IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Pc won't normally shutdown anymore.

blacksea

As the title says my computer wont shutdown any more if I press on 'turn off'. This is going on about 1 week. I also tried trough 'Task manager' and I even tried trough ASC with the 'Auto Shutdown'. None of them worked. Now i have to pres the 'turn on' button of the computer it self to shut it down, but I know that it is not recommendable. So now I don't know what to do and what has been the cause.

Blacksea

Shortcut ?

Edit: This works on my XP Netbook

I don't know what could have caused it or a solution for fixing it but I can give you the instructions for creating a Shutdown shortcut and see if that works.

To create the shortcut:

• Right click an empty space on the Desktop

• Select New

• Select Shortcut

• In the Wizard write:

shutdown.exe -s -t 0

Note: There is a space after:

shutdown.exe

-s

-t

You can then give the Shutdown command shortcut an icon which can then be put on the TaskBar, Pinned to the Start Menu or wherever.

All the best, woz of oz

Not sure what OS you are using. But if you are using Vista or windows 7.

You can go into 'Power Options' in the control panel and in there is a setting that says

'Choose what the power button does' perhaps it is set to 'Do Nothing'

It's the thing i can think of at this moment.

wrexe

someone on another forum with similar problems said he managed to fix it this way>

"To fix the problem. I changed registry key:

HKLM\software\microsoft\windowsNT\current version\winlogon Powerdownaftershutdown change this to 1 from 0.

Then hit the power button to shut it down. Bring it back up then test restart. Should work. This is assuming that there are no errors with shut down."

It's worth a shot :wink:

Good luck in finding a solution if this doesn't work my friend.

wrexe

Hi blacksea

Have you tried a chkdsk?

Have you tried sfc /scannow in Run?

Is safe reboot necessary?

Have you checked your services?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi wrexe,

Thanks, but i'm using XP.

Ps: Wozofoz, I'll post it when your suggestion has worked.

Cheers

Blacksea

Hi blacksea!!

As the title says my computer wont shutdown any more if I press on 'turn off'. This is going on about 1 week. I also tried trough 'Task manager' and I even tried trough ASC with the 'Auto Shutdown'. None of them worked. Now i have to pres the 'turn on' button of the computer it self to shut it down, but I know that it is not recommendable. So now I don't know what to do and what has been the cause.

Blacksea

Hi friend!! I have XP3. This is how I have mine optioned. I don't know if this will help you ,but works for me!! If I press the button on my tower, I will get the second attached screen shot. Then I can chose what I want to do.===garybear PS If I continue to hold in the power button , then my PC will turn off, but I don't like to do that unless I have to.

Hi guys, here is a definite shutdown utility: Shutdown.exe a zip file by MS-MVP Andrej Budja.

It will shutdown Windows and powerdown the PC.

Please note that it is not the MS Windows utility with the same name.

You can use commandline commands.

After you place this utility in the command prompt folder, the commands for a shutdown, restart, or hibernate (respectively), each without a time delay, would be:

shutdown=> shutdown -u -t 0

restart=> shutdown -r -t 0

hibernate=> shutdown -h -t 0

I would advise to put the file for shutdown to: C:\Documents and Settings\{User name}\shutdown.exe

Create a shortcut on the desktop for shutdown.exe,and change the target of the shortcut to: "C:\Documents and Settings\{User name}\shutdown.exe" -u -t 0

Cheers.

Hi wozofoz,

I tried what you have said and now I have a shortcut on my desktop. But unfortunately that didn't work. The only thing what happens when I 'try' to shutdown is that some applications on the tray close, but not all of them. Normally if you shutdown your computer, you'll see that all the applications will close. But when I try it, only msn and is360 closes as far as I know. But thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers.

Blacksea

Hi Solbjerg,

Yes I tried both of them. And no safe reboot is not necessary.

And you asked me to check my services. I really don't know what to check about it. I don't know what services will have something to do with the shutdown of my computer.

Cheers

Blacksea

Hi enoskype,

I will try yours also, but the thing is that I just want to normally shutdown my computer and I don't get it why I'm not able to shutdown it any more. But what I do remember is that it happend about when I restored my computer to a earlier time. Don't know if that have caused this issue?

Cheers

Blacksea

Hi enoskype,

I have downloaded the file and did what you suggested. But also that didn't worked. Again only msn and IS360 closed them selfs and nothing happend after that. But to be sure if I did correctly I have taken screenshots of what you suggested and maybe you'll see something I did wrong.

Blacksea

a last resort

list you programs, then delete one and test shut down, reinstall and try next one.

very long winded but a corrupt hidden file in a program may be preventing shutdown, a few years back a few av programs were know for this.

another option check tasks running in task manager, google them to see what programs they are related to before stopping them.

Archived