IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AVG vs. Avast vs. Avira vs. MSSE!?

Which do you guys prefer? I have not been able to test anything, because every time I run either, they never find anything. And I don't consider myself enough of a computer expert to infect my computer on purpose. I'm guessing either one would be fine, considering that I apparently don't go anywhere dangerous, and they have never found anything. I'm a very visual guy, and I much prefer the UI of Avast!, anyone have a reason to use AVG? My brother is very loyal to AVG and I work with him, so I have to hear about it all the the time and makes it hard to decide. Thanks.

Hi there, erockin84,

I have been using the Avast free version for about five years and am more than happy with it. It updates automatically every day (with a verbal message as well) and as you say it has a nice GUI. Another plus is that it can perform a boot scan, if required. The only slight hassle is that you have to re-register it every year, but it is free and painless to do this. Twelve months ago, after being swayed by the many posts of praise for Avira, I uninstalled Avast and installed Avira. I must have been the unlucky one as I had no end of problems getting it to auto-update. I finally gave up and re-installed my trusty Avast.

Hi there, erokin84,

I have been using the Avast free version for about five years and am more than happy with it. It updates automatically every day (with a verbal message as well) and as you say it has a nice GUI. Another plus is that it can perform a boot scan, if required. The only slight hassle is that you have to re-register it every year, but it is free and painless to do this. Twelve months ago, after being swayed by the many posts of praise for Avira, I uninstalled Avast and installed Avira. I must have been the unlucky one as I had no end of problems getting it to auto-update. I finally gave up and re-installed my trusty Avast.

Thanks! I'm gonna keep everything as it is.

Set and Forget

At first I used AVG Free but the slowness of the update server meant that I would sometimes go days without an update. I don't know if this has changed but it was stated that the free version was linked to a slower server.

Then I used Avast for a long time and it is still one that I recommend to friends who have XP.

One of negatives of Avast Free is that if it found something through a scan it would sound a siren and stop the scan until you attended to it.

Since I like to start the scan then go have lunch or whatever this was of no use to me, but maybe this has been changed now.

For my friends who have Win7 I recommend MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)

My friends are PC users not PC lovers and they want Set and Forget so MSE is perfect for them and none have had any problems so far :smile:

MSE and Win7 seems to be a good combination, I have read many good reports and the 'bad' reports seem to be mostly coming from the just because I use Microsoft doesn't mean I like Microsoft camp

By the way, I use something that is definitely not Set and Forget but I like playing around with this stuff :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

this is what i see

Everytime I run a scan I see this... guess it could be worse... but it makes it hard to tell the difference between AV.

[ATTACH]5311[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5313[/ATTACH]

Edit: I'm embarrassed to have Vista, but I can explain... I have a computer with xp that I used to use to browse the internet and stuff, and I got the vista when it was new, because it had a dual core and better equipped for gaming, just had to throw a video card in. But anyway, I lost my other keyboard and mouse for the one with xp when I moved, and my laptop has 7, and I need to have the gaming one ready to go am I right?

[ATTACH]5312[/ATTACH]

I know no one cares, but here's my set-up.

what about Avast! v Avira? In your opinion...

avast updates more frequently, has a boot time scanner, several shields (file,web,p2p,instant message,network), gaming mode.

avira doesnt offer gaming mode, boot scanner, or the shields avast does, and doesn't update as well.

when going to a dangerous website, avast will cancel the connection. also i tested both with the "ecair test file" and avast warned me before it downloaded, avira did not.

*ecair the antivirus\antimalware test file*

avast

pyrath is on the ball avast is better but apart from the avast updates more frequently, and the has a boot time scanner, several shields, avast is crisper on the system , and avast seems to better at everything, avira is good but if i had to choose it would be avast.

ps i dont use eather .

Hi erockin84

That is incorrect... vista doesn't have a dual core... your machine does. You described parts of three different systems... whats up with that and what is your real question?????

"Edit: I'm embarrassed to have Vista, but I can explain... I have a computer with xp that I used to use to browse the internet and stuff, and I got the vista when it was new, because it had a dual core and better equipped for gaming, just had to throw a video card in. But anyway, I lost my other keyboard and mouse for the one with xp when I moved, and my laptop has 7, and I need to have the gaming one ready to go am I right?"

That is incorrect... vista doesn't have a dual core... your machine does. You described parts of three different systems... whats up with that and what is your real question?????

"Edit: I'm embarrassed to have Vista, but I can explain... I have a computer with xp that I used to use to browse the internet and stuff, and I got the vista when it was new, because it had a dual core and better equipped for gaming, just had to throw a video card in. But anyway, I lost my other keyboard and mouse for the one with xp when I moved, and my laptop has 7, and I need to have the gaming one ready to go am I right?"

Yes I meant that I bought the computer that had Vista, because the machine had a dual core, and better specs for gaming, and Vista was what it came with. And my real question was already answered, and that post was an extension of my original one. But you are right, I'm not sure why I posted that, it doesn't belong there.

reply AVG vs.Avast vs Avira

I have used AVG in the past.I used Avira very briefly.I installed my sisters McAfee.I have Netzero for my internet I got a free Norton disk with it.It said my license expired.I tryed to install AVG and it said it was not compatible.I am now using Avast and I am very happy with it.I would not use Norton again.I would never uninstall my advanced systemscare Norton suggested I do but I didn't.I would recomend installing Avast because it is free has good protection and is quick to download.

Norton Removal Tool ?

..... I got a free Norton disk with it.It said my license expired.I tryed to install AVG and it said it was not compatible ......

When you uninstalled Norton did you use the Norton Removal Tool

This tool should remove the Norton leftovers that a normal uninstall can leave behind.

If these leftovers are not removed then other anti-virus software installed afterwards might have problems and not run properly.

Edit: Where are my manners, welcome to the forum svlcek :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

svlcek hy and welcome!

I'm embarrassed to have Vista ,nothing wrong with it if its works well.

i never did like it as i had a lot of problems trying it..i do have 1 on a system

that works, and now only 1 xp der pack 3 ,the rest are now all Win7 ..but that means nothing ,if thy do not work the way i want..

so dont be embarrassed ,

as for av app i don't run any,but do scan the drives using

Alvira that sits on my usb drive,every now and then..on new files.i download ,other than that no ,but its not recommended !

i think a new user should run at least something..

i dont use them thy give me headache as i use my own os (cut) version.

and get to many false alarms..

i also run sand box.that keeps out the rubbish..

as for AVG i do not like it at all .but that has nothing to do with it..

if if works well USE IT..

itsmejjj

• 2 weeks later...

Avira ?? I like it..

I've not tried Avast, but I've been using Avira about 2 years now in all of my computers, and it seems to be doing a good job for me. It updates automatically daily.

A month or so ago, I put an old harddrive in one of my machines. (This was a drive I'd not used for about 8 years.)

Later when I ran Malwarebytes, I was surprised to see Avira was FIRST checking each file that Malwarebytes was scanning before it allowed Malwarebytes to scan it.

It found several viruses and alerted me, while stopping the Malwarebytes scan until I determined the fate of the virus.

Hi there wildwillie :smile:

There's nothing unusual about an antivirus jumping the way Avira did for you. You have to realize that antivirus engines monitor applications/files in real time, so when a certain infected file is accessed, it triggers the detection. What happened for you is simple : infected files were accessed/scanned by MBAM and that triggered an immediate response from Avira. It happens all the time. MBAM would have listed the file for repair/quarantine, but Avira was quicker and jumped ahead of the other one. If you had scanned the machine with MBAM while turning off the guard on Avira, it would have allowed a full scan without interruption. And if you had scanned the machine or drive with Avira first, which is always a good idea (antivirus first), then MBAM could have been run afterwards to pick up what Avira left behind.

===

AVG is bloated and not as efficient as Avira or MSSE ; they (AVG) have also partenered up with LimeWire which makes me sick.

Avast! is better than it was a year ago, but they still lag behind on detections and they really suck when it comes to submissions from users.

Avira or MSSE, as far as I'm concerned.

===

===

• 4 weeks later...

Archived