IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Allow continuous running of Defrag in Background

I watch Stock market sites from which there is a continuous stream of data coming to my computer

In these circumstances, is it advisable to keep running smart defrag in the background ?

Presently I run smart defrag once in a month only to defragment my disk

I do not load the same on start up

Please advise

Thanks

Hi shravank

I am not a fan of the automatic defragging.

I usually check the fragmentation once a week and if the percentage of fragmentation is above 2-3% I run a defrag (defrag&optimize/fast optimize). I read somewhere that the level of slowing down of the machine due to fragmentation start to rise at a greater and greater rate the more fragmented it is. In my view a level of 5% fragmentation is acceptable too - above 10% will in my experience bring about a noticeable sluggishness.

In your case it depends upon the level of use of your machine how often a defragging should occur - I think a monthly schedule may be too seldom, you could try once a week and see how that works. :-)

What is the level of fragmentation when you run it once a month?

Cheers

solbjerg

I watch Stock market sites from which there is a continuous stream of data coming to my computer

In these circumstances, is it advisable to keep running smart defrag in the background ?

Presently I run smart defrag once in a month only to defragment my disk

I do not load the same on start up

Please advise

Thanks

Hi shravank

I am not a fan of the automatic defragging.

I usually check the fragmentation once a week and if the percentage of fragmentation is above 2-3% I run a defrag (defrag&optimize/fast optimize). I read somewhere that the level of slowing down of the machine due to fragmentation start to rise at a greater and greater rate the more fragmented it is. In my view a level of 5% fragmentation is acceptable too - above 10% will in my experience bring about a noticeable sluggishness.

In your case it depends upon the level of use of your machine how often a defragging should occur - I think a monthly schedule may be too seldom, you could try once a week and see how that works. :-)

What is the level of fragmentation when you run it once a month?

Cheers

solbjerg

Varies between 5-10%

Archived