IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

help me with corrupt files missing from sfc scan!

jsr27

hey when i run a sfc /scannow the results say some files are fixed but there is still corrupt or missing system files that it couldnt repair. i got some info from the web that says if you pop in the original OS disk which is vista that when you run sfc /scannow it will repair the OS files from the disk. it didnt work or either im doin it wrong! anyones help will be much appreciated! thanks:mrgreen:

Hi jsr :smile:

Yes, it "should" replace missing or corrupt protected system files, when the DVD is in the tray.

I have a few questions for you :

- Which files are corrupt/missing and how do you know ?

- When did this start ? After an infection maybe ?

- How is the machine running right now ?

===

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/system_file_checker.htm

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

you may want to read this link hope its of use to you..?

itsmejjj

and i see so sad, already is helping you as i also am posting this link.

as well .

ok he will Gide you along...

itsmejjj

Good links there jjj :wink:

After reading that, I guess it's possible that our user hasn't run the command from an elevated command prompt. Or the files are really corrupt. Looking at that CBS.LOG (link #1) might be good, too.

could a virus be corrupting your files preventing SFC from repair?

your windows could be so badly damaged it is beyond the scope of SFC.

Try reboot with the windows disc in the tray and opt for repair.

last resort reformat and fresh install unless you have a good backup clone or image.

i presume you already tried system restore.

Hi SS :wink:

That's why I asked if he had battled with an infection lately ; they can cause serious havoc.

A repair install is rather drastic, so I'd wait to hear from our member first, whether an infection is behind this or not. But yeah, it may come to that.

As long as the machine boots up, we can check a few things before making a decision.

===

@enoskype : that's possible also. I haven't played with sfc on Vista yet (or Win7), just XP. Service Packs can throw it off.

@SS : yes, going to Windows Update after sfc and also after a repair is a must.

I'm still thinking infection for the member here though. If that's the case, some of the malware removal tools can repair or replace files, if needed. So let's wait...

===

reply- about sfc corrupt files

ok im gonna start at the begining. im sure the story will help you help me. i have ran all my scans in elevated admin mode. about two weeks ago my dell inspiron 1525 with windows vista home premium 32bit the hard drive had to be replaced. the boot manager was missing is what dell said and hard drive had to be replaced. so they sent a guy to my house and replaced it . the new hard drive already had my os installed so it had to self extract. took a few minutes and its done. about a week after i was just performing routine mantainence and ran an elevated scf /scannow and it said it fixed some files but there were still corrupt system files and to view cbs logs it said something like the windows installer was missing files and i think the files were msiexec.exe mui:-D

Archived