can safely be shut down with no security interuptions.

Just came across this via MakeUseOf.com today. Will get it installed on my main PC tonight, just installed it on my works laptop to check it out. I see you have X-Fire in the recommended programs, any chance of adding Raptr? I've moved over to using that of late as it gives me easy access to all my gaming buddies whichever system they are on.

A few suggestions: :P

1. Options for pretty much everything GB2 does.

2. Adding games to a list (kinda like how the services are sat up when customizing)

3. Ability to start a game selected from the list of games after boosting(also an option to show the list at all in the options

4. Ability to add stuff to stop from the interface

5. Options to change to Windows Classic instead of Vista Basic

6. Option to not show stuff like Game drivers etc.

7. (Maybe) An option to stop explorer.exe (dont know if it will have impact on anything, but probably worth a try)

That was all the suggestions i have in mind, maybe i will have more later

All of this may be alot to ask for, but i would appreciate to have it in the program

(3. may seem a little weird, but what i mean is that you slide to boost then a list of games that you have added (to the list) will popup (if the option is set) then you choose one, the games launches and GB2 minimizes to tray)

I have a new one:

When restoring from gaming mode it would be nice to have it minimized.

Example: I restore from gaming mode and DAP pops up because it was started.

So a solution would be to have a option in the list to add stuff like /minimized

I prefer ventrilo and Xfire is just not necessary...so more options upon installation would be nice. Besides that, it's not a bad program it's still lightweight and does it's job.

Hi theman20,

At least, one of your suggestions (Ventrilo) has become a reality.:-D

Cheers.

Disable Certain Notifications

Overall, I was very pleased with the product. The fact that it made me aware of some of the driver updates available was very pleasing indeed. The only suggestion that I have for the program is to enable you to delete a suggested driver update or game necessity. It constantly has a message about a driver that I cannot update and a program that is not compatible for my operating system. I would like to be able to delete or disable the alerts for these, as they do not serve any purpose to my computer. Otherwise, I was impressed with the neatness and reliability of the program and found no other problems. It is a splendid program and I recommend it for anyone who wants their computer faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Great product. Can't believe it's free! I've been using this version after the past couple of days now, testing it to the max with many games. I like how quick and easy it is to use. :)

Have a couple of suggestions and I apologise now if it's already been mentioned elsewhere; regarding the Services that get stopped. Is there any way to include stopping services such as chat software? i.e. Windows Live (MSN), AOL, Yahoo, etc. Also, if playing off-line games (not multi-player online games) can the Internet connection be disabled?

Disabling Internet, Chat software (in my case, Windows Live) is something I normally do anyway but would be great if this could all come included with stopping of "services" in GB - basically one-click (as it is now with other services) and that's it.

Keep up the excellent work! :)

Hi muppetboy,

It is possible to do what you want in Game Booster 2.

Please edit the GameBooster.ini file to your wish

for Windows Vista/7 in folder:

C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Roaming\IObit\Game Booster 2

and

for XP in folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\{User Name}\Application Data\IObit\Game Booster 2

You can also see the white list of applications in WhiteList.ini file at the same folders.

You have to show the hidden files in folder options to see those folders/files.

You can find a lot of threads/posts for the discussion of the subject in Game Booster section of the forum.

Cheers.

Hi muppetboy,

It is possible to do what you want in Game Booster 2.

Please edit the GameBooster.ini file to your wish

for Windows Vista/7 in folder:

C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Roaming\IObit\Game Booster 2

and

for XP in folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\{User Name}\Application Data\IObit\Game Booster 2

You can also see the white list of applications in WhiteList.ini file at the same folders.

You have to show the hidden files in folder options to see those folders/files.

You can find a lot of threads/posts for the discussion of the subject in Game Booster section of the forum.

Cheers.

Thank you very much for your in-depth response. Excellent that GB is so versatile and easy to configure to suit individual needs.

Will also check out the other discussions too.

Thanks again. :D

Request: A function that creates a shortcut that runs GB, switches to gaming mode, runs game, when game exits, returns to normal, exits

might go something like this

Target: gamebooster.exe /streamlined [path to game]

Icon: [Path to Game]

TODO:

create /streamlined command line flag

create shortcut creation routine

Some ideas...

1. Make a Windows 7/Vista gadget, much like the one AVG just realeased. This would improve the ease of access by a great amount. It could just be a simple "on/off" switch, or you could a few extra things like "install any updates" (which could include GB client, drivers, and other "game essentials"), and an "add game to gamebox" button. You could fit the majority of this program's functions into a smaller, easily accessible package.

2. Work on the Gamebox. It's a great idea, but it needs some improvements. I don't see the necessity of having it separate from the client. Add an "add games to game box" menu on the main client. Then make the desktop box toggle-able. Also, you need make it compatible with Steam. Heck, give an option to have it turn on for all Steam games.

3. On the topic of Steam: once this is out of Beta (and more compatible with Steam), you should try and have GB2's client available for download off steam. This would not only make your product more widespread, it could (possibly) make updating easier.

This is a great program that's basic function makes it worth downloading. Adding these extra features would make it an absolutely vital download for any PC gamer.

The new 'Game Box' in version 2.0

Updated today and saw the new Game Box. I think it's a great idea, however, I think it would be better if it linked itself to the shortcut (mine are on my desktop, but wherever you add it from) and ran as a background service that starts up with the OS. That way I can keep my shortcut where it is, not have an extra box and bar on my desktop, and still have gaming mode switch on when I click it. I like the box, but I only want to see it when I have Game Booster open. So keep the box in Game Booster, allowing me to drag the shortcut there, but keep the shortcut in it's original destination. Just a thought. :smile:

Archived