IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System Optimization

Ted

Event Viewer has, for some time, been posting Information saying DCOM is unable to start. (ID 1005). After searching Google I found a recommendation to ensure Universal Plug and Play Device Host was not Disabled in Services. It was, so I set it to Manual. However, System Optimization in ASC 3 says it should be disabled. I've set ASC 3 to ignore it from now on.

Hi Ted

Yes, System Optimization focuses a little too much on saving resources in my opinion, but some may find it a good thing

This is why you should always check "problems" - at least there :-) - when running a scan - it has to be partly manual - at least the first few times!! (Also the first few times after a "Clean Install" ‼)

Cheers

solbjerg

Event Viewer has, for some time, been posting Information saying DCOM is unable to start. (ID 1005). After searching Google I found a recommendation to ensure Universal Plug and Play Device Host was not Disabled in Services. It was, so I set it to Manual. However, System Optimization in ASC 3 says it should be disabled. I've set ASC 3 to ignore it from now on.

Hi Ted!! Nice Work!!

Hi friend!! I've been getting that damn DCOM error for centuries. Thanks to your thread, I figured it out, and no longer do I get that error in event viewer. Plug and Play was enabled but that led me to SSDP which was disabled. DCOM error is not showing up any more YEA YEA. Thanks friend.===garybear

jelrikj

No problems, as yet. All sweet now.

=================================

solbjerg

Okay, thanks for that, will check any errors found a little more carefully in future.

garybear

Glad it was helpful for you too, Gary. My efforts were not in vain!

==================================================

jelrikj

No problems, as yet. All sweet now.

solbjerg

Okay, thanks for that, will check any errors found a little more carefully in future.

garybear

Glad it was helpful for you too, Gary. My efforts were not in vain!

==================================================

Hi friend!! this is how long I've been getting that error Apr 13th 2009. check the date on this thread. I don't get it any more and I also put it in ignor list on optimization.

Hi friends!!!

Hi friends!! You damn sure don't want to disable DCOM I did and restarted and My PC went crazy,. I couldn't get on the internet and It scared the pee out of me. I finally got DCOM started again and all is fine. I repeat do not disable DCOM That crazy Bxxxxxx Don't know what the hell he's talking about. Leave DCOM alone. Do what Ted says to do, and then leave DCOM running in services!!

Do not pay any attention to this link!!

http://www.updatexp.com/dcom-windows-xp.html Sorry I researched this. I should have been happy with Ted"s fix and forgot about DCOM. I know better now !!Thanks again my friend.

Hi friend!!

Hi, Gary,

So am I now. After reading all that I think it it may be wise to return things to the way they were. ASC's System Optimization was right after all.

Hi friend!! I think your fix is just fine. Lets see what the big dogs have to say about all this. Just don't mess with DCOM in services!! Let's just wait for the ones in the know to comment. I damn sure don't have a clue about all of this. This will give them some thing to do. I think they are bored any way.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BlackViper

I follow the BlackViper Safe recommendations for XP. No problems here :smile:

XP @ http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Vista @ http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Win 7 @ http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

When tweaking Services it must be remembered that Universal Plug and Play Device Host and Plug and Play are two different Services.

Many users have made the mistake of changing the wrong one :wink:

All the best, woz of oz

Safe is safe

More confusion: Black Viper's "Safe" recommendation for Universal Plug and Play Device Host is "Manual"!

Yes but in Tweaked and Bare-bones it is disabled.

Safe means you should never run into any 'problems' or get any messages.

The other categories are still safe in that your computer should start and operate but you might at some time get a message, in which case you could change the Service to the Safe setting.

Did you click on the Service name at BlackViper for a more detailed explanation ?

I set my XP to the BlackViper Tweaked settings for a while but I did not notice any real improvement in speed or stability over the Safe settings, maybe there was some improvment but I didn't feel it

Eventually I went back to Safe

I trust BlackViper so my recommendation is:

Use the BlackViper Safe settings

Tell Advanced System Care that is what you want

Don't think about it again unless absolutely necessary :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Yes but in Tweaked and Bare-bones it is disabled.

Safe means you should never run into any 'problems' or get any messages.

The other categories are still safe in that your computer should start and operate but you might at some time get a message, in which case you could change the Service to the Safe setting.

Did you click on the Service name at BlackViper for a more detailed explanation ?

I set my XP to the BlackViper Tweaked settings for a while but I did not notice any real improvement in speed or stability over the Safe settings, maybe there was some improvment but I didn't feel it

Eventually I went back to Safe

I trust BlackViper so my recommendation is:

Use the BlackViper Safe settings

Tell Advanced System Care that is what you want

Don't think about it again unless absolutely necessary :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi friend!!. Even The black Viper don't ***** with DCOM. Even the bare bones leaves DCOM in automatic along with Plug and Play, and that's just what I'm going to do. I don't know which Black Viper you searched , but my search has them automatic.==garybear

Different Services

Hi friend!!. Even The black Viper don't ***** with DCOM. Even the bare bones leaves DCOM in automatic along with Plug and Play, and that's just what I'm going to do. I don't know which Black Viper you searched , but my search has them automatic.==garybear

Hi gary, Ted and I are talking about Universal Plug and Play Device Host which is a different Service from Plug and Play

(I mentioned this in Post # 10)

More confusion: Black Viper's "Safe" recommendation for Universal Plug and Play Device Host is "Manual"!

Also, I have never mentioned DCOM because I believe it should be left alone :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hi woz!!

Hi gary, Ted and I are talking about Universal Plug and Play Device Host which is a different Service from Plug and Play

(I mentioned this in Post # 10)

Also, I have never mentioned DCOM because I believe it should be left alone :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Hey friend!! I'm not questioning you. I run XP3 and I don't see any Universal Plug and Play in services. That's all I'm saying!! Double click my screen shot and you will see Black Viper leaves what I'm saying in Automatic, and that's what I will do. I don't notice any difference either in the safe mode > I haven't tried the tweak mode, and probably won't. My Pc is doing just fine and I have a back up image ready to restore if I need to. Love you man.===garybear PS OK I found Uniersal and mine is manual, and I'll leave it there.Sorry I'm blind some times. I've learned alot from this thread. Thanks friends!!

Hi there, Woz,

Thank you for your advice. I take it then that your Universal Plug and Play Device Host is set to "Manual" and you have it in ASC's System Optimization's ignore List? If this is true and you've had no problems with this setting, then that's good enough for me.

Yep

...I take it then that your Universal Plug and Play Device Host is set to "Manual" and you have it in ASC's System Optimization's ignore List?

Yep and yep

If this is true and you've had no problems with this setting, then that's good enough for me.

When I first got my Netbook (my first ever computer) 18 months ago I was frustrated at the slow Boot (startup) time of about 2 minutes. I had always used Palm and they are ready to go in an instant.

I searched and researched and tried so many different settings for so many different things like Startup and Services

In the end I found that BlackViper had done the work for me and those Safe settings have been no problem since.

Advanced System Care - Startup Manager has taken care of my Startup stuff.

Services, Startup and a few other tweaks has resulted in 55 > 60 second Boot time and I am happy with that :mrgreen:

All the best, woz of oz

Black Viper?????

Hi Guys! I was wondering if You disable a service, will that give you more free RAM and Virtual memory, since they are not running any more. What is the difference between Processes and Services? Aren't they kind of connected??Does this just help your boot up time? My boot time is kind a slow, but I think it's because it takes a long time for my ISP to connect me to the internet. I'm always learning and asking questions. I sure do like this forum. I hope IObit doesn't kick me off. I've gotten pretty tough on them, but some one has to get their attention every now and then. I'm just trying to help them get better, and that's my way of doing it. They don't seem to respond to emails. ===garybear

upgrade to w7

Dont get any of these dcom errors after running Optimisation, only the 3 or 4 that sets system dump to disabled and stops error reporting, wonder if thier programing more towards 7 & 8? and letting XP ride of into the sunset

Hi, Woz,

Using Black Viper as a guide I've modified the settings for 13 services and told ASC to Ignore them. (this gives me a good record of the Services I've changed). However, I have about twenty other services running that Black Viper hasn't got listed, namely: ACDaemon, .Net Runtime Optimization Service, Automatic Live Update Scheduler, Google Update Service (gupdate), Google Updater service, INCD Helper, Installdriver Table Manager, Java Quick Starter, Live Update, Machine Debug Manager, Macrium Reflect Image Mounting Service, PC Tools Firewall Plus, PC Flash DeviceIO Control Service, Remote Packet Capture Protocol (experiment), SavScan, Seagate Sync Service, Service Layer, Windows Driver Foundation User-mode. Driver Framework, Windows Live Family Safety Service, Windows Media Player Network Sharing Device. A few of these I know are for programmes I've installed, so two questions: Can you recommend another guide to sort that lot out and secondly, do you get many Event Viewer errors with your settings?

Black Viper

Ted that's only for the services that came from dear Uncle Bill.I think all of you should install the free version of Anvir Task Manger.This will make everything perfectly clear regarding Services vs. Processes and how to take control of them.Actually,I think this old offer still works.I'm still getting updates from that installation.

Hi, detailer,

I think all of you should install the free version of Anvir Task Manger.

I'm ashamed to say that I have that installed, but never used it. It was a free giveaway (Version 6.2.0). It's supposed to have free updates until the end of this month, but I just get a message saying 30 day trial when I try to update. I'll have to learn how to use it, I guess.

I Searched

Hi, Woz,

Using Black Viper as a guide I've modified the settings for 13 services and told ASC to Ignore them. (this gives me a good record of the Services I've changed). However, I have about twenty other services running that Black Viper hasn't got listed, namely:. <Snip> A few of these I know are for programmes I've installed, so two questions: Can you recommend another guide to sort that lot out and secondly, do you get many Event Viewer errors with your settings?

I don't know of a guide for those Services, I searched and read what others had to say.

A lot of software thinks it is so important it needs to be always running in some way, some will even restart the disabled Service at a later time (when checking for update etc)

Bonjour (from iTunes/Apple) is a good example, it sits there waiting for you to plug in an Apple device then tells the computer you have plugged in an Apple device. Wow, how did we ever live without that.

Disable it, but like Arnie, it will be back

I never look at Event Viewer unless I have a problem, since I don't have any problems, I haven't looked in a long time.

I just checked Event Viewer and there was the can't start DCOM message but when I look in Services, DCOM is started ?

It's all a bit too confusing for me that's why I rely on BlackViper to be correct and leave it at that.

Aside from searching for the 3rd party software Services and Processes info that I mentioned above :smile:

All the best, woz of oz

Archived