IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Memory Usage Of Taskbar Icon

Tutty

Hi,

I am currently using the Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal - Version 2.5.7.833 which is the most recent version. Overall I am very happy with the improvement in my computers performance as a result of using this free program which has many useful features.

I wish to raise an issue regarding the Memory usage of the Taskbar Icon, I currently have Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 configured to load Automatically on Windows Startup(Recommended Setting) and to be Minimized to the System Tray when the program is closed(Recommended Setting). Having the program configured this way results in quick opening of the program via clicking the Desktop or Taskbar Icon.

However when I opened the Windows Task Manager>Processes Tab I noticed that the Memory Usage for Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 Awcl.exe was 26,000K, at other times the Memory usage can be as high as 33,000K. As Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 has NO Auto Care Options available(Only available when you upgrade to the paid for Professional Edition), It is not automatically monitoring or doing maintenance on your computer in real time. I feel that 26,000K to 33,000K is an excessive amount of Memory Usage for a program that is not operating in real time. It seems that the Taskbar Icon is responsible for most of this Memory usage as when I right click on the Taskbar Icon and Exit the program of course the Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 Awcl.exe Memory usage completely stops.

In comparsion the Windows Task Manager informs me that Windows Defender Anti-Spyware uses about 23,000K of Memory and that program has its real time Anti-Spyware functions monitoring my system permanently, Firefox uses on average between 30,000K to 35,000K of Memory and ThreatFire uses 8,000K. I also use the Free AVG Anti-Virus,Free AVG Anti-Spyware(No real time protection),AVG Anti-Rootkit,WebWasher, ThreatFire and CCleaner.

I have an older model computer which has an Intel Celeron 2.26Ghz processor, 512MB of RAM, 80G Hard drive and I am using Windows XP, Service Pack 2 and due to the financial restraints of being on a limited income I can not yet afford to upgrade to a newer more powerful computer with more RAM and a faster processor. So I have chosen to use high quality freeware security and utility software which is not bloated with uneeded features and does not adversely affect my computers performance

I have tried configuring Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 so that it is not loaded Automatically when Windows starts or so that it is not minimzed to the System Tray when the program is closed, But when it is configured that way it takes about 20 to 30 seconds for the program to start after clicking the Desktop Icon which is very annoying as I like to run Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 on a regular basis to maintain my computer, I also use it after browsing each Internet browsing session to Perform a Privacy Sweep, clean out any Junk files and do a quick Spyware Scan etc.

I also have noticed that the Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 Spyware scan function is very fast. This would seem to indicate that it is only performing a very superficial Spyware scan of the computer system, most other dedicated Anti-Spyware products take a lot longer to do thorough check of your computer. I would like to see some independent testing done on its detection and removal of Spyware Infections. I have also noticed on your website that your company intends to release a product called "Spyware Defender" and I would like to know when this product is scheduled to be released.

Tutty

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I am currently using the Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal - Version 2.5.7.833 which is the most recent version. Overall I am very happy with the improvement in my computers performance as a result of using this free program which has many useful features.

I wish to raise an issue regarding the Memory usage of the Taskbar Icon, I currently have Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 configured to load Automatically on Windows Startup(Recommended Setting) and to be Minimized to the System Tray when the program is closed(Recommended Setting). Having the program configured this way results in quick opening of the program via clicking the Desktop or Taskbar Icon.

However when I opened the Windows Task Manager>Processes Tab I noticed that the Memory Usage for Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 Awcl.exe was 26,000K, at other times the Memory usage can be as high as 33,000K. As Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 has NO Auto Care Options available(Only available when you upgrade to the paid for Professional Edition), It is not automatically monitoring or doing maintenance on your computer in real time. I feel that 26,000K to 33,000K is an excessive amount of Memory Usage for a program that is not operating in real time. It seems that the Taskbar Icon is responsible for most of this Memory usage as when I right click on the Taskbar Icon and Exit the program of course the Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 Awcl.exe Memory usage completely stops.

In comparsion the Windows Task Manager informs me that Windows Defender Anti-Spyware uses about 23,000K of Memory and that program has its real time Anti-Spyware functions monitoring my system permanently, Firefox uses on average between 30,000K to 35,000K of Memory and ThreatFire uses 8,000K. I also use the Free AVG Anti-Virus,Free AVG Anti-Spyware(No real time protection),AVG Anti-Rootkit,WebWasher, ThreatFire and CCleaner.

I have an older model computer which has an Intel Celeron 2.26Ghz processor, 512MB of RAM, 80G Hard drive and I am using Windows XP, Service Pack 2 and due to the financial restraints of being on a limited income I can not yet afford to upgrade to a newer more powerful computer with more RAM and a faster processor. So I have chosen to use high quality freeware security and utility software which is not bloated with uneeded features and does not adversely affect my computers performance

I have tried configuring Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 so that it is not loaded Automatically when Windows starts or so that it is not minimzed to the System Tray when the program is closed, But when it is configured that way it takes about 20 to 30 seconds for the program to start after clicking the Desktop Icon which is very annoying as I like to run Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 on a regular basis to maintain my computer, I also use it after browsing each Internet browsing session to Perform a Privacy Sweep, clean out any Junk files and do a quick Spyware Scan etc.

I also have noticed that the Advanced WindowsCare Personal 2 Spyware scan function is very fast. This would seem to indicate that it is only performing a very superficial Spyware scan of the computer system, most other dedicated Anti-Spyware products take a lot longer to do thorough check of your computer. I would like to see some independent testing done on its detection and removal of Spyware Infections. I have also noticed on your website that your company intends to release a product called "Spyware Defender" and I would like to know when this product is scheduled to be released.

Tutty

My computer doesn't differ much from yours, actually only RAM where I have 1.5 Gb.

The upstart time for my AWC is max 10 seconds with the same settings.

About the spyware scan: You can read about it in the User manual, but basicly it only checks for spyware by comparing the list of some 30.000 addresses with the files on your computer, that's the primary reason for for the speed. The new one that is coming soon will probably do a much more thorough job and will then probably take longer to check for spyware.

Cheers

Hi solbjerg,

The main point I am trying to make in my posting regarding the Memory Usage of the Adavanced WindowsCare 2 Personal is that I find it very odd indeed that a software program which is designed to improve the performance of most computers and which is NOT actively monitoring your pc or performing any Real-Time Protection has a Task Bar Icon which has very heavy Memory of 26,000k to 33,000k for a simple little Icon which simply sits down there on the Task Bar and is NOT actually doing anything at all.

I am aware you may feel that I am complaining about a minor issue.

But as I have pointed out in my original posting many other security software programs installed on my pc which are actively monitoring and protecting my pc from various threats have a lower Memory Usage.

I really do feel the technical guys involved in the creation and development of this software should take a look at the Memory Usage of this simple little Task Bar Icon which currently consumes more Memory than my Anti-Virus/Anti-Syware programs.

I really do want to know why such a little Task Bar Icon which apparently has no other function than sit on the Task Bar and do nothing is using such a lot of Memory if this a design flaw then I feel action should be taken to minimize the Memory Usage of this Task Bar Icon as soon as possible.

After all let us face the fact that Windows AdvanceCare 2 Personal is designed to enhance a computers performance and it should NOT be using excesive amounts of Memory on a simple Task Bar Icon which is not doing anything at all except sit down there on my Task Bar.

Once again I must point out that having Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal not loading up Automatically on Windows Start Up or having set to be minimized to the Task Bar(System Tray) simply results in the program taking to long to appear.

In regards to your comments regarding the Spyware Scan Component of Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal, I personally feel that this software should truly focus on its main purpose of enhancing computers performance and apart from the Spyware Removal scanning component

it is currently doing this in a very thorough manner.

I do feel that you should NOT incorporate design features which do not perform in a thorough and effective manner.

The Spyware Scan and removal function is obviously very limited in its capabilities. I am sure most users of your software would strongly prefer your software to perform ALL its functions effectively and in a competent manner. There is a old saying "A jack of all trades is a master of NONE!" I really do not want Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal to become bloated with program features that do not achieve excellent standards of performance.

I strongly support your companys development of an Anti-Spyware program but this should remain as a stand alone product which achieves excellent detection and removal of Spyware.

Hi Tutty!

Nice lucid letter!

First - I am not employed by IObit, - just trying to help here in the Forum

Regarding the icon - it can't be the icon that is using the kB, it must mean that the program is active.

You should be able to remove the icon by configuring the program.

If you feel that the Spyware defence is not doing much, then disable it.

And click it on once in a while.

I wonder why it takes so long for your program to appear, mine uses 9-10 seconds, and as I said our machines are almost the same, so it must be some of your applications that are slowing things up.

Perhaps your anti-virus is checking the program every time it is set to come up? This should be easily remedied by allowing AWC to run.

Regarding the upcoming Spy defense I am mostly of the same opinion, but I expect that they will make an option to click it on or off, and that will be ok with me.

I am not working on the computer all the time, so when I am doing something else or attempting to think, I'll start a cleaning or a check, then I will have accomplished something, if I fail at the other tasks. :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

The main point I am trying to make in my posting regarding the Memory Usage of the Adavanced WindowsCare 2 Personal is that I find it very odd indeed that a software program which is designed to improve the performance of most computers and which is NOT actively monitoring your pc or performing any Real-Time Protection has a Task Bar Icon which has very heavy Memory of 26,000k to 33,000k for a simple little Icon which simply sits down there on the Task Bar and is NOT actually doing anything at all.

I am aware you may feel that I am complaining about a minor issue.

But as I have pointed out in my original posting many other security software programs installed on my pc which are actively monitoring and protecting my pc from various threats have a lower Memory Usage.

I really do feel the technical guys involved in the creation and development of this software should take a look at the Memory Usage of this simple little Task Bar Icon which currently consumes more Memory than my Anti-Virus/Anti-Syware programs.

I really do want to know why such a little Task Bar Icon which apparently has no other function than sit on the Task Bar and do nothing is using such a lot of Memory if this a design flaw then I feel action should be taken to minimize the Memory Usage of this Task Bar Icon as soon as possible.

After all let us face the fact that Windows AdvanceCare 2 Personal is designed to enhance a computers performance and it should NOT be using excesive amounts of Memory on a simple Task Bar Icon which is not doing anything at all except sit down there on my Task Bar.

Once again I must point out that having Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal not loading up Automatically on Windows Start Up or having set to be minimized to the Task Bar(System Tray) simply results in the program taking to long to appear.

In regards to your comments regarding the Spyware Scan Component of Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal, I personally feel that this software should truly focus on its main purpose of enhancing computers performance and apart from the Spyware Removal scanning component

it is currently doing this in a very thorough manner.

I do feel that you should NOT incorporate design features which do not perform in a thorough and effective manner.

The Spyware Scan and removal function is obviously very limited in its capabilities. I am sure most users of your software would strongly prefer your software to perform ALL its functions effectively and in a competent manner. There is a old saying "A jack of all trades is a master of NONE!" I really do not want Advanced WindowsCare 2 Personal to become bloated with program features that do not achieve excellent standards of performance.

I strongly support your companys development of an Anti-Spyware program but this should remain as a stand alone product which achieves excellent detection and removal of Spyware.

Hi Tutty,

FYI.

Please find attached the tumbnail image of the Task Manager, when AWC is in the Taskbar. (Zoom to see a better image.)

It is 696 KB, and as solbjerg points out, there must be something else in your case that the AWC uses that much memory.

I wonder what other program is using the CPU at that time in your case.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype,

I am pleased to hear that AWC 2 Personal is only using 696KB on your pc. As I have previously pointed out every time I check the Memory Usage of AWC 2 Personal via the Task Manager it is always using 26,000KB to 33,000KB.

The only software that I have installed on my pc that runs constantly in the background includes- AVG free Anti-Virus, Windows Defender and ThreatFire.

All other software installed only runs on demand when it is required, I have also disabled any unneeded Windows Services so they are not adversely affecting the performance of my pc.

I really do not understand how any of the software I have installed could cause AWC 2 Personal to use such a lot of Memory.

I also realize that users of AWC 2 Personal are NOT entitled to any technical support from Iobit. Perhaps there is someone reading this forum who has some advanced pc technical knowledge and hopefully they may be able to offer a few suggestions as to why AWC 2 Personal is using so much Memory on my pc when it clearly has NO Auto Care functons and only runs on demand.

Hi Tutty,

If you are still using AWC Personal 2.5.7.833, why don't you try the most recent one AWC Personal 2.6.0.835.

The new version's MemCleaner is infact the SmartRAM and with your amount of RAM, you may really benefit from that program, selecting all checkboxes including the "Run at Windows Startup" setting only in this program's setting.

In my above post, the AWC was Professional, and for Awcl.exe the memory usage is around 450 KB.

After clean-uninstall, registry clean, unblocking and installing with Admin rights and running with Admin rights, can you give us the screenshot of Task Manager's "Processes" tab just after AWC Personal is run and minimized to taskbar, it may help for tracing.

Cheers.

Hi enoskype and sunny staines,

I have completely uninstalled AWC 2 Personal and I sorry to say this software has caused further problems on my pc.

After uninstalling and rebooting my pc I decided to check the Microsoft Updates Website for any available updates for my pc before installing the new version of AWC 2 Personal that you advised me to try.

However when I attempted to check for updates I got a message from the website stating that I had to add the website to my Internet Security Trusted Sites Zone. When I checked the sites I had added to my Trusted Sites Zone - All website addresses previously added were all completely gone!!!!.

This only happened when I uninstalled AWC 2 Personal. Fortunately it was a simple matter to enter them again. But talk about AWC 2 Personal adding insult to injury!

I have installed the new version you have advised me to try and the Memory usage of 26,000KB to 33,000KB was exactly the same as the previous version.

I no longer wish to use AWC 2 Personal because of its excessive Memory usage when it is simply doing nothing to maintain my pc in real-time and nobody seems to know why this is happening on my pc.

The fact that AWC 2 Personal has managed to wipe out all the website addresses listed in my Internet Explorer Trusted Sites Zone when I uninstalled it, well "That is the straw that broke the camel's back".

I am sorry but I am uninstalling this software and I will not be trying it again in the forseeable future.

OK Tutty,

I will not ask you not to uninstall AWC Personal, but this is really too early to throw a towel.

Perhaps, you may change your mind when AWC 3 is available soon!!!

If I were you, I would also look for a different reason for the high memory usage of Awcl.exe.

For your information, also, for Windows update, I have been asked before to put the address to Trusted sites zone by WU, but, now this zone is empty and Windows Update works perfectly allright witout asking to put it's site to trusted zone.

Here, I am using McAfee security (known to be the worst to interfere with other sofrware with system guard protection and also doing 85% of what ThreatFire is doing), ZoneAlarm, SS&D and Tea timer, Ad-Aware 2007, SpywareBlaster, Windows Defender and both AWC Pro and Personal, without any conflicts at all.

The only thing I have to do is to check the "off" checkbox of McAfee's "SystemGuard protection" to disable not to interfere with AWC and slow down when it is searching Security Defence and searching Registry fix, and when SS&D is immunizing.

Anyway, thanks for trying the advices to solve the problem.

All the best, cheers.

Archived