IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

USB BackUp Fragmented ?

Hi Toppack

yes the A drive was the first floppy drive B the second if one had it, perhaps the computer still has that information stored inside??

Cheers

solbjerg

:lol:

Somehow I Knew you were going to Say that. :wink:

Merry, Z-mas to you, Too :!:

I suppose a Z: drive can be Just as Cool as a B: drive. :-D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Windows-7 the B: drive is No longer reserved for a Floppy-drive, like it was in older operating-systems. (A: drive is still reserved tho)

B: can now be assigned to any drive, (except the primary-active drive which has to be C: of course).

SD just puts B: at top of list, which is to be expected.

For anyone wishing to change their Drive Letters, the path to that utility in W-7 is:

Control-Panel, Administrative-tools, Computer-Management & then Disk-Management.

Then right-click on drive you want to change and select 'Change drive letter and path..' from menu.

(I put a shortcut Icon to 'Computer Management' on the Desk-top screen, of my testing computer, since I use it so much to test new hard-drives, etc.)

I desided that if I Waited for the Back-up files problem to be fixed, I may be too Old to Care, so I changed that drive's letter to R:

R: for 'Restore', since actually that's what the drive's primary purpose is.

To Restore lost or damaged files or programs,.:grin:

Hey, R: is Almost as Cool as B: is. :lol:

Hi Toppack

Cool as Bertha as Donald would have said :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I desided that if I Waited for the Back-up files problem to be fixed, I may be too Old to Care, so I changed that drive's letter to R:

R: for 'Restore', since actually that's what the drive's primary purpose is.

To Restore lost or damaged files or programs,.:grin:

Hey, R: is Almost as Cool as B: is. :lol:

It looks like this problem has been Fixed in SD 2-beta v1.1 :grin:

(Does Not fragment compressed Back-up files)

I'm still concerned how SD is handleing other non-compressed files, on same drive, tho :?:

(I'll try to do more testing to determine what's Happening there.)

I've been asking my computer-geek friends, if any of them regularly do complete system Back-ups or not and surprizingly I've found none that back-up everything.

(when I mentioned that SD will now bypass Back-up files)

I also don't remember anyone else saying they did back-ups in this Forum.

This seems very strange to me, since it to be fairly easy insurance, to not lose all your data.

I know that large businesses Do, and it seems to be the Smart thing to do.

Is there no one out there that has seen this problem and needs for it to be completely corrected, including the 'Un-Movable' message, for other files, I'm now seeing :?:

I really appreciated it being addressed in SD 2-beta v1.1, but now I'm wondering why so many users do not feel the Need to do Back-ups, when Microsoft spent so much time and effort putting Backup & Restore into their Operating Systems?

Hi Toppack,

Even for non-business users of computers I think to do a regular backup is definitely the best practice, especially if a person has anything s/he values and would not want to lose. A backup could save a person from possibly experiencing a lot of grief later on. And yet, still, I have continued to put it off "'til later." Procrastination is alive and well, and often has it's say and way. :roll:

So for me, although there is a need, I suppose it is not a pressing enough need - 'til the unthinkable happens! And of course, then it may be too late. :shock:

You know I think I 'may' do a backup tomorrow. . . . ;-)

Have a good day Toppack.

Laurence

Procrastination is alive and well, and often has it's say and way. :roll:

You know I think I 'may' do a backup tomorrow. . . . ;-)

:lol:

Procrastination is a very descriptive word, but I use much more Negative words when I'm talking to my Geek-buddies. :lol:

I once had a Hard-drive that Self-destructed (back in the Windows-95 days), so I know what it Feels like to have to start over again.

Archived