IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

"Optimize Memory" Behavior Since ASC 3.6.0

cindys

Just upgraded to ASC 3.6.0 (the latest build, as per prompt this morning). The upgrade was successful; however, I've noticed a difference in the behavior of one of the utilities SINCE the upgrade (and reboot).

Steps to reproduce the "issue":

Go to the system tray, right mouse click on the ASC icon.

In the context menu that appears, select Action | Optimize Memory.

Prior to the upgrade, following the above steps would result in a (background) optimization of the memory. Now, however, the window for the Smart RAM utility opens and (it appears) no memory optimization is occurring.

Is this a bug?

Thank you.

Hi cindys

As SmartRam opens you have to click the button Go! for it to start optimizing.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. what are your settings?

Just upgraded to ASC 3.6.0 (the latest build, as per prompt this morning). The upgrade was successful; however, I've noticed a difference in the behavior of one of the utilities SINCE the upgrade (and reboot).

Steps to reproduce the "issue":

Go to the system tray, right mouse click on the ASC icon.

In the context menu that appears, select Action | Optimize Memory.

Prior to the upgrade, following the above steps would result in a (background) optimization of the memory. Now, however, the window for the Smart RAM utility opens and (it appears) no memory optimization is occurring.

Is this a bug?

Thank you.

Hi cindys

As SmartRam opens you have to click the button Go! for it to start optimizing.

Cheers

solbjerg

First, thanks for the prompt reply!

Now, I understand what you said, but 2 points on this:

1) This is different from what used to happen when selecting "Action | Optimize Memory" from ASC tray icon RMB context menu, so is this (now) the expected behavior or do I have a problem?

2) Clicking "Go" only allows me to select the usual Smart RAM choices (Smart Clean or Deep Clean) -- nothing happens unless I select one of them. Further, upon selecting one of those a cleaning occurs, not an optimization. Are you telling me that all along, selecting "Action | Optimize Memory" really performed a (behind-the-scenes) cleaning? And if that is the case, which one did it perform?

p.s. what are your settings?

Can you be more specific as to which settings you want me to specify?

Hi cindys

What are your settings in SmartRam?

Does it start up with windows?

Does it optimize during idling?

Does it NOT free at too high CPU usage?

Does it utilize Smart Ram technology?

Cheers

solbjerg

First, thanks for the prompt reply!

Now, I understand what you said, but 2 points on this:

1) This is different from what used to happen when selecting "Action | Optimize Memory" from ASC tray icon RMB context menu, so is this (now) the expected behavior or do I have a problem?

2) Clicking "Go" only allows me to select the usual Smart RAM choices (Smart Clean or Deep Clean) -- nothing happens unless I select one of them. Further, upon selecting one of those a cleaning occurs, not an optimization. Are you telling me that all along, selecting "Action | Optimize Memory" really performed a (behind-the-scenes) cleaning? And if that is the case, which one did it perform?

Can you be more specific as to which settings you want me to specify?

Hi cindys

What are your settings in SmartRam?

Does it start up with windows?

Does it optimize during idling?

Does it NOT free at too high CPU usage?

Does it utilize Smart Ram technology?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi again. Below are my Smart RAM settings. However, I do not understand why these are relevant here because a) they are the same as they have always been (long before this issue started) and b) my issue is with what happens when you select Actions | Optimize memory (never before has it opened Smart RAM window -- that is what is different). Thanks again.

(checked) Run at Windows Startup

(checked) Automatically free RAM while system is idle

(checked) Do not auto free during high CPU and disk usage

(unchecked) Use smart RAM compression technology

Hi cindys

The question of relevancy only comes in if the settings had been different - I had no way of knowing if that was the case :-)

So in answer to your original question I suppose that it works as designed.

I am no expert on the subject as I only use the function once in a while at my own convenience. Perhaps someone else is more familiar with it :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi again. Below are my Smart RAM settings. However, I do not understand why these are relevant here because a) they are the same as they have always been (long before this issue started) and b) my issue is with what happens when you select Actions | Optimize memory (never before has it opened Smart RAM window -- that is what is different). Thanks again.

(checked) Run at Windows Startup

(checked) Automatically free RAM while system is idle

(checked) Do not auto free during high CPU and disk usage

(unchecked) Use smart RAM compression technology

Hi cindys

The question of relevancy only comes in if the settings had been different - I had no way of knowing if that was the case :-)

Fair enough; that's what I suspected.

So in answer to your original question I suppose that it works as designed.

I am no expert on the subject as I only use the function once in a while at my own convenience. Perhaps someone else is more familiar with it :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I don't think it is working as designed (unless the design has changed with this release), since this never happened before this release. In addition, it doesn't really make sense to open the Smart RAM window when requesting a memory optimization -- if that is what is going to happen, then you could just open Smart RAM directly (especially those of us who keep it running in the tray). Moreover, freeing RAM and optimizing it are two different things...

I use the Optimize Memory feature (described in the original post) many times throughout the day and really would like this to work again!

Anyway, thanks for your help solbjerg...

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Fair enough; that's what I suspected.

I don't think it is working as designed (unless the design has changed with this release), since this never happened before this release. In addition, it doesn't really make sense to open the Smart RAM window when requesting a memory optimization -- if that is what is going to happen, then you could just open Smart RAM directly (especially those of us who keep it running in the tray). Moreover, freeing RAM and optimizing it are two different things...

I use the Optimize Memory feature (described in the original post) many times throughout the day and really would like this to work again!

Anyway, thanks for your help solbjerg...

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Hi friend! It sounds like you know what you want and what you had before. I'm the least smart member on this forum. This is how I understand how Smart Ram works. If you have the options set like my screen shot, Smart Ram will free RAM according to how you have your settings checked. I never used it like you did, so I don't know how that worked.I just let Smart Ram release RAM when it chooses to do so. I usually have around 70% free RAM. It does very and changes all the time, depending on what is running. I know you already knew that. I can't tell you why it has changed and doesn't work like you say it use to because I never used it that way, but I'll bet someone on this forum will have a answer for you. To me optimize and free RAM are the same thing, but like I said, I'm not the smartest member on the forum. IObit is always changing things. I hope it's for the better, but maybe that isn't always true. It is doing exactly like you said; I tried your way and got your results. I'm sure someone will explain this better than myself very soon. Welcome to the forum and keep your questions coming. You will get answers here!!

Thanks Garybear.

At least now I know that it is not just my system/installation.

You may well be correct that Smart RAM memory clean (whether Smart or Deep) and the Action | Optimize Memory item from the RMB context menu of ASC tray icon are in fact the same -- I admit I don't know :oops: -- but I am not yet convinced that they are the same thing.

Even if they are the same thing, it appears that whereas before the optimization/cleaning happened automatically upon selecting Action | Optimize Memory, now it does not -- instead, the Smart RAM window opens. So, assuming ASC used to perform a cleaning for me automatically when I selected Action | Optimize Memory, I am still curious as to which type of cleaning it performed.

Thanks again for your input Garybear. And, if anybody else can say for sure if Action | Optimize Memory and the Smart RAM cleanings are the same (especially an IObit expert with knowledge of the inside workings:wink:) or provide additional insight that would be great!

Hi cindys,

I am neither an IObit expert nor with a knowledge of inside workings, but memory optimization terminology used in ASC is releasing of the allocated but unnecessary memory in RAM.

Optimization performed smart cleaning, so the new logic in optimization is giving the user the choice of smart or deep cleaning.

Also, this makes it easier to bring up Smart Defrag to the desktop for the ones who do not use the SmartRAM in systemtray, and would like to optimize the memory.;-)

I hope you find this information as answers to your questions.

Cheers.

Archived