IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

USB BackUp Fragmented ?

Hi Toppack

How does the drive information in IObit's System information tools stack up to that?

How is it do you think that there is a difference - all applications should get the same info I would expect?

Can it be that one measures the temperature at precisely the time you ask it to (and possibly by that action make the computer work harder) and that the other one takes an avarage of for example the last 5 minutes?

I mean that if you run the hdd scan first it then generates a bit of heat that the cmos then reports?

Cheers

solbjerg

I just noticed that there is a difference in the reported hard-drive Temperature in the 'HDDScan' utility from temp reported in the system cmos firmware.

HDDScan is 2 to 3 degrees C lower than cmos. Why I don't know, since you would think they would be reading the same source?

I don't know which is more accurate, but probably the cmos.

I thought I should post this Info for anyone using the 'HDDScan' utility, since I suggested it.

Other than that it appears to be reporting accurate data.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can it be that one measures the temperature at precisely the time you ask it to (and possibly by that action make the computer work harder) and that the other one takes an avarage of for example the last 5 minutes?

That is Very Possible, I just don't have enough programming Info on the two.

I'll try to get other Temp data to compare.

I've only recently started monitoring hard-drive Temp, since I recently learned how much High temp can shorten Life-span of the new, smaller and compact drive designs. Especially hybrid drives.

Hi Toppack

How does the drive information in IObit's System information tools stack up to that?

Actually I did Not realize the 'System Information' utility in ASC included drive temp, until now. :oops:

Since you said it was there, I looked until I found it. :grin:

It appears to be reading the same as HDDScan, so maybe the cmos utility Does average the readings?

hi Toppack

Or it could be that the cmos reports the highest temperature it has measured today?

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. :-) CMOS → Centigrade Messuring Operational System ?? :-) :-)

Actually I did Not realize the 'System Information' utility in ASC included drive temp, until now. :oops:

Since you said it was there, I looked until I found it. :grin:

It appears to be reading the same as HDDScan, so maybe the cmos utility Does average the readings?

Hello guys,

If anybody is concerned about the heat and cooling of his PC, I would suggest to use the free program SpeedFan.

Although it is a bit professional, it has very good features including adjusting the speeds of the fans.

Also you can get online information about the health of your HDs.

I have been using it with great success in the PCs and Laptops with/without heating problems.

Works for 64x bits too.

Haven't we all gone a bit off topic?;-)

Cheers.

I have version 4 of 'SpeedFan' and if it reports hard-drive temp I've Not been able to find where it is, but I see that there has been changes made to it (4.42) and their discription now says it does, so I'll download the latest and check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

It can be safely downloaded here:

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

Yep, we're getting off my original topic, but I didn't think this slightly related Info should require an additional thread. At least it's Still about computer software. :lol: LOL :lol:

Well, I installed version 4.42 of 'SpeedFan' and I Still can't find any temp readings for hard-drives.

(It has not changed much from the version I had before)

They may be there, but they are Not labeled as hard-drive temps, and I'm unable to positively determine what each temp reading is for?

I think it's impossible to match a specific temp reading to a specific sensor or drive since each make and model of motherboad reports all those readings Differently.

So therefore they can Not label them properly.

Hi Toppack

By me it says HD0 27C, HD1 25C, HD2 26C right now just after powering up

This is in the opening window, - you can see it too - other places.

HD0 is my harddisk that holds my C: drive and 27°C will rise about 10° when the computer reaches its normal working temperature.

° = Alt+0176 (numbers on numberpad) or U+B0 (hex 11*16+0 = 176) and place the cursor right behind the zero in the hex number and press Alt+x in fx. WordPad or Word.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, I installed version 4.42 of 'SpeedFan' and I Still can't find any temp readings for hard-drives.

(It has not changed much from the version I had before)

They may be there, but they are Not labeled as hard-drive temps, and I'm unable to positively determine what each temp reading is for?

I think it's impossible to match a specific temp reading to a specific sensor or drive since each make and model of motherboad reports all those readings Differently.

So therefore they can Not label them properly.

Have you tried HWMonitor ?

I remember using HWMonitor back in the Windows-98 days, but have not tried it recently. I Don't remember if it monitors HD temps? I assumed it would not work with 64-bit OS, since it's been around so long?

I'll try to check it out, Thanks

Hi Toppack

By me it says HD0 27C, HD1 25C, HD2 26C right now just after powering up

This is in the opening window, - you can see it too - other places.

I've tried it on 3 new computers with MSI motherboards and None display the HD# labels in SpeedFan.

There's a long column of temps and speeds but No HD# lables, several are labled TEMP# and several REMOTE#.

(It just can't translate the temp & speed data for all the new motherboard chipsets)

I remember using HWMonitor back in the Windows-98 days, but have not tried it recently. I Don't remember if it monitors HD temps? I assumed it would not work with 64-bit OS, since it's been around so long?

I'll try to check it out, Thanks

I found that there is now a 64-bit version of HWMonitor, but I can Not connect to download website for some reason? I'll try it again later.

Anyone know if it displays hard-drive temps correctly for all motherboards?

http://www.windows7download.com/win7-hwmonitor-64-bit-/download-hvqbfppb.html

At the CPUID site I could download 1.17 setup, english (installation, includes 32 and 64-bit binaries)

They also have ZIP portable

All the best, woz of oz

I GOT It!

Thanks

I think HWMonitor is my Favorite so far.

It displays a great deal of Info, in an easy to read way, and it also lables the hard-drives with the model number, not just a HD#, so it's easier to tell which drive you are looking at. And the 64-bit version has No problems with my motherboards.

Oops! I found a problem with HWMonitor :-(

It does Not see my external USB drives.

Only the internal SATA drives.

Evidently it Does Not look for Any USB devices? :sad:

Hey, I just realized that I'm now back to the original 'USB hard-drive' topic of ths thread! :-)

I found software that will monitor external hard-drives thru USB port.

(Evidently Not many will do that)

It's called 'AIDA64', Version 1.20.1150.

It's not free. ($40. for home edition, $80. for business edition which includes network manager)

(formerly called 'Everest', which is no longer available)

It's a complete system Info package.

It will only read temp info from new drives with SMART capability tho.

There is a 30 day trial download.

IObit may want to add this capability since it's a growing need and not widely available?

FYI,

Last Free Everest home edition 220 is available for download @ HERE.

Cheers.

I had tried the older free 'Everest'.

Altho it sees the USB drives as logical-drives (not physical drives), it does not return any SMART data from the drives, with my test computer. That may be because I have 64-bit OS?

It does provide a great deal of Useful Information about system, altho there are many other utilities that do that just as well, if not better.

Well 'HDDScan' is back to being my favorite Free external hard-drive temp monitor.

It's Not real easy to use, if you have multiple drives, since you must select each drive individually. (all can not be displayed together for comparison)

It does display All the SMART data for All drives tho.

This quote is from 'Wikipedia', which I found when trying to find more Info on SMART technology.

This is Very True. :roll: (My Seagate and Western-digital drives report different data)

" Although an industry standard exists among most major hard drive manufacturers, there are some remaining issues and much proprietary "secret knowledge" held by individual manufacturers as to their specific approach. As a result, S.M.A.R.T. is not always implemented correctly on many computer platforms, due to the absence of industry-wide software & hardware standards for S.M.A.R.T. data interchange "

Well, I'm still having a minor problem caused by not being able to run SD on my Back-Up drive.

I had assigned the back-up drive Letter to be B:

(I thought it would be Cool to have it B for Back-up). :-D

But since B: drive is the First one in the List of drives, it is automaticly Checked as the default drive to be defraged.

So, I have to be careful to Remove the Check mark and check other drives before starting any defragmentation.

(I certainly can't do any Auto or Boot defrags, when the external drives are turned on)

I've not forgotten to do that yet but I'm afraid it might happen and Trash that drive again.:cry:

I could change the drive-letter to Z: or something, but I'm Hopeing that problem will be Fixed Soon in v2, so I'll wait about doing that for a while longer.:roll:

Hi Toppack

Z-mas stocking sounds good! :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, I'm still having a minor problem caused by not being able to run SD on my Back-Up drive.

I had assigned the back-up drive Letter to be B:

(I thought it would be Cool to have it B for Back-up). :-D

But since B: drive is the First one in the List of drives, it is automaticly Checked as the default drive to be defraged.

So, I have to be careful to Remove the Check mark and check other drives before starting any defragmentation.

(I certainly can't do any Auto or Boot defrags, when the external drives are turned on)

I've not forgotten to do that yet but I'm afraid it might happen and Trash that drive again.:cry:

I could change the drive-letter to Z: or something, but I'm Hopeing that problem will be Fixed Soon in v2, so I'll wait about doing that for a while longer.:roll:

Archived