IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

"Favorites" (Bookmarked sites) disappeared [Fixed by System Restore]

--mom--

After working for hours (with help from a member of the forum) today, we rid my computer of a very overwhelming "Fake Antivirus' problem. I am so relieved to have my computer working again that if this problem cannot be fixed, it's worth it. However, if someone has some idea how to get my 'Favorites' back (or how to make that feature work again so that I can bookmark sites in the future), I would greatly appreciate it.

The 'Favorites' are still listed up there, but they no longer work. And, if I try to bookmark a site, it puts it up there, but the new 'favorite' won't work.

I notice that the little icons in front of each 'favorite' are now a little box with the blue stripe across the top and the red and blue markings within the box (I think it's the symbol that comes up when the computer doesn't know which program to open something with???).

I am running Windows XP.

Thank you for any help anyone can give me. :-)

Hi --mom--,

Please go to : http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

and downlad : URL File Association Fix

Double click the .reg file after extracting it to your chosen place (Example: Desktop).

If you find any other file association is broken, you can choose the relevant download from the above link.

Please give feedback as you always do.:-D

Cheers.

Fixed with a 'Restore to an earlier point'

Thank you for your quick reply, enoskype. :-) After I posted my problem with 'Favorites' (and I promise that I DID a search on the problem and read the various advice sites before I posted my question here) ... I had this brilliant idea to simply try doing a 'restore' to a point last week before I ever got this virus. It restored my 'Favorites' and the feature that allows me to bookmark.

Great :idea:, that was a better solution.

My advise would be to start with Windows and keep IS360 in the System Tray all the time.

Apart from other malware, this will give you real-time protection to those rogueware programs also.

Cheers.

Archived