IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SmartDefrag Doesn't Show up in Taskbar

In the Taskbar options, I have Smart Defrag set to "Show icon and notifications" but the icon is not displayed.

It isn't even displayed on the Taskbar list when it is expanded by clicking on the carrot. It is displayed on the list when "Customize" is clicked.

Windows Task Manager shows "IObit SmartDefrag.exe *32" working and in memory (2,328K.)

System: Windows 7

Thanks,

Drew

Hi compupix

Have you tried toggling the settings?

Cheers

solbjerg

In the Taskbar options, I have Smart Defrag set to "Show icon and notifications" but the icon is not displayed.

It isn't even displayed on the Taskbar list when it is expanded by clicking on the carrot. It is displayed on the list when "Customize" is clicked.

Windows Task Manager shows "IObit SmartDefrag.exe *32" working and in memory (2,328K.)

System: Windows 7

Thanks,

Drew

Yes.

I just tried turning off "Minimize to system tray" hitting apply and then turning it back on again.

To do this I had to launch the application... as if it weren't running... there is no other way to get to it.

After re-engaging "minimize to system tray" and exiting the program... it still is not in the system tray.

Which settings do you suggest I try to toggle?

How far out of the program should I go between off and on's?

Thanks,

Drew

Ok Drew

Welcome in the forum!

Did you install this version "over the top" or was it your first SD install?

If it WAS over the top - you can try if a "clean install" sets it right. (you might even do that anyway) :-)

What are the settings you have chosen in the program?

Which OS do you use?

What other programs do you use?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. what you have running is the automaic defrag or the scheduled defrag, right?

I just tried turning off "Minimize to system tray" hitting apply and then turning it back on again.

To do this I had to launch the application... as if it weren't running... there is no other way to get to it.

After re-engaging "minimize to system tray" and exiting the program... it still is not in the system tray.

Which settings do you suggest I try to toggle?

How far out of the program should I go between off and on's?

Thanks,

Drew

Automatic not Scheduled

I've un-installed SmartDefrag and re-installed it. Neither was over the top of one that was already on the machine.

Settings...

Auto Defrag is Active

Enable Auto Defrag is checked

Pause Auto Defrag when resource usage exceeds 20% is checked

Start Auto Degrag when the system has been idle for 5 minutes is checked

Auto Defrag System volume was selected.... I just changed that to All volumes

(Last Auto Defrag: 2010-06-01, 12:06:00)

Schedule:

No drives are selected

Enable Schedule is NOT checked

Options:

General

Minimize to system tray when program is closed (yes)

Load automatically at windows startup (yes)

Automatically check for updates (yes)

Enable tooltip in system tray (no)

Language: English

Defragment:

Enable SmartSilent technology while defragmenting (yes)

Stop defrag while using battery (yes)

Do not display flash drivers, and solid-state drivers (yes)

Skip files loarger than 1GB (no)

System:

Dell XPS-9000

Windows 7

Programs:

Adobe Photoshop CS5

Adobe Bridege CS5 and more Adobe CS5 programs

Audacity 1.3 beta

Google Desktop Extreme

Google Desktop Search

Microsoft Office 2003

Paint.net

Post It Software Notes Lite

Power DVD Dx

PTLens

SmartLabel

TweakGDS

APC PowerChute Business Edition

Brother's Keeper

ColorVision

Spyder Express

Creative Audio Control Panel (and other Creative software)

Dell Dock

Dell Support

DxO Film Pack

DxO Optics Pro

Einstime

Fast Picture Viewer Code Pack

Ipswitch WS_FTP Pro

Irfan View

Klipfolio (not running)

LopeSoft FileMenu Tools

MediaMonkey (ugh)

Mozilla Firefox

Nikon Scan 4

Norton Ghost

PhonePlus

Picasa 3

Portrait Professional

Primo PDF

ProShow Gold

Quicken 2003

Roxio Easy CD/DVD Burning

SMART DEFRAG

Tiffen Dfx

Weather Watcher 5.6.48

WinAmp

Thanks,

Drew

Hi Drew

Perfect response!

Unfortunately I do not know all the programs you have listed, - but perhaps some other forum member does.

Did you after your uninstall of SD also delete the SD program folder? What we call a "Clean Install" ?

And the autodefrag seems to be working OK!

Your settings looks OK too.

If you right click "Start" in Windows and select Properties and then the process-line and then advanced - you can look for SmartDefrag and request that it is Always shown.

I am not sure that the automatic SD will show the icon, but you ought to be able to see the icon for launching the program with the settings you have.

Good luck - and thank you for the perfect response!

Cheers

solbjerg

I've un-installed SmartDefrag and re-installed it. Neither was over the top of one that was already on the machine.

Settings...

Auto Defrag is Active

Enable Auto Defrag is checked

Pause Auto Defrag when resource usage exceeds 20% is checked

Start Auto Degrag when the system has been idle for 5 minutes is checked

Auto Defrag System volume was selected.... I just changed that to All volumes

(Last Auto Defrag: 2010-06-01, 12:06:00)

Schedule:

No drives are selected

Enable Schedule is NOT checked

Options:

General

Minimize to system tray when program is closed (yes)

Load automatically at windows startup (yes)

Automatically check for updates (yes)

Enable tooltip in system tray (no)

Language: English

Defragment:

Enable SmartSilent technology while defragmenting (yes)

Stop defrag while using battery (yes)

Do not display flash drivers, and solid-state drivers (yes)

Skip files loarger than 1GB (no)

System:

Dell XPS-9000

Windows 7

Programs:

Adobe Photoshop CS5

Adobe Bridege CS5 and more Adobe CS5 programs

Audacity 1.3 beta

Google Desktop Extreme

Google Desktop Search

Microsoft Office 2003

Paint.net

Post It Software Notes Lite

Power DVD Dx

PTLens

SmartLabel

TweakGDS

APC PowerChute Business Edition

Brother's Keeper

ColorVision

Spyder Express

Creative Audio Control Panel (and other Creative software)

Dell Dock

Dell Support

DxO Film Pack

DxO Optics Pro

Einstime

Fast Picture Viewer Code Pack

Ipswitch WS_FTP Pro

Irfan View

Klipfolio (not running)

LopeSoft FileMenu Tools

MediaMonkey (ugh)

Mozilla Firefox

Nikon Scan 4

Norton Ghost

PhonePlus

Picasa 3

Portrait Professional

Primo PDF

ProShow Gold

Quicken 2003

Roxio Easy CD/DVD Burning

SMART DEFRAG

Tiffen Dfx

Weather Watcher 5.6.48

WinAmp

Thanks,

Drew

SmartDefrag System Tray Icon Visibility Cause

Suspected cause of the SmartDefrag System Tray Icon not being displayed:

Uninstalling SmartDefrag and re-installing without deleting the "IObit" and "IObit SmartDefrag" folders. There are 4 of them on my system. Probably one in particular caused the problem.

Fix:

1) turn off the minimize to system tray option

2) apply

3) turn it back on,

4) apply

5) re-boot

Thanks,

Drew

Reboot was needed ?

Glad you got it fixed :smile:

It looks like the only difference between what you did in post # 3 and post # 7 is the Re-boot Is that correct ?

Post # 3

I just tried turning off "Minimize to system tray" hitting apply and then turning it back on again. <snip>

Post # 7

Fix:

1) turn off the minimize to system tray option

2) apply

3) turn it back on,

4) apply

5) re-boot

Clean Install

Suspected cause of the SmartDefrag System Tray Icon not being displayed:

Uninstalling SmartDefrag and re-installing without deleting the "IObit" and "IObit SmartDefrag" folders. There are 4 of them on my system. Probably one in particular caused the problem.

I agree that a full Clean un-install (deleting folders etc) then install is the way to go. You can see how I do a Clean Install in This Post

I do a full Clean un-install, re-boot then install when any software starts doing weird stuff, if that doesn't fix it then I can start lookinng at compatability problems with other software etc

All the best, woz of oz

Hi Drew

That could very well be!

But does anyone do that??

I would wait or ask the program to close the computer after defragment.

Perhaps there is a problem there if a scheduled defrag is running without one remembering the chosen schedule and shutting down the computer in the middle of a defragment - perhaps even forcibly by holding the start button or pulling the plug.

If that is the case the problem does not lie with the program but with the users modus operandi.

But I only use the manual defrag method, have just tried the other settings in order to see if they work, and then back to manual defrag.

Not much bother in that - and then you know what is going on and can jugde for yourself if the fragment level is too high.

Cheers

solbjerg

I think I found another cause of the SmartDefrag System Tray icon disappearing... re-booting while SmartDefrag is defrag-ing.

Hi Drew

With the autodefrag I think that it should shut down by itself when activity is registered - but perhaps there is a little delay there?

Someone left a link here a while ago where you could see that fragmentation cost a little bit delay (milliseconds) but that the angle rose sharper at as fragmentation level reached 3% - and then even sharper and sharper as the fragmentation level rose further.

So with a high level of fragmentation the delay would be noticeable for users.

Therefore I usually wait for a fragmentation level at 2-3% before I run a defrag.

Cheers

solbjerg

It was doing an AutoDefrag.

No alerts were displayed... like those that are displayed when Windows wants to warn you about shutting down while a program is still running.

Thanks,

Drew

Hi enoskype

That's true!

But it presupposes that the user notice :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Just for an information:

When the Auto Defrag is going on, the icon in system tray is animated. (Ofcourse if SD is working as normal and if you have an icon there!!!)

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys :)

I can confirm that this is potentially a bug, when SmartDefrag is running on Windows 7. Although I can't confirm the exact cause, I do have Auto Defrag enabled - so I could well have shut the PC down, while a defrag was in progress.

I can say that this problem appears to fix itself - that is, sometimes the icon is present after a startup/reboot, sometimes it is not - but I have not changed any settings in either the OS, or SmartDefrag to bring the icon back. It *appears* to be random, which could support the theory you were discussing :)

For background info - I have my system tray icons set to "always display all icons and notifications on the task bar", and I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64. I have full Aero enabled.

Aside from the icon problem (which really isn't a big problem :)), SmartDefrag runs fine on Windows 7 and is far, far better than the "built in" system MS chose for this OS. Thanks for SmartDefrag and for your hard work - it's a great piece of software, very professional :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi dazman

It looks like you have updated the program "over the top" for some time (an old icon in your opening screen from previous installs)

Please try a "clean install"

Both concepts are described in Usage of IObit Products - links in my signature.

Good luck!

Cheers

solbjerg

Sure, here you go :-) System started without the SD icon present, and I launched the program from the desktop shortcut.

EDIT : Also as mentioned before, I have Windows set to always show all notifications and icons.

Hi dazman

It looks like you have updated the program "over the top" for some time (an old icon in your opening screen from previous installs)

Please try a "clean install"

Both concepts are described in Usage of IObit Products - links in my signature.

Good luck!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg,

I will indeed try this, but it isn't the cause of the missing system tray icon. That problem was present with version 1.4 (before installing v1.5), and that was a completely fresh install. Before using version 1.4, I didn't previously have SD installed.

Thanks for the reply :)

Hi enoskype,

The default theme for Windows? All I changed was the window border colour, and the background image - that shouldn't interfere with system tray icon behaviour. Also, I don't have systray icon problems with other applications. I'm using the standard theme on my machine at home too (the screenshot was from my work laptop), and I also have the SD icon problem with that machine.

OK dazman76, after looking to your attached image I thought it may be because of the theme change.

But I missed something last time, you are using UAC, and it may well be the reason.

Try closing UAC and see if it will show in your system tray.

Cheers.

p.s. UAC Universal Access Control, User Access Control :-)

Archived