IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

GB Causing Internet Problems

I've had Game Booster for a while, using it on occasion with no major issues (on Windows Vista SP2).

But yesterday, after using GB for a gaming session, I noticed that I was unable to load any web sites.

My first thought was that my connection had crapped out, but it was actually running fine: both Steam and Mumble were working perfectly (was able to send and receive messages). So then I figured the problem must be Firefox. So I tried Chrome, and then IE. Neither of those worked either. Then I tried turning off my antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) and firewall. Still didn't work.

This problem occurs every few minutes now, regardless of whether or not I use Game Booster. Any connected services I'm already using keep working, but I can't connect to any new things. There are two things that "fix" it: unplugging my ethernet and reconnecting it, or toggling Game Booster (and I say "toggling" specifically, not just turning it to Normal Mode: going FROM normal mode TO gaming mode fixes it too). Both of these "fixes" are very short-term, lasting just a few minutes before I find myself unable to make new connections.

I've rebooted multiple times, did a windows system restore to before the problem, tried the network diagnose and repair feature multiple times, cleared web history, ran CC cleaner, and made sure no one else on the network had the same the problem; but it won't stop coming.

I'm on a university network, and I'm quite certain this is a client software problem. At this point it seems very likely that Game Booster is either the cause or one of the causes, but I really don't know how to solve it. Any ideas?

EDIT: While writing this post, it happened again, but toggling GB didn't fix it this time. D:

Hi Masquatto

Please try writing services.msc in Run - go through the settings and correct those that are set "wrong".

Or copy the list (use the icon for that in the toolbar) and either insert it in the post or send it attached (possibly as a zip file)

Most probably some service setting has not reverted to the correct setting for some reason.

Cheers

solbjerg

I've had Game Booster for a while, using it on occasion with no major issues (on Windows Vista SP2).

But yesterday, after using GB for a gaming session, I noticed that I was unable to load any web sites.

My first thought was that my connection had crapped out, but it was actually running fine: both Steam and Mumble were working perfectly (was able to send and receive messages). So then I figured the problem must be Firefox. So I tried Chrome, and then IE. Neither of those worked either. Then I tried turning off my antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials) and firewall. Still didn't work.

This problem occurs every few minutes now, regardless of whether or not I use Game Booster. Any connected services I'm already using keep working, but I can't connect to any new things. There are two things that "fix" it: unplugging my ethernet and reconnecting it, or toggling Game Booster (and I say "toggling" specifically, not just turning it to Normal Mode: going FROM normal mode TO gaming mode fixes it too). Both of these "fixes" are very short-term, lasting just a few minutes before I find myself unable to make new connections.

I've rebooted multiple times, did a windows system restore to before the problem, tried the network diagnose and repair feature multiple times, cleared web history, ran CC cleaner, and made sure no one else on the network had the same the problem; but it won't stop coming.

I'm on a university network, and I'm quite certain this is a client software problem. At this point it seems very likely that Game Booster is either the cause or one of the causes, but I really don't know how to solve it. Any ideas?

EDIT: While writing this post, it happened again, but toggling GB didn't fix it this time. D:

Hi Masquatto

I am sorry - someone else will have to take over - my OS is XP

You could try looking into the recommended settings for your OS at Black Viper (try writing viper in the search option in the forum)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks for the timely response.

I really have no experience dealing with this program so I'll just give you the list to avoid breaking anything. :0

Attached in zip.

In some strange turn of events I fiddled with those options (pretty much just started up a bunch of processes, didn't really even change their automation) and rebooted and it seems fixed (fingers crossed, been online for about an hour now).

The lesson to be learned is apparently computers like messing with people.

Hi Masquatto

Yes refreshing settings often helps.

Actually it is almost unbelievable that so few errors happens during the many millions of operations/computations that the computer performs.

Good luck!!

Cheers

solbjerg

In some strange turn of events I fiddled with those options (pretty much just started up a bunch of processes, didn't really even change their automation) and rebooted and it seems fixed (fingers crossed, been online for about an hour now).

The lesson to be learned is apparently computers like messing with people.

Hi Masquatto

I am sorry!!

Are you also using ASC - specifically System Optimize?

If so please place "problems" you do not want "Optimized" in the Ignore list!!

Please read Usage of IObit Products (link in my signature)

Cheers

solbjerg

Turns out I spoke too soon. :( The problem's still here.

I tried all the things that looked relevant in the "safe" section of dark viper's chart but the problem persists.

Shouldn't've got my hopes up. :(

Turns out I spoke too soon. :( The problem's still here.

I tried all the things that looked relevant in the "safe" section of dark viper's chart but the problem persists.

Shouldn't've got my hopes up. :(

I actually used to have this problem back when I was still gaming, alt tabbing out of the game, I could open Firefox, and go to a website or two, then nothing. I never made the connection to game booster though, I assumed it was the patch for the game that I got at the same time. But I can confirm these results, if I'm correct in assuming that we have the same problem.

Edit: I have the same specs as he does too, vista/sp2. I can't say for sure, but at the time I'm 90% sure that I would have had AVG/ASC running. Also the only things we have that are the same are Firefox and Game Booster, I don't have steam or mumble.

Hi guys

If you are assuming correctly that the problem is caused by the settings in GameBooster you can isolate the culprit this way.

Try clicking away half the pre-chosen settings - if the same thing happens it must be one or more of those settings that can't be closed down.

Try clicking away half of those - then the next half of the batch holding the culprit - in very few tests you will have isolate what setting causes the problem and then never use that setting anymore - remove it from the list.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi guys

If you are assuming correctly that the problem is caused by the settings in GameBooster you can isolate the culprit this way.

Try clicking away half the pre-chosen settings - if the same thing happens it must be one or more of those settings that can't be closed down.

Try clicking away half of those - then the next half of the batch holding the culprit - in very few tests you will have isolate what setting causes the problem and then never use that setting anymore - remove it from the list.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

solbjerg

I can't seem to get it to do it at all, the only thing that is different is that I'm not alt tabbing out of a game that is connected to the internet, and I'm not going to pay for play time to figure it out, but I also don't need it now. So good luck Masquatto.

Edit: I also DO NOT have the latest version of game booster, I can't figure out how to update it:oops: I click ok, or download, or whatever it is, and it opens the ASC folder I can't find anything there that looks like it should update it. I suppose I can try a direct download from the website.

Archived